HR Boards
April 16, 2024, 11:52:05 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Behind the Curtain  (Read 2392 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 07, 2016, 08:14:01 PM »

I was responding to some other posts when I realized I was hijacking them and decided to start a discussion on it's own thread.

I started writing this in the Teen Titans thread...

You know - I kind of miss the days before social media where we didn't get all the behind the curtain views of how things work in the industry.  Percy may do a fine job on this title on his own but it will be hard to give it a shot when you know there were "creative differences" going on.

Of course, I read this right after the John Byrne thing which may be slanting my comments.  But I miss the days I could enjoy someone's creativity without being jaded by who that person is.  This hits me even more on TV and movies because celebrities feel the need to preach to everyone about social and political issues.  Wait, maybe this hijack needs its own thread...... Grin

Continuing my thoughts.....

Does anyone else miss the days they could read a comic or watch a movie and love the story, art, or actor/actress without knowing the person behind the art was a douche bag?  I know I sure do.

For example - I love Tom Cruise movies. But when he got obsessed into Scientolgy and started acting like a fool  it made it really hard to watch anything he was in for awhile.  I finally had to just force myself to forget about all that stuff because, well, I F*(#ING LOVE HIS MOVIES.  But even then, it's always in the back of my head what an idiot he is.

Sigh.   Sad

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 11:36:55 PM »

Smiley

Absolutely !!! Not only for not getting to see how the sausage is made aspect, but for comics spoilers alone. Going up to a rack and seeing those covers for the first time was always such a joy. Now, seeing them months ahead of time ruins that initial joy. Sure we can technically have that "first time joy" when we see them in Jpeg format, but it just isn't the same.

And I love Tom Cruise as an actor (Hard to find a bad movie he has done) Doesn't bother me at all that he is dumb enough to believe or be shamed into believing that Scientology bull. A foolish great actor can still act.
 Wink Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 04:28:09 PM »

This is a toughie. I wish all my comics weren't spoiled by 'news' reporting, as I did always love the fresh off the rack aspect. I also always love the new solicits release so I can get excited about upcoming covers!!

And there's a bit where I do want to know a bit about the Wizard. Some of their work practices, how they feel, it draws me in. Brian Woods is a Vermont grown man. He's doing the 'Rebels' comic about men from that area during the Revolutionary War. He grew up hearing stories about the original settlers and colonials that is his history and birthright. Because he spoke so about what it mean to him to share what gives him pride as a person from where he's from, I wanted to follow the comic just because it was a labor of pride and love of his home and history.

But, ignorance can be bliss as well. Do you want to be a fan of the way and style Adrian Peterson runs in a game, while knowing that he used a switch of a tree branch to strike a child under 5? (which, yup, just for the briefest of moments, I'll step outside the rules and call it like I see it-child abuse). So, no, I don't wish the Child Abuser well in his career.

It's also why, after some convention revelations into how Scott Lobdell was treating a fellow writer, a woman, that most of won't touch his book either.

So...to know too much, or to know too little?

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS