HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 06:26:59 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ranking the Rebirth  (Read 30752 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 07:32:24 PM »

Officially dropped Flash and Aquaman from my "reading" (like I have done much of that, Pfft  Roll Eyes).

Now the FLash I dropped as I just couldn't enjoy reading it. No matter how much I tried. I also "dropped" it twice prior, but this time Ihae taken measures to make sure I don't get pulled in again. Told Dave not to bring it over anymore.
 Cheesy
Also did the same with Aquaman, but not for the same reason. I just need to kill some of these bi-weekly books and while I have, more than not, enjoyed this title, I just need to save some time so dropping four issues should help my DC reading.

Was going to add Nightwing, another titles I have "dropped" more than once, but flipping through the last two issues I see a really cool looking villain, so I am giving this another go, again.
 Cheesy

Hoping to be ripping through DC more over this week-end and while I know dropping two titles doesn't seem like much, it can only help, right?
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 07:42:20 PM »

Hoping to be ripping through DC more over this week-end and while I know dropping two titles doesn't seem like much, it can only help, right?
 Smiley

Depends on how far behind you are.  For example - I have Action Comics in my Wish List and am 9 months behind.  You might think 9 behind isn't that much (for me) BUT that equates to 18 issues!  Even if I could afford to buy them all at once it will take me forever to read them (Unless that was the only thing I read)!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 09:38:29 AM »

Exactly. That Bi-Weekly shipping is both a blessing and a curse
 Cheesy

EDIT - And not to mention that by the time you finished with those, there could be at least two more issues released, which would mean you were not finished with those.
 Grin
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 10:21:46 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 10:34:48 PM »

Exactly. That Bi-Weekly shipping is both a blessing and a curse
 Cheesy

EDIT - And not to mention that by the time you finished with those, there could be at least two more issues released, which would mean you were not finished with those.
 Grin

Lol!  That is so true!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 08:56:53 PM »

Officially dropped Flash and Aquaman from my "reading"  ...

And that didn't last long at all.  Angry
Forgot that there is a Batman/Flash crossover event coming soon, with the Watchmen (or at least the smiley face button of the Comedian) shown on the cover. Soooo ... yeah, the title is back on for awhile
 Undecided

Also, I was just told that my boy, and often times guy mistaken for hitting Hero Realm with Russian Spam  Cheesy, Stjepan Sejic is coming on as new artist in the Aquaman rotation. No way I am missing out on that.

So hey, was able to drop two titles for about a week ... okay ... a couple of days
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 02:40:28 PM »

Just a few updated notes, for my top nine comics. Of course the lower titles will drop further when I read Hal, All-Star, New-Super-Man, etc ... so I am just marking the moves of the comics I am up to date with. Will post an easier to read version, with opinions (so, harder to read  Cheesy) when I am totally caught up
 Smiley

JUST NOT FOR ME (but gave a quick peek anyway)

Cyborg
Green Arrow
Harley Quinn
Hellblazer
Supergirl
Teen Titans - May return with art change

WANTED TO LIKE BUT DROPPED at some point -

Batgirl
Batgirl and the Birds of Prey
Blue Beetle
Green Lanterns
Suicide Squad
Justice League
Justice League of America
Titans
Flash
 ... However, I am back on for the Bat crossover, so that could pull me back in.
EDIT - Superwoman - Just found out new creative team comes on with issue #9. Time for me to jump ship with #8

RANKINGS (as of 9/18/2016) (3-24-2017)

#1 - 02) WONDER WOMAN - Still a great book and last issues translation problems were funny
#2 - 06) BATMAN - Still higher than it should be ranked, I think, but Reis and that emotion just killed last issue
#3 - 11) SUPERMAN - Look, this title will rebound, but for now, with that Eradicator story-line, it drops a tad.
#4 - 00) BATWOMAN - Love the look, enjoy the story. Not rated prior
#5 - 05) DEATHSTROKE - Never followed the character much after New Teen Titans, but happy to now.
#6 - 01) DETECTIVE COMICS - Was easily a top 3 title, but last issue shot this to the top. Sorry Diana.
#7 - 00) TRINITY - Good romp starring the big three. Not rated prior
#8 - 07) ACTION COMICS - Its slide is more the books above got better more than this slipped. Still good.
#9 - 12) AQUAMAN - This title is making a turn. Last issue with Superman was really strong. (Had dropped but back on with art change.

Still have to catch up on so can't yet place ...

03) ALL-STAR BATMAN - Yes it has it's problems, but this is so old school fun. I am just enjoying it greatly.
04) HAL AND THE GLC - Another old school fun book, with less problems, that is just hitting for me.
08) SUPER-WOMAN - Man this last issue was not as strong, but hoping for a great rebound.
09) NEW SUPER-MAN - After a great two issue start, this title slides just a tad. Still a worthy read
10) NIGHTWING - The last two issues have turned this book around for me. No Grayson residue now.
13) RED HOOD and the OUTLAWS - Good banter between characters so far, but still early
--) SUPER SONS - Have yet to read

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 08:59:26 AM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 03:09:50 AM »

I've noticed in other threads that titles have been dropped.  Titles have been added.  But have no idea what people are still reading in total in regards to the DC's.

So what is on your regular reading list?

Mine looks like this (unranked).

Reading but not necessarily current:
Action Comics
$5 Batman (also still known as All Star)
Aquaman
Batgirl and the Birds of Prey
Batman
Deathstroke
Detective Comics
Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps
New Superman
Red Hood & the Outlaws
Superman
Superwoman
Titans
Trinity
Wonder Woman

In Wish List but haven't started yet:
Batwoman
Doom Patrol
The Fall & Rise of Captain Atom
Mister Miracle
Super Sons
The Wildstorm

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 04:20:38 AM »

No kidding; you read Batgirl and the Outlaws books? How are they?

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 02:11:57 PM »

No kidding; you read Batgirl and the Outlaws books? How are they?

I've only read the first arc of each and I liked both.  Birds of Prey is going to be more Huntress centric.  Especially in the next arc.  Outlaws is fun because it's different.  I think the next arc is heavy Bizarro centric.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 06:44:50 PM »

Okay, ranking-less -

Still reading but way behind on -
Detective
Batwoman
Superman
Super-Sons
Wildstorm

Still pretty current and enjoying -
Miracle Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Batman - though it is NOT Batman and astounds me this is the same writer as the one I love on Vision, Omega and MM  Roll Eyes
All-Star Batman (or too expensive Bats  Smiley)
Aquaman
New Superman - Not AS good with the new artist, but still a great different take.
Hal
Deathstroke
Red Hood and the Outlaws - And Yes Jimmy, it is fun. A good romp. At least for me. But I have no history with Jason Todd, really, nor Artemis and Bizarro was the reason I jumped in and after the first few issues, I get him.

I think that is it. Dropped or just not interested in the others at this time, sad Booth wasn't gone from Titans longer or I would have stayed there, I think.

(And I wouldn't worry about getting Rise and Fall or the Amazon mini until they are on sale)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 07:43:11 PM »

Considering your aviator I'm SHOCKED your NOT reading Mister Miracle.  Looks like you really like that Miracle Man comic though.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 09:04:17 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I was just ... just thinking ... it sure is a ... a miracle, man, that Tom King writes this Mister Miracle so well.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Cheesy Cheesy

(Wow!!!)  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy I literally have the title right beside my post too

Can't even edit the damn thing now.
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 03:01:57 AM »

Rechecking in on this...

I have not started any new DC book...but DC hasn't released any other new books, really, either....But I've only stopped the half-hearted monthly Titans venture, too.

1.   Hal Jordan & GLC- Reminds me of the cool awesome Geoff Johns early days on the book! GL excitement!! Still loving this as much, if not MORE!!!

2.   Wonder Woman-BECAUSE IT'S THE BEST Now, still damned good. Love the origin switcheroo and reveal...but one half of the story is cooling off for me. And that's why it fell one spot.

3.   Superman- Still loving this book; just wished Multiplicity ran longer; or that it was for sure going to have far reaching ramifications. If anything, I'm glad that there are some bizarre magic stories, tales of the weird and astonishing, and big outer space stuff. Hitting lots of different angles, and I'm glad to see Superman spread through that.

4.   Action Comics-Man, this Superman is an asskicker, and takes, well, ACTION!! I dig that. I'm enjoying the mystery surrounding Clark Kent. A much more layered book than I was going to give Jurgens credit for

5.   Deathstroke-because it's STILL PRIEST

6.   Superwoman-LIke I've said, I love the big ideas, big execution of this book. Enjoying the characters alot, too

7.    Aquaman Keeps getting really good...then just okay...then rises up!!! Then gets, 'yeah, that's fine.' Make it great always!!!

8.   Green Arrow- Percy is still telling a great story that hopefully helps redefine a bit more of the GA mythos. Wish the art was a bit stronger than it is. I'm really flip flopping back and forth on when I enjoy the issues and when I'm just cold to them. Lowering it in standings

9.   Flash-I like me some Flash. But I feel I am liking it a bit more than it deserves (This still mostly rings true. Lowering it standings

Almost 8 months to the day later!!!

I see I have dropped 3 of my bottom 4 out of 9 titles!!!! DC, what up? Or is it Jim?
Superwoman, Flash, and Green Arrow are now gone.
Added to the mix is Super Sons. Aquaman and Deathstroke are now monthly only.
For the next 6 months, METAL and tie-ins will be included.

I think...I think I may try Outlaws, based on your guys' recommendations. Even Detective. But both can be Comixology purchases. I don't need those in trades in shelves or even floppies.

So, with rankings:

1. Superman - some issues are not as great as others, but consistently always pleases, sometimes over the moon, sometimes just with a good smile.

2. Hal Jordan - well, I won't give this a huge drop due to ish 25, but the want to punish this title is there. Let's see how things pan out now.

3. Aquaman - A great turnaround with Sejivc (sp), but only 3 issues in

4. Action Comics - a great feeling book where Jurgens attempts to channel his 90s' younger self, and does well in coming very, very close

5. Deathstroke - I think Slade is only here, because I always just jones more for Supes. To be fair, this title probably should be 3rd, or even second, but I don't feel like doing the editing.

6. METAL - because, you know, METAL!!!

7. Super Sons - dammit, almost forgot this and had to edit too much! No, you know what? I feel safely ensconced on this title and with it. Which is not anything I would have said 9 months ago, to be honest.

8. Wonder Woman - essentially, an unknown cypher now. Once this girlz power team is out and Robinson comes on, I hope for better stuff.

You know what? It looks like I HAVE to try Detective and Outlaws now. Wink

Otherwise...what is DC offering me beyond my little faves???  Huh

And yeah, I don't believe the Justice League book(s) are any good with their current teams/directions.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 03:29:48 PM »

What a difference a couple of months make.  Here's my new ranking.

1.  Detective Comics - The return of Tim Drake arc has really notched this up for me.  Artistically, Mr Miracle is a better book but when I think about what I can't wait to read each month, this title is the top book.

2.  Mr. Miracle - Slow burn here at the beginning but I see the potential and look forward to seeing where it's going.

3.  Deathstroke - I'm behind on this but love what Priest has done here.

4.  Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps - My enjoyment is waning a bit on this one but could just be the current arc.

5.  Aquaman - Probably not going to keep this after current arc but right now I'm enjoying it.

6.  New Superman - Fun title even though I believe it's days are almost over.

7.  Batman - Way behind on this one so it may be better than I have it listed.

8.  Red Hood & the Outlaws - Little behind on this title but I've enjoyed what I'm up to.

9.  Super Sons - Enjoyed this a lot more than I expected.  I think the premise will eventually start to bore me but so far the story has been good.

10.  Metal - A bit of a disappointment.  It's not terrible but I probably could have skipped and been ok.  I'll still finish it as it may have ramifications for the future of the Bat-world.

Interested in adding these:

1.  Nightwing:  The New Order - 4 part mini that just sounds fun.  An Elseworlds type of story not in continuity.

2.  Justice League - picking up the Metal Tie-In issues (32 & 33) but starting with issue 34, Priest is taking over as writer.  Priest writing the Justice League?  Yeah - I gotta check that out.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2017, 02:53:49 AM »

I will be so all over Justice League when Priest starts writing-I ALMOST LITERALLY CANNOT WAIT!!!

I got much to say on Metal #3 yet.

I'm afraid Aquaman may not be much like or even intersting after this artist leaves, or even when Abnett leaves.

Hal Jordan needs a solid pick me back up!

I can't remember who just came on 'Green Lanterns' but I may think of trying that one out again.

Glad I got convinced enough to try Red Hood. Been liking reading that so far.

I will be getting Detective at some point. For sure!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS