HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 02:35:57 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ranking the Rebirth  (Read 30748 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2017, 01:32:20 PM »

Still have way too much to catch up on to rate/rank the lists as a whole, but to piggyback off Jeff and Jimbo -

Yes!! Priest on Justice League (what should be the main DC book anyway) is a no brainer. I will jump on that like a President Bush on a butt.
( Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy too soon? Too heartless? Too uncaring? Look, I get it, it is bad, he should be punished, ashamed and it should never happen to any woman, but "Assault"? Come on!!!)

If the artist coming on after my boy Sejic does interiors anywhere close to the pictures I have seen of his work, it is at least going to look amazing. I can't say DC isn't trying to make this book look stellar!! (Psst, Marvel, THIS is how you do it)

Need to get a good run of Detective, Hal, Hood, New Supes, Robinson's WW (have to try) and my god I need to get on Super-Sons again!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2017, 04:17:51 PM »

Well, I gave it a long 'thinky' this weekend and I am now no longer going to try and read as many comics as I currently try/hope to read. I am just getting too far behind on the comics I truly enjoy by constantly checking in on various titles or trying new things (which is funny considering what you will read in a second ... haha).
With DC, I had to cut the bi-weekly books by half and also decided to pause my reading on other titles as well. I will no longer try and read:
(The bi-Weekly books)
Action Comics
Superman
Flash
Wonder Woman
(also now going to not peek into)
Titans
Hellblazer
Red Hood
That last one was a tough call for me as it was between New Super-Man and the Hood folks, but while it is still around I want to try and keep up with New Supes. I can't say I enjoy it "more", but I do enjoy it and think its time is limited, so want to stick with it while it is still around)

Another reason I am doing this drop run (also dropping some Marvel and more) is that DC will soon have those 6 new titles hitting that I want to get ready to try.
 Cheesy
Damage, The Immortal Men, The Silencer (The least enticing of the group for me), The Terrifics (!!!!!), New Challengers and Sideways are titles I have to try and if I like ... man ... I will be in trouble if I don't stop trying to read so much. I can't do it now, much less when I add more to the pile. I really need to get down to about 20 to 30 comics a month, but it is soooo damn hard!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 01:54:06 AM »

Day-um, that's some cut down there Perry!!

Just as I was thinking, maybe MORE DC for me, if not that, well, I need more Valiant catching up!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2017, 02:30:28 PM »

Day-um, that's some cut down there Perry!!

Its those damn bi-weekly books.  Cheesy Okay, not just them, but they are helping in killing me. Haha. Trying to keep up with them all and then I get frustrated looking at all the issues I need to read, knowing how little time I get to read and I start feeling like I do't want to read anything.

I never thought I would hate a title coming out every other week but here I am. You think that if I read just 8 DC books I would be fine but when that 8 is 16 issues and then add a few more to that and BAM, suddenly I have 26 issues a month to read just from DC.

Add in the 20 or so from Marvel that I try to keep up with (now down to 12), the Valiant issues (all of them) and the occasional Image (although I have put a halt on most of those to read in huge chunks!!) and a couple other publisher's titles here and there (like Black Hammer!!) and I am up to like 70 issues a month. I can usually only get 40 or so in a month (most times) and I just keep feeling like ... well ... I am starting not to enjoy reading as I feel I am never going to get my feet under me.

I have to cut books, even ones I like, to start getting back "into" the ones I really love (Like Black Hammer!  Grin)

It sucks that I like so many books.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2017, 05:22:16 PM »

I feel the same way Perry which is one of the reasons (the other being cost) that I cut my list down too.  I'm doing better though still not quite there.  My goal is to get caught up by December or I'll cut some more.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2018, 10:51:04 PM »

January 2018

Kicking off the new year!  Here's my current reading list for DC and my ranking of them.

1   Doomsday Clock - It's early but been a fun read so far.
2   Detective Comics - Still my favorite on-going but only because of Tim.
3   Deathstroke - Just a good book overall.
4   Nightwing: The New Order - Fun alternate world book about the Wolfman/Perez Titans.
5   Mister Miracle - Not liking this as much as King's Vision.  I'm actually not sure why I have it this high on the list.
6   Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps - not as much fun as it was in the beginning but still engaging.
7   Deadman by Neal Adams - Fun book, but probably only for me.  Very much like the old Adventure Comics from 70's.
8   Red Hood and the Outlaws - Been fun to read so far.  Not sure how much more road there is to travel though.
9   Super Sons - I keep thinking this is too "kiddie" for me, but I like it anyway!
10   New Super-Man - Momentum is starting to falter.  I think it's almost done anyway but it's been a fun ride.
11   Aquaman - Art is fantastic on this book but the story has drawn out too long.  I'm losing interest.
12   Batman - Not a fan of the way this is written.  I didn't mind it b4 the engagement but now it's painful.
13   Justice League - I've only read one Priest issue so it's not high yet.  I expect this to go up the list this year.
14   Dark Nights: Metal - Can this thing end already?

I'm thinking of picking up Nightwing and Titans based on Perry's sudden praise for the two books.  If they are good I'll likely add them.

Also - going to try and review and revise my ranking each month this year and see how different the list is from January to December!

EDIT:  I'll also be giving The Terrifics and The Immortal Men a try when they come out this year!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:57:03 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2018, 03:29:15 AM »

Can't wait for the Terrifics!! The other newer books from DC has me intrigued at a couple of places. Immortal Men too, maybe Damage?

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2018, 02:59:19 PM »

Okay, I haven't done this to Jeff's comments in awhile, always seem to be Jimmy's, so I am doing this one right now.
 Smiley
Pushing MY thoughts on his feelings
 Cheesy Cheesy

1   Doomsday Clock - It's early but been a fun read so far.

100% agree. Have really enjoyed this much more than I thought I would

Still behind on this. May just have to skip that last arc with the Victims (or whatever that new, and honestly cool to me, group is called) although I really don't want to, for the reason I just stated if nothing else.

3   Deathstroke - Just a good book overall.

Agree again

4   Nightwing: The New Order - Fun alternate world book about the Wolfman/Perez Titans.

And thanks for the push on this title. Really digging what I read so far. Going to start issue #4 and #5 when #6 hits, so I can get that good 3 issue run

5   Mister Miracle - Not liking this as much as King's Vision.  I'm actually not sure why I have it this high on the list.

Uh-Oh ... this is ... not good to hear. I haven't read an issue since issue #2 as I was trying my hardest to wait and read the next 10 issues (and I plan to re-read from the start) when this is done. I have heard after issue #6 DC may be putting the book on hiatus to allow the artist to catch up, much like Image creators do, so I may just breakdown and read up to that point, but you not throwing praise is kinda scaring me. I really loved the first two issues, just as much as his Vision or at least his Omega Men, so I hope it hits better for me.
 Undecided

6   Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps - not as much fun as it was in the beginning but still engaging.

Also behind on, but I agree with both you and Jimmy that it was kind of faltering a tad on the last few issues I did read. Hmmmm, not really a push to continue, so maybe I will wait and just jump in at a later time and let lie the 5 or 6 I am behind
 Undecided

7   Deadman by Neal Adams - Fun book, but probably only for me.  Very much like the old Adventure Comics from 70's.

Have not started this, as I was really not looking forward to another Batman: Odyssey  Roll Eyes May have to take a peek now

8   Red Hood and the Outlaws - Been fun to read so far.  Not sure how much more road there is to travel though.

I am torn on this one. I do enjoy it when I read it, but I just don't feel like I used my time wisely after I am done. So much more out there that I should be reading, is what I feel after I get with an issue of this title. Still, I like it, just not very impactful.

9   Super Sons - I keep thinking this is too "kiddie" for me, but I like it anyway!

I liked it until the x-over. I will have to decide where it goes now. Hopefully will still be a good read for me.

10   New Super-Man - Momentum is starting to falter.  I think it's almost done anyway but it's been a fun ride.

"Momentum is starting to falter." is the perfect way to describe my feelings. Ever since the original artist left, this book has been sliding ever so slightly each month. The title is set to have a slight title change soon; the new title will be New Superman and the Justice League of China". A tad long, but if they are going to start having this be more of a team book (even though it is now, in a way), I may stay on just a little longer.

11   Aquaman - Art is fantastic on this book but the story has drawn out too long.  I'm losing interest.

I can certainly see why you feel that way and even though I haven't reached that point, yet, my feeling turning like yours can't be far off the horizon if this isn't wrapped soon. I do still enjoy it and am looking forward to the next story, but yeah, this one needs to end

12   Batman - Not a fan of the way this is written.  I didn't mind it b4 the engagement but now it's painful.

The ONLY issue I really, fully enjoyed was the carnival issue. And that was like an Elseworld's One-Shot. King is a great writer, but I am just not a huge fan of his Batman

13   Justice League - I've only read one Priest issue so it's not high yet.  I expect this to go up the list this year.

Loved all that I read! Very ... different, actually

14   Dark Nights: Metal - Can this thing end already?

Another thing that needs to wrap. Like now.

I'm thinking of picking up Nightwing and Titans based on Perry's sudden praise for the two books.  If they are good I'll likely add them.

Well, please keep in mind that the praise for the Titans issue was mostly, by a large margin, the art  Cheesy But ... well I guess I did enjoy the story, even coming in late like I did.
Nightwing however I really enjoyed. Still need to find out who this villain is. I don't remember him, but I was out of comics pretty much the entire time Nightwing has his own series. I like him and the way he is using his powers though.

Also - going to try and review and revise my ranking each month this year and see how different the list is from January to December!

Sweet, I need to do that to.
That will make it happen, right?  Grin

EDIT:  I'll also be giving The Terrifics and The Immortal Men a try when they come out this year!

I am sooo eager for most all of DC's New Age of Heroes line. The Terrifics are of course at the top of the list, being an FF type riff, but yeah, other than that title the New Challengers, Immortal Men and Sideways are titles I am chomping at the bit for. The Silencer and Damage are also pulling at my eyes with great fervor. Curse of Brimstone and the Unexpected ... well ... a little less, but still going to try 'em

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »

Still behind on this. May just have to skip that last arc with the Victims (or whatever that new, and honestly cool to me, group is called) although I really don't want to, for the reason I just stated if nothing else.

Don't skip it if you don't want to.  It plays heavily in the arc we're on now and it wouldn't hurt to have the background.  It is the weakest arc but still ok.

Uh-Oh ... this is ... not good to hear. I haven't read an issue since issue #2 as I was trying my hardest to wait and read the next 10 issues (and I plan to re-read from the start) when this is done. I have heard after issue #6 DC may be putting the book on hiatus to allow the artist to catch up, much like Image creators do, so I may just breakdown and read up to that point, but you not throwing praise is kinda scaring me. I really loved the first two issues, just as much as his Vision or at least his Omega Men, so I hope it hits better for me.
 Undecided

This might read better all at once.  I plan to go back and re-read it once issue 6 comes out.  Reading it month to month leaves you a little confused.  Plus, the New Gods seem out of character although I've never followed them too closely so I could be wrong.

Have not started this, as I was really not looking forward to another Batman: Odyssey  Roll Eyes May have to take a peek now

If you liked Deadman in Adventure Comics you'll probably like this but it's not a must read.  Although Etrigan, Spectre, and Phantom Stranger are in this too so it is kind of fun.

"Momentum is starting to falter." is the perfect way to describe my feelings. Ever since the original artist left, this book has been sliding ever so slightly each month. The title is set to have a slight title change soon; the new title will be New Superman and the Justice League of China". A tad long, but if they are going to start having this be more of a team book (even though it is now, in a way), I may stay on just a little longer.

I'll likely drop off after the new title comes out.  It was fun but feels like the true story is done and it's just moving into a standard comic format.

I can certainly see why you feel that way and even though I haven't reached that point, yet, my feeling turning like yours can't be far off the horizon if this isn't wrapped soon. I do still enjoy it and am looking forward to the next story, but yeah, this one needs to end

Definitely time to wrap this arc up and move on.  Would love to see more of this art with a new story arc.

EDIT:  I'll also be giving The Terrifics and The Immortal Men a try when they come out this year!

I am sooo eager for most all of DC's New Age of Heroes line. The Terrifics are of course at the top of the list, being an FF type riff, but yeah, other than that title the New Challengers, Immortal Men and Sideways are titles I am chomping at the bit for. The Silencer and Damage are also pulling at my eyes with great fervor. Curse of Brimstone and the Unexpected ... well ... a little less, but still going to try 'em

I'm tempted by a lot of them as well.  I may go ahead and try the first issue of each but the Terrific's is the one I'm really pumped about too.  Can't wait to find out how Phantom Girl wound up with this group.  Could this finally mean a new Legion title is on it's way?  I can dream, right?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:07:04 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 06:32:28 PM »

And hey, Jeff, Just to be well balanced, I may be alone in my praise of Nightwing. I really liked the first two issues of the new writer, have not read the third yet, but the grades are not out of this world from other graders, as seen HERE

However, if you click on the issue number, you get to this issue screen HERE and if you then click on the image of the cover, you will get a 4 or 5 page preview of that guy I was talking about ... if you want to take a peek inside.

I just found out that we can do that, click covers for previews, so I am clicking covers all over the place at this site now that I know they have previews built in.
 Grin

EDIT - Now they seem to have "preview" written below the comic image too, actually telling us it is there. That was not there before (read as "My blind ass never saw that before")
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2018, 06:41:54 PM »

I checked out that preview Perry, and I liked what I read.  I did not like the art.  I'll give the arc a try and see if I can look past the art to the story.  Very intriguing.  Almost, Purpleman-ish.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2018, 07:03:56 PM »

Almost, Purpleman-ish.

Yeah!!! Exactly.
And in the book, not really a spoiler, they discuss Dick fighting (or coming across) this guy before, but I am not sure if that is in the past comics history or if this writer is going to expound by making revisionist-history. If you get me?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2018, 03:16:40 AM »

Almost, Purpleman-ish.

Yeah!!! Exactly.
And in the book, not really a spoiler, they discuss Dick fighting (or coming across) this guy before, but I am not sure if that is in the past comics history or if this writer is going to expound by making revisionist-history. If you get me?

Yep I get ya.  I wondered the same thing.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2018, 04:34:37 AM »

So, with rankings:

1. Superman - some issues are not as great as others, but consistently always pleases, sometimes over the moon, sometimes just with a good smile.

2. Hal Jordan - well, I won't give this a huge drop due to ish 25, but the want to punish this title is there. Let's see how things pan out now.

3. Aquaman - A great turnaround with Sejivc (sp), but only 3 issues in

4. Action Comics - a great feeling book where Jurgens attempts to channel his 90s' younger self, and does well in coming very, very close

5. Deathstroke - I think Slade is only here, because I always just jones more for Supes. To be fair, this title probably should be 3rd, or even second, but I don't feel like doing the editing.

6. METAL - because, you know, METAL!!!

7. Super Sons - dammit, almost forgot this and had to edit too much! No, you know what? I feel safely ensconced on this title and with it. Which is not anything I would have said 9 months ago, to be honest.

8. Wonder Woman - essentially, an unknown cypher now. Once this girlz power team is out and Robinson comes on, I hope for better stuff.

You know what? It looks like I HAVE to try Detective and Outlaws now. Wink

I tried Outlaws for 3 issues; I just haven't bit to come back for more. Think it's because Metal tie-ins were a big hit to the wallet, oh, and I had another child. That said:

1. Justice League-Because, Priest.

2. Superman- will really miss Gleason and Tomasi here! And Doug Mahnke!

3. Deathstroke-Because, Priest.

4. Super Sons-the book has kept it's same attitude and art. Dig it.

5. Hal Jordan and GLC- they climbed back up and doing some cool stuff now again. Controllers arc was a bit blah.

6. Action Comics- Love Booster around, but I'm not sure the Oz shake up will ultimately show as a good idea.

7. Aquaman - I think this has jsut been entertainingly solid throughout.

8. Mister Miracle- I love the reading of this, but its more the spectacle of it, I think. A good spectacle! but for me this is more about the build to the payoff.

9. Metal-NOT paying off in the dividends I want.

10. Wonder Woman- I may be checking future solicits to see how long Robinson is on...because I am thinking of dropping this.

I still wish to get some digital Detective tpbs yet. I want to read the Terrifics, Immortal Men I think, and I can't remember the 3rd book (New Challengers!), but I will try some new stuff.

Oh, and I'll read Doomsday Clock greedily enough each other month it comes out. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2018, 03:49:19 PM »

I think, well, what I find I truly enjoy with Mister Miracle, perhaps even more than I did with Vision ... yeah, certainly more, actually ... is the way the art is telling the story a tad more than usual. It comes out as being just as integral as the actual writing. I mean, yes art is always important, but here, in rare form, the art is in every sense a true 33% of the story. It is pulling its weight, without dominating or slacking.

And I mean that thoroughly. The colors, the way they are used are also, to me, a dead even split in making this title so wonderful. What I am trying to say here is this is one of those rare 33% comics. Each major aspect is just as important, just as impactful as the last before it.

Sure there are books where the art saves the issue, where the art (being the pencils, inks and colors in solo or combination) just looks so good the issue is spared and then there are times where the art is 90% of the reason the issue works, being more the storyteller than the writer, but with MM, I find I am fully immersed in all three vital aspects of the comic. Each one brings its own enjoyment to this title.

I think Vision could be said to be a "better" written book, I would never cry foul for anyone thinking that, but MM is so much more for me. The use of television static, the bleeding of colors, the fight scenes/panels in that last issue alone ... perfection. Yes, Mister Miracle is the rare "Complete Comic". It is what most comics aspire to be. It is ... it is a miracle, Mister.
 Wink

For me -

I dropped a lot of DC that I was trying to stay up on. It just became overbearing, overpowering. Heck I even came back for one title and then saw where it was heading and decided I was off it again in a few more issue.
 Cheesy

Dropped or tried and dropped (again in some cases  Cheesy)
New Super-Man (sadly, the art killed it. Destroyed it!!)
Batwoman - Just didn't enjoy the "voice"
JLA - I tried this for a couple issues. While I think Batman here in this title is
actually Martain Manhunter in disguise
, maybe, and that could've been a cool twist, if true, I just didn't enjoy it.

And crap, now I have to go ... will be back later, but I did write my last place already so ...

Nightwing - Came back to try the new creative team and found I enjoyed it. I am really digging this new/old villain. In a few issues I am off again as ... well ... I honestly can't remember now  Cheesy I think it is the new creative team coming on after this current arc? Maybe? Hell, I can't remember. I just know I didn't like it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS