HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:53:41 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: When heroes die  (Read 11185 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 07, 2016, 03:01:46 PM »

I use to be a huge John Byrne fan. Even after hearing for years how much of a weird, angry guy he is, I still enjoyed his art. Then, as I aged, I grew to see and hear even more things about this "man" and that started to effect how I thought about the person AND his work. Now, with this last "Byrne'ism" I don't think I can ever see a piece of art from this douche without having my personal feelings of him override my enjoyment of his work.

This dude is just a walking piece of shit. I will never, ever, ever buy another book that would, in the end, by the mere purchase of said book, give him one single penny. He will never receive another dime from this Ex-Byrne fan. He can piss off. He is truly one of the most sour, pathetic persons I have ever seen. I will no longer even call him an "artist", as he doesn't deserve that title. He isn't crazy, he is just a piece of bearded shit.

You can decide to not let this bother you, but I can't. HERE is the last straw for me.

Bye, Bye, Byrne. May your remaining time on Earth be the Hell you deserve.
 Angry
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:03:18 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 08:01:20 PM »

Definitely a huge  misunderstanding that got out of hand.  I doesn't reach the level of hate from me as it does you but I do hope they kiss and make up.  John needs to man up and let it go.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 11:58:33 PM »

John Byrne will never and has never said sorry about anything. He is a curmudgeon in the Nth degree.

Byrne once said that Chris Reeves (Superman) was a jackass (or something like that) because Chris was giving money to a spinal injury charity only after he became crippled and not before.

The "joke" he made about Joe Quesada's trip to Florida (when Joe had to go for his mom's funeral), is what got him permanently banned from Marvel.

He has seen like 4 movies that he enjoys and hates every single one of the Marvel/DC movies that he has "tried to watch" (I believe it was Thor he said he lasted for about 10 minutes before he shut it off, but it could be another one) and has refused to watch most of them for even a second.

I can go on and on and on about this D-Head, but I won't. I am not giving him anymore time. But you should look at some of the stuff he has said and done. He is the ultimate jerk wad.

EDIT - Ha, even though I should walk away now, I know, I know,  Cheesy I just typed "Stuff John Byrne said" into my search and got THIS . Take a look at your leisure. And this is only about 1% of his stuff. You should also follow "JohnByrneSays" on Twitter if you are interested. He is not Byrne, maybe a fan? But certainly a guy that quotes Byrne and posts art from time to time. Not all bad stuff, but he doesn't hold back when Byrne says or does something either.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 12:04:54 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 03:12:03 AM »

I've enjoyed a lot of his work but over the yrs he's become a pretty big jackass.

just seems to be very angry and unforgiving.

shame
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 01:30:05 PM »

He is getting worse.

But don't get me wrong, I have no intention of avoiding his work that I already have or that I will "see" in the future, I don't have that kind of issue with the man. I can separate my issues with him from his art. But I will NOT contribute another dime to this man's bank account. Never again will I buy something that will point more coin in that jack-ass' pocket.

And yes I am sure he is fine without me and the minuscule amount of money (pennies) that he will be missing out on, but that isn't the point
Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 04:20:14 PM »

I can say that I've hated John Bryne for years. (and I probably should say I hate a person).

But, he's despicable. To the latino comments about Alba as Sue Storm, to things he's said about fans and other pros, he can go f*ck himself up the @ss with a dried out pine tree.

For whatever reason, he's never been able to see that the industry has passed him by. His figure work has long lost it's dyanmic movement (this goes back 15 years or more, as far as I'm concerned), all his woman ARE the same Sue Storm woman figure, and his males all hold the same looks and postures. Sorry to say, but it happens to each and every artist. It just does, when doing reptition of work for 30 years.

But he's embittered that he is no longer the 'it' guy. Once he started to fade to the background, his angry voice grew louder from the back. For that, I've mostly avoided his work because his stuff and his writing no longer looked good. At all.

As to this suprise birthday gift, I am in the same boat as him-initially. Getting strange packages in the mail-unexplained, and then with my name on it, without knowing who or what it's about? You bet your ass I would be scared! I would need answers!! Learning the result, I'd feel better, but I don't think I'd want it to continue either, what with how I felt about it before.

But this is where I would turn in a different direction and not try to publicly flog the guy who started it (which, to me, was sycophant fan behavior anyways.).

But he's a piece of shit.

Jimmy T since 2001
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 03:32:49 PM »

On some level I can see Bryne being ticked off. The guy is in the public eye - as far as hardcore comic fans go, at least. Maybe he's had a stalker scare we don't know about. Perhaps even more than one.

Plus, being as outspoken (or cranky) as he is he's probably had some bad run-ins with people.

Granted, I didn't read in that article he opened a package and a bunch of baby doll heads fell out with an unknown white powder. Still, I could see how he found the items off-putting.

The guy who did it outted himself and it seemed like his heart was in the right place. So, to me, it should've ended there.

To keep hammering the guy was obviously unnecessary. And for people to comment that he "didn't really apologize" is just douche gasoline. ("Douche Gasoline" is also the name of my band. (Not really.))

Until someone brings up something Bryne did or said I'm out of the Bryne loop.

There are many people in the comic industry who's work I enjoy, but I have no interest in following them on Twitter. Some are even muted to keep me from seeing them retweeted. (It doesn't block the comments if the tweet is embedded, but no system is perfect.) This can extend to the rest of the entertainment industry as well.

I want to keep liking their work and I don't want anything outside from that work to take away from it.

Still it's going to happen. Especially in light of inappropriate sexual conduct allegations or just knowing people in the industry who have had bad experiences with certain individuals (in some cases entire editorial staffs).

That kind of thing I can't ignore.

If I see the accused person at a con I'm not going to make a scene, but I'm not going to engage with them either.

One writer who was accused of such (I won't say their name) produced work that was an inspiration of mine. I can still read the work that I already own - pre-allegations - with some fondness. I guess because my emotional link is with the finished product and not the person. That being said, I won't purchase any of their further comics. The stink is too thick.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 04:24:17 PM »

There are many people in the comic industry who's work I enjoy, but I have no interest in following them on Twitter. Some are even muted to keep me from seeing them retweeted. (It doesn't block the comments if the tweet is embedded, but no system is perfect.) This can extend to the rest of the entertainment industry as well.

I want to keep liking their work and I don't want anything outside from that work to take away from it.

You know that's a good idea Tok.  i may need to do the same as it does interfere with my enjoyment.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 12:47:46 PM »

Joss Whedon.

I feel exactly the same way about this guy.  Used to be a big fan of his from back in the days of Firefly and Astonishing X-Men.  But then came Facebook, Twitter, etc., and I came to find out what total garbage this individual is.  He is one of these all-too-common types who screech tolerance and diversity yet practices zero tolerance for diversity of thought

The final straw came when Whedon, self-proclaimed champion of feminine equality, publicly made a misogynistic pedophilia joke about a group of innocent teenage cancer survivors who did nothing more than share a photo-op with a legislator who happened to belong to a different party, then offered a half-hearted non-apology when fans called him out on it.

Not sure if I can live with myself to go see anything connected with this $#!thead, even if it means missing a Marvel movie.  Sure, like Byrne, he'll still be famous without my money.  But at least I can look at myself in the mirror knowing I didn't spend any more valuable time and money on this a$$hole.

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 03:07:25 PM »

made a misogynistic pedophilia joke about a group of innocent teenage cancer survivors

Wow!! Shocked
I missed all that. What did he say? I mean, don't repeat it, no no, but is there a link to that or was that something you heard in person or ...
Man!!!!
 Shocked

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 03:57:53 PM »

made a misogynistic pedophilia joke about a group of innocent teenage cancer survivors

Wow!! Shocked
I missed all that. What did he say? I mean, don't repeat it, no no, but is there a link to that or was that something you heard in person or ...
Man!!!!
 Shocked

Wow.  I found this online.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4456058/Director-Joss-Whedon-inadvertently-trolls-cancer-survivors.html

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/29/batgirl-director-joss-whedon-takes-internet-break-trump-joke-exploiting-teen-cancer-victims-backfires/

Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 04:24:18 PM »

His "apology": "So I tweeted something that inadvertently offended everyone except the people I was trying to offend. I'm sorry. I'll be quiet for a bit."

Translation: "I'm sorry, I meant for my vile comments to be offensive only to the people who disagree with my opinions, not the people who agree with me and think everything I say is clever."

1.  Who finds misogynistic humor involving pedophilia funny, clever, or even acceptable?  Certainly one would hope not everyone he "inadvertently offended."

2.  He has recently increased the frequency of hateful comments since the election.  He's entitled to his opinion, but these girls were not running for office.  They were just there to meet the congressman.

3.  He's supposed to be Super Feminist, yet he's degrading women teenaged girls.

4.  He's supposed to be Super Feminist, yet he's degrading women teenaged girls who are being recognized for surviving cancer.

5.  Then, does he apologize for his sleazy comments?  No.  He apologizes for offending the wrong people.

Well, Mr. Whedon, I happen to be one of the people you meant to offend with your comments.  I am someone who has a different opinion than you on some things.  I am also a father of a teenaged daughter and a brother of an ovarian cancer survivor.  Mr. Whedon, my wish would be for you to just go away.  But if you decide to continue to produce work I will never see, then please do it quietly and shut the  f Lips sealed up.

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 04:43:04 PM »

Still not knowing what he said, I can't speak on this, maybe I will look through his tweets for it.
I just want to see what he said originally to start all this fervor.
BRB

EDIT -
The only thing I found is the comment on Ryan and rating women on a 10 scale. Is that the one?

EDIT 2 -
Ohhh, I see now. Yeah, that one back-fired.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:53:14 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 05:45:59 PM »

I'm one of those he intended to offend also and I'd say he was successful.   But if I boycott every Hollywood idiot there wouldn't be much left to watch.  I'm just going to keep my head above the stupidity and watch and read the things I enjoy.

Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 06:06:02 PM »

I'm one of those he intended to offend also and I'd say he was successful.   But if I boycott every Hollywood idiot there wouldn't be much left to watch.  I'm just going to keep my head above the stupidity and watch and read the things I enjoy.

Very well put indeed.  I guess I don't know what a lot of these Hollywood idiots individually believe or say (although it's probably not hard to guess) and I can fool myself and watch/read their work with a somewhat comfortable ignorance.  But when you have a Whedon or a Byrne or someone else you may have admired who publicly and gleefully spout their offensive garbage at everyone, it becomes more difficult to separate the person from the work.

To put it another way, it may be difficult to eat a meal suspecting the hands that prepared it to be less than clean but many could put it out of their minds and eat it anyway.  It would be much more difficult to eat it when you know where the cook's hands have been and he smiles daring you to eat it.  Tongue Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS