HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:13:13 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: JUSTICE LEAGUE  (Read 21316 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 04:05:25 AM »

I think the reviews are being really harsh! 45 at Rotten Tomatoes? No way!! They gave better scores to MoS and BvS! What the hell!!

As long as you can enjoy just seeing the characters have their character moments, their action moments, and some good fun here and there, and you can just relax and watch something, I think you could enjoy it.

But I also think you could walk out thinking what a missed opportunity this was.

Which, if I be honest, I can also see occurring-I simply don't care. I was just happy to see the Justice League onscreen. While never been a Cyborg fan, Ray Fisher holds his own, makes the character his when he can, and doesn't appear to be 'that black guy' on the team.

Just loved Aquaman. Tatted up, dreads in hair or a blonde good looking surfer dude; doesn't matter to me, I just loved seeing his presentation here.

Flash was a little harder to watch-he was the comedic sidekick. His heroism isn't truly present-his powers are, but not his heroism. That makes me sad.

You can definitely see where this moive could have been that 'nearly unwatchable' version that was talked about a few months back-and that would be all Zach Snyder. And it's here, too. You can see how and imagine how things were re--edited, dropped, or twisted by some Whedon stuff. That disjointedness I was happy for, because it pulled this movie back from being BvS all over again.

If there is ANYTHING I truly take away from this, is that Warner Bros has a chance to move away from Zach Snyder, do well with people like Patty Jenkins (Wonder woman) and with hopes for the director Wan on Aquaman next year.

Snyder, his dystopian viewpoint, his Objectivism, his artistic destruction of establisments, has to go. It's been happening; it just needs to happen further.

I need me some good DC superhero movies.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 06:44:46 PM »

Have not read any reviews nor much here as I am trying to avoid as much as I can spoiler wise, but a few of my boys say that have more issue with the dialog and ... unrealistic events (yes, even a "super" hero movie) more than anything. A movie that could have been so much better, but just isn't.

That is what I hear.

Aquaman spends too much time being "surfer-boy-cool" (I have no idea what that means, but an actual quote), Batman, too much time not being Batman (Man that seems to be going around a lot) and a different Wonder Woman from her own movie is top of the complaints. Again, I have no idea what any of that TRULY means ... if anything. They may be just screwing with me too.

I have no way to judge, yet, as I am NOT going to see this in the theater now that the buzz is so bad.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 04:18:39 AM »

can you believe that I haven't seen this yet, Perry?

going tomorrow.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 10:19:04 AM »

can you believe that I haven't seen this yet, Perry?

Oh that's simple ... no. Not at all
 Grin

But I look forward to MAYBE seeing if you thought it was great, good, okay, weak or bad  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 01:20:51 PM »

my daughter had a dance competition out of town this past weekend which is the only reason I didn't go.  I need to have a serious talk with the people who put those things on about checking the movie release schedules when they set these things up.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 02:03:42 PM »

To be honest, Perry, I really didn't think you would like this or go see it. I'm actually kind of curious what Jeff and Jedi cow think of it though.

I just let myself be a little kid and watch all my superheroes in live-action be alive on the big screen. I also know that's not a great reason to like the movie, but I like the other movies for far less reasons.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 09:30:32 PM »

I haven’t seen it yet but my expectations are actually pretty low.  That’s a good thing and usually enhances my enjoyment of a film.  Hoping to find some time this week but if not, I had to take off the week of Dec 4 off to burn some vacation days.  I’ll definitely go see it that week.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 09:49:50 PM »

my daughter had a dance competition out of town this past weekend which is the only reason I didn't go.  I need to have a serious talk with the people who put those things on about checking the movie release schedules when they set these things up.

Amen, buddy. Shocked, absolutely shocked I say to find that you had not done so in advance
 Cheesy

To be honest, Perry, I really didn't think you would like this or go see it..

I heard it is "better than Suicide Squad" so that helps. But you are right, it is tough for me to sit in theaters anymore so when I go I really have to be vested in the product. I was (vested) in this movie until I heard about the ... average reviews and opinions of it
 Sad
I will certainly see it, or at least try here soon when it hits BluRay however ... or when it hits the Draft House.
 Smiley

And I think you got the best way to see any movie Jeff. I need to do that more. 
Grin

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 04:08:35 AM »

OK...so I liked it, but I didn't like it.  I liked it cause I basically just sat through a freaking SUPERFRIENDS live action movie.  I didn't like some of the characterization in it.

somehow, someway, the DCEU has just nailed Wonder Woman (and yes, I know there is a double entendre there).  I don't know how when they messed it up so bad with Superman, Green Lantern and basically everything in BvS other than WW but she is the brightest thing about this movie.  I hope they do 10 more WW movies with Gal Gadot.  She is brilliant as WW. 

The next part I talk about may be a tad confusing (I'm not even sure I get it).  I liked Ezra Miller's Flash but I also hated it.  Ditto for Aquaman.  If I take everything I know about the characters from the comics and just forget about them and take them at the face value of their movie counterparts, I like it.  But it gnaws at me that Aquaman speaks with all that slang and Flash acts the way he does (trying not to spoil it too bad.) when inside the fanboy in me is screaming that this is NOT the way they should be portrayed.  I had the same feelings for Thor in his recent flick also.

Steppenwolf being completely CGI, I'm not sure how i feel about that but it wasn't shoddy CGI.  I liked the parademons.  I liked the banter between Batman and Alfred even though I thought Batman was too witty and not the grim bastard we all know and love. 

There are 2 post credit scenes....

i was let down by the first one.  Actually, I was kinda let down by both of them because i expected it to be GL centric and Darkseid centric.  However, the appearance of that character in the second scene was FANTASTIC! even though it leaves me wondering what the plans for Darkseid are. 

I give it 7 Gleeks out of 10.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 11:16:38 AM »

Okay ... I got ya.

Hmmm, you summed up what I am hearing from most everyone here, much better than they by saying "... I liked it, but I didn't like it"

It summarizes what they are trying to say better than their head twists, shoulder shrugs and "well ... it's okay ... I guess"
 Grin

I know exactly what you mean AND why Jimmy thinks I probably wouldn't like it ... and he's probably right  Cheesy but we'll see someday
 Smiley

Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2017, 07:46:49 PM »

I saw it and had just about the same reaction that most of you had.  Just kinda OK.  A few thoughts I had after having seen it...

The GREAT:
1)  Gal Gadot still lights up the screen in every scene she's in.  Despite the dialogue she's plagued with, her action scenes and her presence were the best parts of the film.
2) 
Watching that amber-lit flashback to the epic ancient battle for the fate of the world and suddenly seeing those bright lime green hard light constructs light up from the green lantern.

The GOOD:
1)  Of all of them (besides WW), I was surprised to find my self most impressed with Ray Fisher's Cyborg.  He wasn't given a lot, but I thought he did a good job with what he had to work with.
2) 
Hey, whaddya know. Near the very end of the movie, we finally get an actual smiling Superman. Where have you been for 2 1/2 movies?

The OKAY:
1)  Flash was annoying but not as bad as I thought he would be.  There were parts in which he was genuinely funny.  He served as good comedy relief, but Flash's usual role as the "heart" of the group goes to Wonder Woman here (who also serves as the soul of the team, as well as the brains, etc.)
2)  Aquaman was a disappointment.  Think Thor, but darker, dumber, and grungier, with a trident instead of a hammer.  In his defense, it's hard to shoehorn Aquaman into a group where over 95% of the action takes place on dry land.  Given the extraterrestrial/cosmic nature of the villain, I think they missed a good opportunity to bring in GL instead.
3)  The villain was best described by one reviewer as something from a "Playstation 2 cutscene."  Can't really add much to that.

The BAD:
1) 
Superman was used as little more than a plot device most of the time.  Ok, let's have him dead to make the world a worse place.  Now let's use alien tech mumbo jumbo to bring him back mad (doesn't matter why or how) so we can have a fight scene with the team.  Now let's make him happy to join the team and pull their bacon from the fire at the end.
2) 
So the villain steals the first box from the Amazons after an epic bloody battle scene.  He then proceeds to steal the second from the Atlanteans after a somewhat less impressive effort.  Then, while the JL are dealing with the results of their science project gone bad, they leave the third box unprotected in a parking lot and the big bad just zips down and takes it without incident.
3)  Butt shots and upskirt shots.  At one point, the camera zoomed in so close to Gadot's rear end that we can see the outline of her underwear through her tight pants.  Plus, the Amazon's warrior armor and skirts have been replaced by stripperrific leather bikinis. C'mon, the Amazons (and the audience) deserve better than this.
4)  No Batman.  This time it's just Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne in a batsuit.

The WORST:
You smell that nasty stench at the end of the credits?  It's not vomit under the theater seats.  It's the end credits scene that gives us the return of Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor, the Jar Jar Binks of the DC film universe.  Not even the appearance of Slade Wilson is enough to soothe the nausea.  Tongue

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »

I broke my cardinal rule and read the spoilers.  Now I’m going to love this movie since my expectations are even lower. Cheesy

On a positive note I bet a lot, if not all of those “bad” things were from Zach. Now that he’s gone I’m hoping they will be too and the future of the DCEU will be brighter.  Maybe they’ll give the next one to the Wonder Woman crew.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2017, 10:38:30 PM »

Maybe they’ll give the next one to the Wonder Woman crew.

Agreed.  While Marvel's films run the spectrum from great to good to not-so-good, DC's movies have all been critically panned except for one that has been showered with accolades far above all the rest.  I have no idea why DC/Warner isn't begging Patty Jenkins to do more of their other movies.

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2017, 10:57:01 AM »

Well having NOT read the spoilers  Smiley I can only surmise (by uneducated, nonfactual thoughts  Cheesy) that the difference between a lot of DC movies and Marvel movies is that Marvel, by and large, seems to take the characters seriously, as great fictional stand-ins, while DC tends to sometimes think of them as the 60's caricatures that most people use to see comics as being. The main exception, Wonder Woman, treated properly by a woman that knew the importance of getting her movie right, stayed on point with who the character truly is and what she means.

Again, I say this half jokingly, but still, thinking back, it does seem that the worst movies don't think "comic heroes" as anything but a joke and the few creative teams that really care for the humanity and substance that lies beneath the capes, are the ones that at least give us wholehearted effort to make a good movie. Profitable sure, it is all about the money ... but not JUST profitable.

Again, I say this in total ignorance as I have not seen this latest effort, but I'm only going on memory of the past, and more precisely both Schumacher's Batmans, Riami's third effort, FOX's Fantastic Four and that horrible, pathetic Suicide Squad. None of those movies were made with any care for the true nature of the characters or content. And sadly it seems I can add this now?

Okay, enough of that inner brain stuff ...  Cheesy

Happy Thanksgiving !!!!!!!
 Smiley

Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2017, 04:49:20 AM »

Again, I say this in total ignorance as I have not seen this latest effort, but I'm only going on memory of the past, and more precisely both Schumacher's Batmans, Riami's third effort, FOX's Fantastic Four and that horrible, pathetic Suicide Squad. None of those movies were made with any care for the true nature of the characters or content. And sadly it seems I can add this now?

I don't think so.  I've never seen the new Fantastic Four or Suicide Squad, but I wouldn't say it is anywhere near as bad as Schumacher's Batman movies or Spider-Man 3.  Despite its plot holes and disappointing characterizations, I can honestly say that I still did enjoy the film for what it was and would consider watching it again on Blu ray. On the other hand, I still remember laughing out loud in the theater during Spider-Man 3 just as if I was watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 and I've never seen it again.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS