HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 09:35:43 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ranking the Rebirth  (Read 30759 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 13, 2016, 02:27:15 PM »

Okay, so I thought I would go ahead and start keeping track of the DC Rebirth titles, much like I did with marvel Now, to see how my opinion may change over time.

I am not yet considering any title that only has one issue released as that is far too early to gauge. And I am not even counting each titles Rebirth issue, as I don't think, by in large, they are a fair representation of the title, so titles must be on issue #2 to be considered for me (You judge how you wish  Wink), even though I know judging after two issues may not be sound, by that time you can start getting a feel for what the creative teams want to try and say at least.
 Smiley

Okay, titles that are not yet ranked, as they are either yet to be released or just not up to issue #2 are:

All-Star Batman
Blue Beetle
Deathstroke
Red Hood and the Outlaws
Suicide Squad
Superwoman
Teen Titans
Titans
Trinity

* NOTE - Cyborg, Gotham Academy, Harley and Super-Girl are titles I will not be getting (thus can't rank) and Earth 2, Justice League of America and Super Sons have yet to establish a release date. If I missed any title, please let me know.
 Wink

Rankings:

01 - Wonder Woman - Maybe it is just that I love Rucka, but this is some good comics
02 - Detective Comics - Really impressed how the creative team changed my opinion about this book
03 - New Super-Man - Just love this funny book about a kid who really isn't that super, or liked, being Superman
04 - Batman - Look, it's fine. It's good. But I think my Bat love bias is showing ranking this title this high
05 - Action Comics - It's had its bumps (Doomsday? Really?) but the character work here is good
06 - Hal and the GLC - Just good old fashion Corps stuff.
07 - Flash - I still have to read #4, but I am interested in what's going on
08 - Justice League - Started less than grand, but if issue #3 hits like #2 did for me, this is rocketing upwards
09 - Superman - The better written book, but just not having as much fun as I am with Action
10 - Nightwing - As I stated in the title's thread, this is too much like Grayson, but more boring
11 - Green Lanterns - I just don't care about these characters. The story is okay, but I just can't connect so I don't care.
12 - Aquaman - There is little here for me to like. Oh joy, Black Manta. And he just ... gives up? Ugh.

Well that's my list so far. Can't wait to see what a month or two brings. Though not sure Aquaman will be on there as I am not reading it anymore. But I've said that before and as of now I am up to date on the title Cheesy

EDIT - I did forget to mention Jimmy's guy Ollie  Smiley, but I am not reading Green Arrow, so hey, can't rank it  Grin
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 02:38:49 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 02:19:16 AM »

My list...I'll countdown to one just be different.  Cool

....uh...turns out I don't get as many titles as Perry, so I have added 'Honorable mentions' to some 1 or 2 issue only titles.

H) Superwoman-great start!!
H) Deathstroke-because it's PRIEST
Cool Aquaman-this needs to be better, and I'm sorry, but losing the high collar makes his costume look a little stilly again. I don't know gauntlets on his gloves, or the exaggerated A on his belt (which would pierce his belly and crotch if he did a sit up), but the high collar made his armor so cool. Now? Not so much.
7) Flash-I like me some Flash. But I feel I am liking it a bit more than it deserves
6) Green Arrow- Percy is still telling a great story that hopefully helps redefine a bit more of the GA mythos. Wish the art was a bit stronger than it is.
5) Hal Jordan & GLC- Reminds me of the cool awesome Geoff Johns early days on the book! GL excitement!!
4) Action Comics-Man, this Superman is an asskicker, and takes, well, ACTION!! I dig that. Much more than the prior dude.
3) Superman- Love the Eradicator! Love that this title is moving a bit faster than Action, is all!!
1,2) Wonder Woman-BECAUSE IT'S THE BEST its 1 & 2 on the list, due to the different stories it tells. And I misnumbered when I started the list and didn't want to edit it!! Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 12:51:13 PM »

3) Superman- Love the Eradicator!

Ha, that was the exact opposite feeling I got.  Wink I actually had Supes over Action by a tad until that "90's" style character showed up with his "Vibe" glasses.
 Grin
I did some research and actually really liked his earlier look, as in very first appearances with the Baron Zemo type head gear. That shit looks dope! Sorry!! See, just thinking about the Eradicator makes me go all ancient hip-hop lingo
 Cheesy Cheesy

1,2) Wonder Woman [....] And I misnumbered when I started the list and didn't want to edit it!! Grin

Cheesy
 Cheesy
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 02:27:48 AM »

Rebirth Rankings.

I'm going to rank what I've read regardless of number of issues out. Just to be different because  I never ever follow the crowd.

01 - Wonder Woman - Maybe it is just that I love Rucka, but this is some good comics

1,2) Wonder Woman-BECAUSE IT'S THE BEST its 1 & 2 on the list, due to the different stories it tells. And I misnumbered when I started the list and didn't want to edit it!! Grin

1) Wonder Woman - Dammit.   Grin
2) Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps - I find myself looking forward to each new issue.  This hasn't happened much with DC for me lately. When it does I have rank it high.
3) Red Hood & the Outlaws - same as HJ above.
4) Detective - surprised me as I'm not a fan of Clayface here. But there's no denying this is well plotted, written, and drawn.
5) Superwoman - One issue and jumped into the top five.  Let's see if it can maintain that.
6) $5 Batman - Snyder knows Batman. But he's not perfect. Let's see how his out of character twist works out.
7) Batman - The Gotham and Gotham Girl plot has been interesting.
8 ) Titans - maybe because I got my Wally West back. After a couple more issues I'll reevaluate this.
9) Flash - I think I'm in the minority here in not liking all these speedsters. But I I don't hate this so next arc will be the true test for me.
10) Deathstroke - could go higher as issues come out. Rebirth was decent.
11) Superman - I was high on this at first but this Eradicator story isn't good.  Get back to life with the kid and it'll go back up.
12) Justice League - first two issues were weak. But now that Supes has shown up could get better.
13) Nightwing - this makes me sad.  Nightwing should be much higher on my list. I miss Grayson (and Midnighter).

14) Suicide Squad - not hooked after Rebirth issue but not hating it yet.
15) Green Lanterns - would have loved to read this for the Red Lanterns but I just don't care about these green lanterns.
16) Green Arrow - hated the Rebirth issue so I dropped. But I have to admit looking at the covers makes me want to give it another shot.
17) Aquaman - easily the worst of what I read. Did not pick up after Rebirth issue.

I have not read any of these so I couldn't fairly rank. But I do have some thoughts.
Action Comics - the praise this gets here and then my enjoyment of Superwoman has put this on my radar. I might try it out.
Batgirl & the Birds of Prey - curious about this.  I may try out the Rebirth issue.
New Super-Man - I hear good things but I really have no interest. Maybe I'll try it as things drop off the list.
Batgirl - no interest
Hellblazer - no interest
Harley Quinn - no interest

My thoughts on the rest that have release dates but aren't out yet.
Supergirl - actually kind of looking forward to this. I hope it doesn't suck.
Blue Beetle - same here. Giffen in BB has to be a win.
Cyborg - I'm interested in checking this out. Don't know why but I am.
Trinity - no interest yet
Batman Beyond - no interest yet
Gotham Academy - no interest ever

EDIT: left off Teen Titans by accident.  I'll give its Reborth issue a try since it has Kory, Garth, and Raven in it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:55:08 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 01:06:10 PM »

Rebirth Rankings.

I'm going to rank what I've read regardless of number of issues out. Just to be different because  I never ever follow the crowd.

1) Wonder Woman - Dammit.   Grin

HAHAHAHA. Nice !!!!!
 Cheesy
 Cheesy
 Cheesy

I have not read any of these so I couldn't fairly rank. But I do have some thoughts.
Action Comics - the praise this gets here and then my enjoyment of Superwoman has put this on my radar. I might try it out.

It is pretty good, even with that damn Doomsday  Angry The book is doing a good job with Lex and Superman as well and there is a good mystery going on here that we still don't know the answer to yet. While this book may not be on most peoples top 3, it is certainly on the higher end of the Rebirth titles.

Batgirl & the Birds of Prey - curious about this.  I may try out the Rebirth issue.

I did not like the Rebirth issue, but I didn't like many of them so you can't judge by that.  Cheesy I can only wish you well.
 Smiley

New Super-Man - I hear good things but I really have no interest. Maybe I'll try it as things drop off the list.

This should be the first book you pick up after you drop your first DC title, if that is what it takes to get you on.  Grin But you can't go into it thinking it is a DC book. I mean it is, but it is truly different. You will not like this Superman, but you will like the book BECAUSE you don't like this Superman. Haha. Not quite like Kirkman's Ant-Man book (if you ever read that), but in a way, very similar. Just like it reminds me of the Giffen/DeMatteis (sp?) Juistice League. It has that humor that doesn't seem like jokes but makes you giggle a little ... I guess ... hard to explain. Let me put it this way, it is a good-natured, fun book that should ... SHOULD leave you smiling after you're done.

Plus the good thing about this is, like Superwoman, only a monthly titles so it won't cost you $6 a month  Grin
Sadly, the bad news is, just like Superwoman, you only wish it was a twice monthly book when you start reading
 Cheesy

But again, as the say, your mileage may vary
 Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 02:04:13 PM »

.....the good thing about this is, like Superwoman, only a monthly titles so it won't cost you $6 a month  Grin

That might just be the winning sale for me right there.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 02:34:19 PM »

.....the good thing about this is, like Superwoman, only a monthly titles so it won't cost you $6 a month  Grin

That might just be the winning sale for me right there.

Ha, right?
 Grin

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 02:34:37 PM »

Overall, I am enjoying Rebirth. My only gripe is that it didn't need to be bi-weekly. Some of the titles are already on issue 6 or 7. WTF???
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 06:03:03 PM »

Overall, I am enjoying Rebirth. My only gripe is that it didn't need to be bi-weekly. Some of the titles are already on issue 6 or 7. WTF???

Well just try and hang in for as long as you can because I have heard/seen speculation from more than one site/podcast that all the bi-weekly titles will be returning to a more manageable monthly schedule before too much longer.

Now when they do ... if they do ... do they also return to the $3.99 price point? That is what I am waiting to see.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »

Well now that most of the titles I am interested in (or not interested in ... or was interested in, but now I am not  Cheesy) I figured it is time to revisit my rankings and see how the newer issues hit and how some of the older issues fell off.

JUST NOT FOR ME (but gave a quick peek anyway)

Cyborg
Green Arrow
Harley Quinn
Hellblazer
Supergirl

WANTED TO LIKE BUT DROPPED -

Batgirl
Batgirl and the Birds of Prey
Blue Beetle
Green Lanterns
Suicide Squad

RANKINGS (as of 9/18/2016)

01) DETECTIVE COMICS - Was easily a top 3 title, but last issue shot this to the top. Sorry Diana.
02) WONDER WOMAN - Still a great book and last issues translation problems were funny
03) ALL-STAR BATMAN - Yes it has it's problems, but this is so old school fun. I am just enjoying it greatly.
04) HAL AND THE GLC - Another old school fun book, with less problems, that is just hitting for me.
05) DEATHSTROKE - Never followed the character much after New Teen Titans, but happy to now.
06) BATMAN - Still higher than it should be ranked, I think, but Reis and that emotion just killed last issue
07) ACTION COMICS - Its slide is more the books above got better more than this slipped. Still good.
08) SUPER-WOMAN - Man this last issue was not as strong, but hoping for a great rebound.
09) NEW SUPER-MAN - After a great two issue start, this title slides just a tad. Still a worthy read
10) NIGHTWING - The last two issues have turned this book around for me. No Grayson residue now.
11) SUPERMAN - Look, this title will rebound, but for now, with that Eradicator story-line, it drops a tad.
12) AQUAMAN - This title is making a turn. Last issue with Superman was really strong.
13) RED HOOD and the OUTLAWS - Good banter between characters so far, but still early
14) TITANS - A title that continues to meander into blandness. This could be so much better than it is.
15) FLASH - Just nosediving. I know my fellow realmers were not super stoked for this, I understand.
16) JUSTICE LEAGUE - If I had to buy this, the last issue would have been my last. Giving it two more issues, only.

So there are the 16 DC titles that I read, ranked how I fell about them at this time. Can't wait to see two months from now and to see if Trinity gets placed in the "ranked" section or the "not for me" section
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 01:44:16 AM »

Rechecking in on this...

I have not started any new DC book...but DC hasn't released any other new books, really, either....But I've only stopped the half-hearted monthly Titans venture, too.

1.   Hal Jordan & GLC- Reminds me of the cool awesome Geoff Johns early days on the book! GL excitement!! Still loving this as much, if not MORE!!!

2.   Wonder Woman-BECAUSE IT'S THE BEST Now, still damned good. Love the origin switcheroo and reveal...but one half of the story is cooling off for me. And that's why it fell one spot.

3.   Superman- Still loving this book; just wished Multiplicity ran longer; or that it was for sure going to have far reaching ramifications. If anything, I'm glad that there are some bizarre magic stories, tales of the weird and astonishing, and big outer space stuff. Hitting lots of different angles, and I'm glad to see Superman spread through that.

4.   Action Comics-Man, this Superman is an asskicker, and takes, well, ACTION!! I dig that. I'm enjoying the mystery surrounding Clark Kent. A much more layered book than I was going to give Jurgens credit for

5.   Deathstroke-because it's STILL PRIEST

6.   Superwoman-LIke I've said, I love the big ideas, big execution of this book. Enjoying the characters alot, too

7.    Aquaman Keeps getting really good...then just okay...then rises up!!! Then gets, 'yeah, that's fine.' Make it great always!!!

8.   Green Arrow- Percy is still telling a great story that hopefully helps redefine a bit more of the GA mythos. Wish the art was a bit stronger than it is. I'm really flip flopping back and forth on when I enjoy the issues and when I'm just cold to them. Lowering it in standings

9.   Flash-I like me some Flash. But I feel I am liking it a bit more than it deserves (This still mostly rings true. Lowering it standings

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 12:03:18 PM »

Interesting indeed. I need to catch up on my DC reading so I can do the same re-ranking.
 Cheesy

EDIT - I will say that the recent issues of Nightwing that I have read has that title dropping off my list. Reads like female fan fiction now.
 Roll Eyes
And yes, sorry, not trying to sound sexist, but female writers do have a different "voice" than male writers. At least most of the times for me. That is not a bad thing, at all, there are lots of female writers I enjoy, but there is a "voice" in which they write (man ... I am failing to both find another word for that as well as trying to explain my thoughts without sounding apishly male  Cheesy).

Bottom line, to me, Seeley is finding his inner woman.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 12:10:38 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 12:42:03 AM »

Where's those rankings, muchachos?

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 01:18:48 PM »

Sad Sad
I am so behind on my DC reading I can't rank them yet. I have only been able to stay current on Action, Superman and ... that is it. I have the following issues to read to even begin to start ranking again -
Aquaman - 17,18 and 19
Batman - 17,18 and 19
Detective - 948, 949, 950, 951 and 952  Shocked Shocked Angry
Deathstroke - 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14  Angry
Hal and the GLC - 14, 15 and 16
New Super-Man (one of my favorites) - 7, 8, 9 ... and 10 (?)
Not to mention the odd issues of Wonder Woman - 13, 15, 17 and 19 coming out next week and all the first issues (not the Reibrth #1) of Justice League of America, Batwoman and Super-Sons.

This puppy, who just had to have $1,400 dental surgery, is killing my time. I don't even get to post here as much (or as long winded  Grin Cheesy) as I use to.
 Angry

I will make an effort to be caught up on all my DC by the end of April. How's that? With the bi-weekly shipping it will take me that long.
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 06:58:34 PM »

I'm in the same boat on my DC.  Been buying the cheaper Image issues and just haven't had time to pick up any new DC.  I need to though as I'm getting to far behind and it will be EXPENSIVE to catch up!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS