HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:02:03 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rann/Thanagar War  (Read 5001 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 09, 2016, 05:18:25 PM »

So I have been struggling with finding a good large run of older comics to read and have decided, after Jimmy's accidental recommendation  Cheesy Wink, that I would try to read Infinity Crisis and 52 AND all the comics related to them that I can find. I am using THIS link to find the issues I need.

Now I know I won't be able to find them all (the shop/Dave won't have them all and I am not trying to pay a lot for this  Cheesy) but I think I can pull enough to get the gist ... get the most of this. However, I don't want to waste a lot of time either, so there is one run that I know I have here somewhere, but ... well ... question ... Is the Rann/Thanagar War really an important piece of the puzzle here? I mean, as much as any of the tie-in issues are. Should I include that mini in this massive read through attempt Or is this just not that important?

Also of note, I am NOT going through all of the list above. I am starting about half way down the list with "Countdown To Infinity Crisis". Then hitting the Omac Project #1 and down from there ... as much as I can. I would like to start at the very top, but I just don't have the access to all those issues, so I will first be reading the "Prelude to Infinity Crisis" which is an oversized book that recaps the most important things prior to Countdown ... or at least that is what I was told.

So I will be hitting:

Prelude to Infinity Crisis
Countdown To Infinity Crisis
Omac Project #1
Superman #217
Day of Vengeance #1 ... but then dropping down to ...
Villains United #1
Batman: Gotham Knights #6
Villains United #2
Villains United #3 ...  but then dropping down to ...
Superman #218
And that is all I know, for right now. I didn't spend too much time at the shop looking for this stuff this morning, but I couldn't find the JSA and Birds of Prey issues that come after Day of Vengeance, but I am hoping with things that I miss, things I can't find, that they will not be too important.
 Cheesy

Wish me luck!!!
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 07:39:02 PM »

Good luck!

I was pretty disappointed in this event.  So keep the expectations low and you'll probably love it.   Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 08:40:43 PM »

Grin

Okay, I will keep that in mind.  Cool

The only reason I am even doing this ... trying this ... is that I still have all those "52" issues that Dave lent me about 3 or 4 years ago and I wanted a little better understanding and/or history of DC happenings just prior to the weekly this time around, in the hopes I get further along. The last time I only got through about 6 issues before the "lost feeling" took over. I am thinking, hoping, if I can get a couple months history of most of the DC Universe right prior to the 52 title, I will enjoy it a little more this time.

It looks great, It gets a lot of praise, including from you (and I think Jimmy, but I don't want to overstep that claim) and I also enjoy most of the characters involved. There should have been no reason why I couldn't get through 52 the last time. It had to be my unfamiliarity last time.
 Smiley

I am betting
 Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 06:31:55 PM »

Oh yeah - 52 is awesome.  And who knows - if I re-read Infinite Crisis now that time has passed I might have a different opinion.  I can certainly understand wanting to get a bit of pre-background before reading a big event like 52.  That makes sense.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 06:25:40 PM »

That makes sense.

Well, we'll see  Cheesy Cheesy My memory may not let me retain anything I learn anyway.  Cheesy

Read through that Countdown issue and got a little bit of a background (though it had a Flash/Wonder Woman crossover that I guess will come around and make sense later? I mean, it was ... well anyway...
Got through -
The Omac Project 1-3 (really digging this)
Villains United 1-3 (I read this not too long ago so kinda just recapping)
and
Day of Vengeance #1 (I also thought I read this, but may take another issue to kick in)

This is gonna be a slow burn.
 Cheesy

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 12:07:42 AM »

Loved Countdown and Villains United but you can skip OMAC and Day of Vengeance.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 01:20:49 AM »

Agreed with Rodney. I never even bothered with DoV. OMAC project felt like more behind the scenes stuff, as opposed to being an interesting story.

I liked R/T War, but that was early career break out days for Ivan Reis. His pencils alone are worth the price of admission!! Just not sure the story is all that great...I mean...they are warring....and...fighting still...as they've always done....but I think there is an end reveal that is more of a nod and a wink than anything. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 12:50:29 PM »

Loved Countdown and Villains United but you can skip OMAC and Day of Vengeance.

Really? Skip Omac? I thought that was one of the main plot points. Or is it not relevant to Crisis or was it just not good?
 Cheesy

Agreed with Rodney. I never even bothered with DoV. OMAC project felt like more behind the scenes stuff, as opposed to being an interesting story.

Really? I kinda liked the first couple issues of DoV (and I think I have read this before ... but I can't remember yet) and I am intersted in the Eclipso/Spectre relationship that is brewing. But really not important to Infinite Crisis? I thought the magic aspect was kinda a major thing, but I could be well off base.

And Omac ... same thing. I am enjoying it, but I thought it would have impact in Infinite Crisis as well. I already know the idea behind it, and the outcome ... for the most part, but if it isn't important, like you and Rodney have stated, maybe I will just skip it then. Maybe. Depends on my mood I guess.
 Cheesy

I liked R/T War, but that was early career break out days for Ivan Reis. His pencils alone are worth the price of admission!! Just not sure the story is all that great...I mean...they are warring....and...fighting still...as they've always done....but I think there is an end reveal that is more of a nod and a wink than anything. Wink

Oh man, didn't know Reis did the art. I'm on it, like you said, for that alone. Thanks
I just read his Batman #6 and I need to find out who inked what (as they had 3 different inkers in the book) but man, his stuff was just amazing in that. Best looking stuff in a long time. His blending of frames, his close up work and the angles he chose to use were just jaw dropping in that issue, but some of the inks were better than the others. The first part looked a little too murky (not bad, just not as great as the later part of the book). The book looked amazing.

Now if King would stop having Batman tell everyone he is Bruce I would be happier!!!
 Angry

Wow, sidetracked much?
 Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS