HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 10:00:44 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ALL-STAR BATMAN  (Read 6003 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 11, 2016, 02:09:00 PM »

Issue #1

Okay, not bad and other than the reveal, I thought this actually finished stronger than it started, though having that reveal, having ... wow ... no way I am even putting this under the Spoiler tab right now. Let me just say that ... having ...no, ... the reveal needs to have a very strong reason for happening. I am not gonna complain and/or bitch about that yet, as I want to see the reason, but I have sat and tried to think of a reason why that character would do that and I have come up with nothing. But while I have been underwhelmed at times by some of Snyder's "big reveals" (Death in the Family for example), I don't recall being totally upset or mad at any of them, so I am holding out for now, but I just ... I just don't see that happening. Ever. Snyder needs to wow me here.

The art is still JRjr, but it is a lot less boxy. It is style stylized away from his father's style, so I still really miss 80's JRjr, but I think he is getting more comfortable with his own style and is starting to calm it down a tad. To not be so "THIS IS MY STYLE NOW!!!"
 Cheesy

The story was kinda cool. Loved how Snyder broke it up and really enjoyed seeing some of the characters involved (Especially that last panel. Oh boy, I love that character!!!). The good thing for me was I had actually forgotten what the premise of this first arc was all about, so reading this and then following along not knowing what the end-game (or beginning game in this case  Cheesy) was really cool. In-fact, I think I need to stop reading all comic solicits and just go into them totally blind. Truly, as reading this without knowing (remembering) the plot, added a real cool, and yes, nostalgic, way of reading comics. Not knowing things in advance, like we use to read comics when we pulled them from the rack and had to wait those excruciating weeks until the next issue to find out what happened or where the story was heading? Oh yeah, those were the days!!

I think that is what happened with me in the newest Flash title. I had no idea what the plan for this title was, so finding out where it was going, was kinda cool. Yeah, I think I will try to avoid those solicit descriptions for awhile and see what happens.

But back to why I am here  Grin, this issue was cool but I don't like the price point. The extra pages and the back story helps buyers with that, I suppose, so not all is bad. But it will just be yet another $5 book that is in the top five of comics ordered, which always makes me twitchy as I know comic publishers see that they can charge $6 or whatever and shops will still buy that shit. If ... no ... sorry ... not the time for another price rant.
 Cheesy

Okay, back to Bat -
I still want to know Bat's new "not a side-kick" side-kicks name, though. I know who it is under the mask, but I have yet to see, or at least remember, him having a name. Oh wait ... I just got one ... is it Sparrow? Or was that a joke in an older Bat book? Damn ... now I am thinking they did tell us, and I forgot!!! Help?

Good book. Worth a read. Worth that price? eh, I hate to say "yes" so I won't ...

8 outta 10 diner patrons
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 01:50:13 AM »

$5 Batman #1  (also known as All Star)

Not a bad start.  And I agree with Perry on the "reveal".  There's enough here for me to stick issue 2 in the wish list.  Not sure when I'll pull the trigger on it because....well.....$5.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 05:23:43 PM »

Issue #3

WOW. Yes, yes, yes. Hot damn ...YES !!!!

This is an All-Star book. Yes, loved it. Loved it. So close to perfection, just so close ... if only J.R.jr drew a better Two-Face and Penquin this would have hit the elusive 10 score
 Undecided

9 outta 10 "here's mud in your eye"

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 05:29:12 PM »

Worth $5?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 05:38:40 PM »

Worth $5?

Man, this issue ... I want to say yes, I do, but $5 for a comic is a hard sell. I do know that they are getting ready to drop the back-up feature and that will lower the page count and thus they will lower the price, but I am not sure when that will happen (other than "soon).

I guess the main thing is, would you buy this title at $4? If so, then is it worth paying $5 for a couple (more) issues? After issue #2 I would've said no, it's not worth it, but after this one, which I really enjoyed, I would say yes ... IF and only if you are going to jump on later anyway.

Of course you could also wait until they do drop the price on this title and then get the issues you missed at hopefully a cheaper price. Maybe?
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 06:41:47 PM »

Unfortunately I don't believe DC is dropping their digital prices anymore which is causing me to wait longer and longer as I'm buying the cheaper comics I want first  (go, go Image!).

I have this series in my Wish List so that eventually I'll get to it at the $5 price but yeah, that's a big hit when you can five image comics for the price of two All-Star Batman.  But I prefer quality over quantity so I know I'll get to this eventually......

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 11:27:51 PM »

Issues 6 - 9

With villains like Mr Freeze, Poison Ivy, Mad Hatter, and
Ras Al Ghul
in this arc you would expect nothing but greatness from Snyder.

Unfortunately I didn't really enjoy this arc.  I'm glad I got these for half price because this story isn't worth $20. 

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 12:24:08 AM »

I am not even sure if I completed that arc, but I agree. I should have warned you, I suppose, but as I was so behind I don't think I could have said anything of value anyway.

I (kinda) liked how it bounced from villain to villain, but wasn't sold on getting through it, really.

I have to look and see how many issues I do have on hand to still read. I know it is restarting or changing title or something at (or after) issue #14 or so.  Not sure really as I have lost track after that first powerslide of a death march that happened in the first arc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS