HR Boards
December 14, 2017, 03:50:41 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BLUE BEETLE - REBIRTH  (Read 750 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 17, 2016, 07:00:28 AM »

So I was thinking about how Marvel just flat out kills their own new titles that feature "b list" type characters when they release over 100 titles each month, given readers with a budget (IE: everyone) the hard choice of trying something new by spending more or dropping a title they enjoy. The later hardly ever happens and who wants to spend that much money on trying something you may not like?

Well is DC kinda doing the same thing here with Blue Beetle? Wouldn't he had been better served being released with a few of the early titles? Allowing customers that still had "DC money" to try him before all the other titles that DC knows their customers will buy?

Doesn't putting out secondary titles late in the release schedule hurt their chances? Wouldn't he had been better served as an early showing? Or maybe people will start dropping certain titles by the time his title hits, so he will pick up those readers? But will he then get dropped when the new JSA book hits?

Just thinking. That is all.
 Cheesy
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 04:41:08 PM »

Maybe in the hands of Giffen he ISN'T  a "b" character.   Grin

"If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?" - Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 04:53:00 AM »

Well, I gave it a go
but my answer is no
and while it didn't blow
and had decent flow
I didn't enjoy the show
but that's just my take.

DOH!!!!

Cheesy

Not for me, I just can't get into Reyes. I was hoping having Kord involved in the title, no matter the capacity, would help me make the transition from a Beetle I really like to this Beetle, but it just doesn't hit for me. It was an okay comic, about average, but one I can certainly do without.

5 outta 10 - crazy backpacks
 Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 05:15:30 AM »

Agreed. I didn't enjoy it either.  Moderately interested in the twist villain at the end but not enough to buy this each month.

"If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?" - Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 02:56:30 PM »

I won't lie; when Jaime Reyes came on the scene, as Blue Beetle after all that Infinite Crisis stuff, I thought Giffen and John Rodgers (of Levarage tv show writing fame) and Cully Hamner and later Rafa Alburqurque did an amazing new take on the teenaged boy who became a superhero. I loved it-absolutely adored it. The culmination of it at issue 24 when Jaime and the scarab were one, with the same mind and same mission became a moment that I fondly remember again and again. No more fighting the scarab's tactics for utter destruction of all targets, no more Jaime trying to run or hide from the responsibility thrust on him, no more reticence. There was ...acceptance. Acceptance and ...a joining from that issue that hit so very hard when I read it. Just made me adore what was done during that time.

So, I've followed BB again and again since then. New52 tried to redo all of that...and just couldn't hold a candle to it.

I have all those original issues in trades (I still do enjoy all the stuff that did happen afterwards as well).

I wish I will be able to enjoy this BB in the same manner...but I don't think that will occur. Just not sure.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 07:26:28 PM »

Well let us know if it gets back to the level that you really enjoyed it. I am not saying I will like it then, but I would be willing to give it another go.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 06:16:03 PM »

First 1 issues feel like "hey lets cram as much as the old feel good Jaime Reyes feeling" as possible.

So bigly wordy without saying much kind of annoyed me.

And I don't care for this Ted Kord presentation. Could be better.

Sticking around for a bit, but for how long? Not sure....

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 07:22:51 AM »

Well let me know if it gets better.

I was not at all happy with what I read, sadly.  Undecided
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 08:03:30 PM »

Issue 2 was by far, hands down, the worst example of a comic that I can think of in I don't know how many years.

It was so damned stupid, so horribly insipid that it was insulting to read.

A metahuman gang, called the Posse, who are street bangers but not purely criminals, work a bit to keep their neighborhood safe. The grudgingly work alongside BB, and he feels the same about them. One woman stays back with BB to investigate a fight site, then goes  all Fatal Attraction trying to get BB to kiss her, acknowledge her, then gets upset when he's super confused (like the READERS) about the hell is going on, so she starts a super powered fight with him.

WHAT.

IN.

THE.

F***?!

There was some other nice stuff showing Jaime's family setting, but that was 2.5 pages of the book.

This was so damned awful, there is no 'other chance' for the mag. I'm not trying issue 3 to see if it gets better.

Of course it will. It couldn't get any more f***ing worse. What a piece of shit to roll off the printing press.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 05:18:02 AM »

I guess that sums that up  Undecided
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS