HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:35:42 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: TRINITY  (Read 4142 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 23, 2016, 04:31:57 PM »

Ya know, every once and awhile, you get surprised by a book. It's rare, but it happens. Most times you can tell from the solicit and looking at the price, who is writing, who is doing the pencils or, of course, who is the starring character(s). When you combine those factors, some books you can just avoid all together. For me that was books like:

Marvel's Drax, Foolkiller and Captain Marvel or DC's Telos, Martian Manhunter and Harley Quiin.

Then you have those titles that you have no opinion on, but are willing to take a peek, but end up being pretty much just as you thought ... just not for you. For me, those books were:

Marvel's Star-Lord, Venom: Space-Knight, Silk and Hyperion or DC's Earth 2: Society, Cyborg and Super-Girl

Then there is the titles that you really want to like, really, but just doesn't hit for you at all. Books like:

Marvel's Hellcat, Silver Surfer, Howling Commandos of SHIELD and A-Force or DC's Green Arrow, Blue Beetle and Dr. Fate

Then of course is the rarer bird. The title that you think -
"Eh, I'll give it a look but I am sure it won't be something I want to add to my reading list"
And they end up really hitting for you and not only make your list, but rise further up your reading order than some of the other titles that you already read. For me those books are:

Marvel's Nighthawk, Red Wolf, Weird World, Vision (all of which are now canceled  Angry) and Totally Awesome Hulk or Dc's Omega Men, Lobo (also canceled), Superman and now ... Trinity.

Trinity was a book I first flipped through slowly, reading a bubble or two along the way, but when I got to about the half-way point, I found I was being pulled into this story a little more than I thought I would be, so I stopped started over and actually read the thing. It got me.

Now this is NOT an action story, certainly more of an emotional book (though not really emotional at all), but when I put this book down, I immediately looked over at Dave and told him that he needs to read it, as he was not planning on taking the time to try and he didn't really care for Manapul's (sp?) Flash run (It was "okay" according to him). I don't know yer if he has or not, but we'll see.
 Grin

Bottom line, if you were on the fence, and have the time/money, this may be a book that finds you. Maybe not. I really can't describe what hit for me, and while I can't honestly say I would pay even $2.99 for this ... yet, if this keeps going like this ... possibly.

7 outta 10 different Supermen
 Grin

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:30:58 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 06:37:43 PM »

Interesting!  I have this in my "Wish List" on Comixology for the same reason as you; was curious but don't expect it to grab me.  Was it as big a surprise as Superwoman?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 05:42:59 PM »

Interesting!  I have this in my "Wish List" on Comixology for the same reason as you; was curious but don't expect it to grab me.  Was it as big a surprise as Superwoman?

No. (Sadly Cheesy) Just ... really nothing you need to read, really. Just a good intro book. Not really sure why I liked it so much, now that it has been a few days. I do remember liking it, but I'll be damned if I can truly remember why.
 Cheesy Cheesy
I wouldn't pay the full price, really, but I will keep you posted if you should jump on. Issue #1 is nothing you need, other than a very interesting ending ... oh yeah, I forgot about that  Cheesy Cheesy. The ending is not "Super-Woman" great (what is?) but it did end on a "WTF?" type of moment. Yeah, it may be a cool issue #2.

I will let you know!!
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 03:44:05 PM »

... I wouldn't pay the full price, really, but I will keep you posted if you should jump on.

It is getting closer to a book I think you should read, or at least try. Maybe not there all the way, but as much as I enjoyed last issue and didn't really know "why", this one I know exactly why. It is a good issue.

Issue #2

Okay, I am on. I think I will drop the Titans (due in no small part to that panel art by Booth), to make this my 14th DC proper book I am reading (or I will just add it and keep Titans on  Cheesy), as it deserves a spot in my reading rotation.

There is a great bit of misdirection and purposeful confusion going on with this opening arc that I feel would work even better if you were to read issues one and two back to back (I strongly suggest it actually) but yeah, this is getting good. Or better I guess as issue #1 was good on it's own.

Looking over my list, and not ranking this yet, I would say that as of now (an important caveat) I would easily put this in my top 10 DC titles. And that is after the recent Superman title being so good.  Grin

Is that a "buy" recommendation? Maybe not, if you are only buying five or six DC titles, but if you are buying nine or ten, then yeah, I think this could easily squeeze into you pull list. Easily.

8 outta 10 Baptized Kryptonians
 Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 11:14:51 AM »

Issue #4

Not sure how I feel about this title now 2 months later from my last post. Not sure if it is a case of getting use to the flow and rapid release schedule of the other Bat/Superman/WW books which, by just volume alone, are moving their stories at a much more accelerated pace and thus making this monthly book of their adventures (or adventure) seem like it is moving way to slow for me. It seems like I have been reading this same story for ... months  Cheesy.

I hope you know what I mean. I read Superman and we are already on the 9th different story (not true) and Batman is also just rolling along, while this title, this TRINITY, is still on the first one. Yes, I know it started much later, but the monthly schedule of this title, starring the same people as the other books, does seem slower. To me.
 Cheesy

That said, I am still enjoying this title, although this last issue was the worst of the four issues so far. So keep that in mind when I grade this a little lower. I am still feeling the odd effects of a slow story (though it isn't) and this one issue just didn't "wow" me. Even still ...

6 outta 10 - Men's feet on Themyscira?
 Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS