HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:19:50 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Death of X  (Read 8490 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 06, 2016, 06:37:59 PM »

Ugh, yeah, whatever.

One thing I will say that I had not noticed with all my X-reads, since the Secret War finale was ... and this is a spoiler because of what happens in this issue ...
but there has been no sign of Jamie Madrox and now I see why. He's dead. Killed, along side a lot of other Mutants, by the Terrigen Cloud floating around the Marvel Earth. A cloud that Storm, who controls clouds all the damn time, has no control over and can somehow not just send it or blow it away?

Regardless, what a total bullshit way to end a great character.

And don't let the write up, either at the front or at the end of this issue (I forget where it was at), fool ya. Marvel tried to twist how good this is and how long everyone involved worked on this. Ha. Utter shit. Better fire Charles Soule right this second if that is the case. If this is his Hickman opus he fell waaaaaaay too short. (And I don't think it is).

Gonna finish this as I have to see it through all four issues, see how bad they screw up or maybe, hopefully, to see them pull their ass out of the shit-pile, wipe off their behind and turn this around.

Doubt it, but either way I am in for all four issues. It's bi-weekly anyway so it should only take two months six years.

3 outta 10 make up whatever ya want here as that is what Marvel is doing.
 Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 08:51:49 PM »

So by the time it hits MU you'll be able to tell us whether or not to read it, right?  (although we all know I will no matter what)

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 09:39:20 PM »

Well, it's only 4 issues and it SHOULD be done in 5 more weeks (Wednesdays), so yes, it should be well over by then, but yeah, I will tell ya if you should bother or not, though if it is falling on deaf ears anyway ...
 Grin Grin

It's almost like Marvel, or at least this part of Marvel, the Inhuman/X-Men side, is becoming Dynamite Comics. Just trying to find what works by trying all kinds of shit to push comics, instead of just telling good stories that will make good shit and thus sell comics.

Guess what publisher I don't read? Yeah, Dynamite  Grin
(okay, other than Ellis' James Bond, but I mean, of course that)
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »

Wow, I am tired of reading bad comics.
 Undecided

This is pretty damn bad. Unless ...

There are things that go on here that just don't make sense like
Cyclops tells the entire world that the Inhumans are trying to kill them. That when they released the Terrigen Cloud, it is poisonous to both Mutants and Humans
, but that is not all. There other things in here too that just boggles my mind. Now I know this is suppose to be what happened 8 months or a year ago or how ever many weeks Marvel has just now decided it is, so I am keeping that in mind, but this just isn't how Cyclops would have reacted.

This entire thing, this story, is just stupid UNLESS Marvel is
making Emma Frost a bad guy again. I mean, back to evil type of bad guy. It would work only if she is controlling Cyclops. That is the only thing that would make this understandable to me. Again, there is just a lot of shit here that isn't ... Isn't right, and Emma taking control and causing chaos is the only thing I can think of. At least right now.

Another thing that both pleases me and confuses me further is that we are shown that
Storm, with help from Crystal (or in this case Crystal, with help from Storm) can push the Terrigen Cloud away from area's
. So why did they stop doing that? I know it isn't really feasible to keep doing it constantly, but ...

I know I am coming in this with litlle current (Before Secret Wars) X-Men knowledge, other than what was in Uncanny Avengers ... ooops, I mean Axis  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Angry, but I am really scratching my head this book.

I'm gonna finish it, have to see why/how Scott died, but I don't think I will enjoy the journey, nor the end result.

Unless ...

Grin

4 outta 10 answers blowing in the wind
 Undecided

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 09:33:52 PM »

not reading any of this (except New X-Men) so will have to wait 6months before i can really comment of the story.  That said...i totally agree that this issue seems like something Storm could take care of in less than a day by using winds to contain and push it into space.

I also agree that none of it makes too much sense.

1st the clouds was release during Infinity story line released in Oct 2013 (3yrs ago)...well before Secret Wars and well before "8months later".  there were tons of stories of terrigeneses but no one ever mentioned that Mutants got sick?  is there a plot point somewhere/anywhere that shows the sickness takes time and prolonged exposure? nope, just all of  a sudden, months (marvel time) after its release mutants are now dying/getting sick upon contact.

The Bomb went off over New York, city with the highest populate of heros/villians mutant and otherwise so i would have to assume everyone in NYC (and Salem Center for that matter) would be affected first yet it doesnt seem to be a problem until it hits Muir island.

Just kind of sloppy and feels ShoeHorned in.

Anyway...hope it improves and explains some of the logic gaps but it will have to wait 6months before i can form an opinion.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 11:14:20 PM »

Yep, and you're only touching on half of the problems with all this.

So poorly thought out it is laughable.

I know what the problem was/is ... they had set plans to push Inhumans and not deal with the Mutants too much, then things got worse and Marvel cut ties with FOX and then FOX and Marvel worked out a deal and the result of that coming together is we get a cluster.

Yeah ... Yeah, that sounds about right.  Cheesy

Glad the FF wasn't involved too much in this crap as their return is not too far away !!! YAY !!!!

I will also be glad when Marvel, well, main idea Marvel, gets back to telling Hero vs Villain stories and not Hero vs Hero.
 Undecided
That or people start reading more Valiant !!!!
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 01:44:18 PM »

There is a thought I had after finishing this dog crap, and it's this:
Emma still has Scott in her brain.

Ideas can't die; so if Xavier could subconsciously create an amalgam form of him and Magneto, how impossible is it that Emma could/or be used, even by someone like Sinister, to bring the one true Scott Summers back to life?

Jimmy T since 2001
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 08:11:35 PM »

what this story should have revealed is that Scott actually dies/ceased to be once he absorb a portion of the Void way back in whatever crossover that was (Dark X-mem, the assault on Asgard, Fear itself?).  From that point on, all his actions, included accepting the Phoenix, killing Xavier and attacking the Inhumans, were the Voids.

at least that would explain the complete character assassination that Scott has been through in the past 5+ yrs.

My AvX would have had the Phoenix return, not to jumpstart muntancy or destroy the earth but to actually stop a Void possesed Scott from destroying the earth/universe and the Void attempting to usurp the phoenix force for its own purposes.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 12:20:46 AM »

This book was suppose to be something totally different, back when Marvel was going to send the X-Men to space to help push the Inhumans titles but when FOX and Marvel worked out the X-Men television deal, giving Marvel something in return (Fantastic Four?) Marvel decided to drop the Inhuman push and revamped their entire X-Men thing.

This was about the same time that Marvel was just sitting on their X-Men comics, this last run of titles, not letting any X-Men stories crossover into the regular MU, as again, they were awaiting the okay to ship them off planet.

Or not.

But I believe this to be true.
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 11:33:48 PM »

I read issue 1 today and I thought, "It's not as bad as the guys are saying."  My only gripe was the unceremonious way that one of my all time favorite characters died for basically no reason.  And they didn't even have his girl, another of my favorites, in it.  But other than that it wasn't that bad.

Then I read issue 2.........

And issue 3.........

And, God save me, issue 4.

Wow. This might be the poster child for poor execution.  I see the potential, I do.  But the characters were all written so...out of character...that it wound up sucking.

At least Perry was half right and that it was
Emma and not Scott
.  But even then, so many others were written out of character that it couldn't redeem itself.

Pretty disappointed in this one.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 10:32:36 AM »

Yep, one of the titles that Marvel did little to no talking about once it was time for release. Sure they promoted the heck out of it early, but when it was clear the changes were happening, yet they had already committed to the basic idea of it, thee was no coming back. They quietly just allowed this garbage to come and go, much like a majority of the horrible events (mini or large) they have published over the last few years (Secret Wars and Civil War ... the original, aside of course)

And Wringer is right about Scott. He should have a died before, in a much more powerful way than essentially off panel by a stupid disease that killed him and one of my favorite mutants (Madrox) so needlessly and absolutely with no emotional resonance.

I have never been a "fan" of Scott Summers. I liked him, but he wasn't one of my favorite characters. However, Scott has/had been pissed on for far too many years before this and his death here, so stupid, so nonsensical, I think shows how society (or at least the society in comic fandom) has changed, when a hero, a true hero with range and problems like we all have, is just washed away because he isn't cool enough. I mean the dude did some stupid shit, no doubt, but to be the joke he had become and to meet the end he fell to is just sad. And not sad in the way his death should have been. Sad

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 09:06:15 PM »

what this story should have revealed is that Scott actually dies/ceased to be once he absorb a portion of the Void way back in whatever crossover that was (Dark X-mem, the assault on Asgard, Fear itself?).  From that point on, all his actions, included accepting the Phoenix, killing Xavier and attacking the Inhumans, were the Voids.

at least that would explain the complete character assassination that Scott has been through in the past 5+ yrs.

My AvX would have had the Phoenix return, not to jumpstart muntancy or destroy the earth but to actually stop a Void possesed Scott from destroying the earth/universe and the Void attempting to usurp the phoenix force for its own purposes.

I love everything you said Wringer. Make it happen!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS