HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:52:17 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DEATHSTROKE - REBIRTH  (Read 13326 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 12, 2016, 02:04:59 PM »

Interesting rebirth issue.  I like the peek into life with the kids.  I wasn't planning on picking this up long term and I didn't see anything here to change my mind.  But like most of these rebirth books, the true test in when the first couple of issues come out.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 05:14:33 AM »

I can tell there may be a good story here, but I do feel a little lost ... maybe from not having read any Deathstroke comics. I was kinda hoping this would be like most Rebirth issues and be more of a starter. Kinda got thrown into the deep end here.
 Grin
I do know Wintergreen was his butler, but I know I am missing more to it than that.

That's fine. I'll stick around for another couple issues and then make the call. I do like it, just wish I knew more. Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 01:36:08 AM »

I'm down with this. I don't even care that we are introduced  midway through the story. I've always enjoyed not having the full bit of it laid completely out by Priest. I love that we are told/shown that the youth serum junk in his previous volume is just gone, and he's fully Deathstroke one more time. I loved reading Priest's interview about being on the book -"Slade's a villain. No more POV writing-he's a bastard. You get to see the book through how others see him and interact with him."

So excited!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 02:06:02 AM »

I'm down with this. I don't even care that we are introduced  midway through the story. I've always enjoyed not having the full bit of it laid completely out by Priest. I love that we are told/shown that the youth serum junk in his previous volume is just gone, and he's fully Deathstroke one more time. I loved reading Priest's interview about being on the book -"Slade's a villain. No more POV writing-he's a bastard. You get to see the book through how others see him and interact with him."

So excited!!!

That bodes well then.  I may just have to stick around for a bit.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 01:42:21 PM »

I don't even care that we are introduced  midway through the story.

Just want to clarify that the midway point is not what I had issues with. Not that you were even saying that. Hahaha. But no, that was cool and I don't mind that at all, but still felt a little lost. When you compare most of the other rebirth issues, they go into a little hand-holding for readers that are not familiar with the characters (so much so I felt that most of the Rebirth issues were a waste of time for me, and others that knew a little bit about the characters involved). But the one title in which I really needed a little history just to get a little more familiar with a character I haven't seen since Titans (I don't think), Priest went full bore into the story.  Cheesy Cheesy Undecided Grin

And that is fine, they did kinda bring us up to speed with his gray hair (the one thing I knew they did take away  Cheesy) but other than that ... not much "rebirth" information was given.

Cool to hear Priest's thought process about the title and I still remain on board and eager to learn what I need to learn and possibly never see what I don't need to see
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 02:29:13 AM »

Issue 1

If your looking to be less confused you won't find that here.  I'm more confused.

And I loved every minute of it.  This continues the story from the Reborth issue.  This might just be my sleeper hit I was never planning on getting.

Thumbs way up.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 07:19:58 AM »

Issue 1

If your looking to be less confused you won't find that here.  I'm more confused.

Not because of history again I hope. That was my problem/situation with the Rebirth issue ... no past recap to get me to know a little better what has happened in the past 30 years of how the character got to where he is today. I mean, why even have the Rebirth issue if you are not gonna ... well ... "rebirth" me?
 Cheesy

And I loved every minute of it.  This continues the story from the Reborth issue.  This might just be my sleeper hit I was never planning on getting.

Thumbs way up.

Sweet. Glad to know Priest still has his chops!!!
 Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 12:24:57 PM »

This was good. Bet it pissed Jimmy off when Slade
turns out not to be the bad guy after all ... saving all those people like that
and I can understand his feelings as I kinda wanted to see that side return as well, but hey, this works.

Good issue with a mystery that is set for the future
Why did the person want him to put on that new costume?
that I hope comes into play at least 6 issues from now. Ya know, get back to old school story-telling where you plant things, show little bits, that are not the main plot point, for now, but then comes back, opens up to really be a main part of the story. I miss the "figure in the shadow, staring at a monitor, watching the hero, laughing with his fingers tips barely touching" that disappears for a few issues, comes back for a panel, disappears again and then is revealed to be ... whatever"
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 01:18:29 AM »

gawd, I love Priest writing a comic again!! I love how this works with Deathstroke, and how it went going up against Batman? LOVED IT for how cool he made both the characters!!!

Love that Priest is working with Bennett again (these two have worked together many times).

I'm all in on this. All on. Hope sales support this book-I know this kind of storytelling doesn't sit well with many masses!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 02:57:34 AM »

Oh HELLZ YEAH

Issue 5 was GREAT

This was the payoff of all the set up that Priest has been orchestrating-or rather, that Slade has been orchestrating from the very beginning!! I love how Priest writes!! Batman is so badass without ever throwing a punch to Deathstroke!! Both these guys!! I gotta reread all this as fast as I can@!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 02:58:14 AM »

Issue 6 still makes me love Priest all that much more.

just...just...his storytelling! And the impact of words.

I mean, the words he writes have such...importance. He doesn't waste time with the unimportant; what he writes always has reverberations through all his work. That Cliffhanger ending? Hot damn, that was great!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 11:40:23 AM »

100% agree.
Such a good book.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »

Well the good news is that after issue #20, Deathstroke will now go monthly. That will save me some time as reading all these puppies twice monthly is ... whew

But the greater news is Priest is still on as writer and I am loving the cover for issue #21
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 02:19:09 AM »

Well the good news is that after issue #20, Deathstroke will now go monthly.

Oh thank God!  Maybe I can get caught up too!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 02:04:10 AM »

Awesome! (21, I think)

Defiance part 2 is what it is.

I love the almost silly nature that Slade has put this team together to 'do good' simply to get in to talk to
Dr.
 Light. Love that Light still has this ...dangerous edge to him, that both he and Slade admit too. Looking forward to the stories within the stories that Slade keeps telling and weaving.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS