HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:13:51 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: LUKE CAGE  (Read 16101 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 29, 2016, 06:01:44 PM »

This drops on Netflix this weekend - surprised none of us have started this thread yet!

Who's going to lock themselves away all weekend and binge it?

Reviews are good so far.  USA today says "Cage is Marvel’s best TV series yet, yet more importantly he's the superhero that the world seems to need most right now, mainly because he’s the most real."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/09/29/marvel-luke-cage-review/91229702/

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 09:17:42 PM »

Sadly the wife is on vacation this week so  Cheesy... who knows? Usually, I watch them all with-in two days and then rewatch them on "her schedule" which usually takes about two weeks, but now I may try and push them all at once as she is here. Just have to convince her she wants to spend 25% of her vacation watching a bullet-proof superhero fight for the folks living in the Marvel ghetto.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I guess my answer is I will either be done in two days or two weeks  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 09:29:10 PM »

I don't understand?  Why wouldn't she want to spend her vacation watching a show about a bullet proof super hero?  Does not compute.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 12:38:38 AM »

I KNOW, RIGHT ??

Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 11:56:39 AM »

I'm still on the first 3 minutes of Daredevil Sn 2.4. Guess that's a good problem to have, right?

Cheesy Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 02:09:44 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 09:26:53 PM »

So a non-spoiler discussion regading about 10 minutes into episode one ...  Grin

Netflix once again nails the opening sequence. Just like always, they find the perfect tone, the perfect look and perfect audio to go along with the visuals.

Oh, and the way they handle the origin of Cage SUCKS ASS !!!!

6 outta 10  Cheesy ... so far  Cheesy ... again ... 10 minutes in  Cheesy. I really liked that opening, but the origin, the way they told and/or handled it was not good.

Okay, hope to watch more soon.
 Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 10:15:42 PM »

Okee-Dokee, finished this series. I liked it, but it's not my favorite of the three (Jessica, Daredevil and Luke being the third) and honestly has a great chance of being my fourth favorite once Iron Fist hits. But hey Iron Fist could over take a lot of character's shows as he is one of the top 10 reasons I was a Marvel fan when I was a kid. His look was just so powerful to me.

But there is some good stuff here, real good stuff. There is also so stuff that doesn't work as well, but that stuff never ruins the show as much as just falls flat for me.

Lots and lots of cool "nods" and easter eggs litter the show, yet sadly, I am sure I missed even more as my early knowledge of Luke is not large. I didn't really get into Luke Cage until Iron Fist came on, so for those that have a strong history with the character will be more than happy, as even with my limited knowledge I was finding a good bit of nods to the comic world/history stuff (some are extremely obvious as they discuss them  Cheesy). It is easy to see where they are going with this show and setting up some 90's titles along the way was part of the plan.
 Smiley

The creative team does a good job of, well, staying black. I mean that in a good way. I think it is important for younger viewers to get that shot at coming on early to a hero they can look up to. I had one. Hell, I had many. Glad they didn't white-wash too much. Sure, the streets and tone are a little comic booky white-washed, that was bound to happen, but they let the "strong black character" be a "strong black character". I missed a couple inner-city references, but yeah, as a 50 year old, white guy, I would wouldn't I?  Good on 'em.

And also, there is one scene in the final episode I think they cut. It just hits like something is missing and I kinda understand why they decided to ax it, if that is what they did (they almost certainly did). I will talk more on that as people get the show completed, but for those that want to know what I am thinking ...
After the final showdown with ... one of the bad guys  Wink, the cops go to surround Luke to take him to jail, but "someone"  Wink stands in-front of him and stops the cops from doing so. I believe, and this is just a feeling based on the flow of the show, the producers might have originally had more of the crowd, that had just watched the fight, come stand with the someone protecting Luke. It just felt like it was going to go there. Ya know, the "No, you are not doing that to this guy"! moment? Well it never happens I think they may have pulled it due to the recent standoffs and situations with police officers. Better to not show another police/black protest situation.

But hell, I could be totally wrong, just seemed that way.

Anyway, while I was a huge advocate of the other shows, I can't come as strong recommending this one, although I think it is worth watching. It isn't something you must blast through. You can take your time. Maybe not as bad ...or slow as Jimmy has been with DD  Cheesy, but no need to rush either.

7 outta 10 "You want to go get a cup of coffee"s
Cheesy
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

EDIT - and as a side note, this show is heavy music related. During one episode there is one scene with a guy doing his thing and I really liked the song/rap whatever. I told my wife that I liked it, and I have finally found out who it was and the name of. It is in episode 5, the guy on stage is Jidenna and the song "Long live the chief" is really powerful stuff. I would post the video of it, but it has show spoilers so I am not, but when you watch episode 5, and there are two guys on stage, one guy at the mic and one guy at the board ... check it out out and listen ... listen to what the guy is saying/rapping
Really good stuff!!!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 11:26:57 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 01:53:49 AM »

I'm only past first two episodes.  Really enjoying it so far.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 08:45:25 PM »

Episode 3

Ohhhhh yeah!!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 09:26:21 PM »

Episode 4

The origin.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you've seen the episode you know why I'm laughing.........And it was AWESOME!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 10:48:01 PM »

I do, and it is.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 02:17:36 PM »

Episodes 5 & 6

Really enjoyed this first half.  Mike Colter is just killing it as Luke Cage - both in Jessica Jones and here.

I'm gonna miss..
Frank Whaley as Scarfe.  He is fun to watch as a sleazball with a little bit of humanity.

Looking forward to the next round of this war.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:30:38 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 05:53:01 PM »

Is "strikethrough" what you intended there, Jeff?
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:17:14 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 05:31:05 PM »

Is "strikethrough" what you intended their, Jeff?
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Ouch! I hate it when I do that!  Fixed!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS