HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 09:16:05 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Flash - Season 3  (Read 21736 times)
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 04:43:07 PM »

As I go through this third season, I've noticed another theme that emerges intermittently.  Basically summed up by H.R.'s quote:
“Barry’s superpower isn’t speed. It’s hope.”

I find it a really cool wink that Barry's character is so deeply connected to hope considering a certain ring his comic counterpart briefly wears.  Cool

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 06:26:57 PM »

Finished the third season on Netflix last night.  Really enjoyed the last several episodes.  I thought the Savitar reveal was very well done.

I managed to miraculously avoid the spoilers and thought that the way they executed ...
HR's hero moment in which he sacrificially rescued Iris and switched places with her
... was brilliant.

What I didn't care for was the finale of the season.  I found the trite use of Diabolus ex Machina at the very end to be frustatingly lazy and clichéd.

And after much heartache and suffering, the heroes finally vanquished their foes.  And they all lived happily, ever ..... UNTIL CENTRAL CITY SUDDENLY GETS ATTACKED BY THE SPEED FORCE!!!!!   Shocked  OH NO!!!!  PEOPLE ARE DYING!!! Shocked  AND THE ONLY WAY TO STOP IT IS FOR BARRY TO LEAVE FOREVER!!!! 

Gimme a break.  Barry & Co. worried, wrung their hands, and jumped half-cocked into all kinds of messes all season to prevent Iris from dying.  Yet in the span of about 90 seconds, he essentially sends himself to purgatory to save the city and, with the exception of a couple of tears and handshakes, he and everyone seems cool with it.  Tongue 

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2017, 01:52:00 AM »

And just a couple other thoughts.  There were several characters in the beginning that I did not think I would like, especially HR and Tom Felton's character. But by about midway through the season I found myself really getting invested in them.

Except for Whiny Wally West.  I really can't stand that little twerp.  They really desperately need to shove his insufferable ass back into the Speed Force or the lifeless alternate Earth or the Mesozoic Era and leave him there for good.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2017, 07:30:43 PM »

HR, while I was quite annoyed with early on, turned out to be the greatest kind of hero after all. Simply outsmarting everyone involved. Just...brilliant. I'm not sure he'll fully get his due, to be honest. These shows don't get a lot of time to ruminate on what has happened to them-unless you're the central figure, and it's part of your origin story. Then you can stew in it forever!!

The ending...I"m still puzzled over it, to be honest.
Has the Speed Force (SF) always needed a speedster with in it to sustain it? Has there always been other speedsters in it? Why not some other evil Zoom from another world? Whats with the SF love connection with Barry? Why did it wait until the climax of events before coming for Barry? Couldn't it have taken Savitar before that event? Whatever is how I felt about it. Savitar climax was decent, if not pretty good, but the show finale was wanting.

Except for Whiny Wally West.  I really can't stand that little twerp.  They really desperately need to shove his insufferable ass back into the Speed Force or the lifeless alternate Earth or the Mesozoic Era and leave him there for good.

All these things and more!!! "Why don't I have powers? I want super powers! Where's my speed powers; life's not fair. Why does Barry have to be my orphan brother? I don't like it. I'm pouting"

He was better in the season prior when it was about Joe trying to find a relationship with him as father/son, or for Wally to realize that both his parents made mistakes, that the one he trusted in lied to him so very badly, that his mother was faaaaar from perfect, and that adjusting to his new world would take growing pains.

Kid Flash Wally is a turd. I think the writing was rough and unbalanced here. Do they want him as an understudy? An equal to Barry in all ways? Better than Barry?

Then again, much of this season suffered from such uneven portrayals of the characters, and their motivations and such.

Don't forget, the nonsense of the Musical to a Flash only viewer was to show a crossover with Supergirl. So, the 'break up with Iris' was simply to stall a storyline until actor's schedules could match up and film a show. That's why. And it stunk to have to watch the 3 episodes around the event.

Jimmy T since 2001
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2017, 11:45:03 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy T link=topic=7449.msg48517#msg48517 date=1501356643!!
The ending...I"m still puzzled over it, to be honest.

Just lazy writing. I can just imagine the writers sitting around after finishing the climax and saying:  "You know, this all worked out pretty neatly, but it goes against the central theme, which is 'Barry Must Suffer.'  So now what?  Another evil speedster? Speed Force ghost? An omnipotent alien with a penchant for American musical theater? Let's shake the Magic 8 Ball and see what random plot device floats to the top."

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2018, 12:51:22 AM »

Ok don’t laugh but I JUST NOW FINISHED SEASON 3 !!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

That twist moment at the end really shocked me and like others said HR really became a character I loved after initially hating him.

In regards to Wally though...

since time caught up to Savitar and erased him, and he gave Wally and Jesse their powers, shouldn’t their speed powers cease to exist as time caught up to them?

I guess if there is one thing consistent about this show it’s - throw logic out the window and just enjoy the ride.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS