HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 04:52:15 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NIGHTWING - REBIRTH  (Read 10260 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 14, 2016, 12:08:12 AM »

Oops.  I forgot I hadn't finished the Grayson series before reading this.  Guess I know how that ends now (Don't worry, I'm still going to finish it).

Having said that, I like the setup for Dick's new mission.  This issue tied up some loose ends an reset the landscape for something new yet familiar.  This has potential to go really good or flop.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for really good.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:09:41 PM by Perry » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 10:43:01 PM »

One thing about sitting around in a hospital for four days ... you can get some reading in ... when you can get your brain shut off.

This was good. I liked the way the handled the dangling plot line of Damien having that ... situation.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 02:26:38 PM »

Issue #1 and #2

THE GOOD - I am finding out that this is like a different take on Dick's past title, Grayson.

THE BAD - I am finding out that this is like a different take on Dick's past title, Grayson, without being as good.

Oh yeah, the parallels are there. Where once was Tiger, now stands Raptor. Where once there was Spiral, now stands the Court. Where once I was really excited about Dick Graysons book, now stands a person that is constantly getting a feeling of "been there, done that".

This book isn't bad, but it does seem like I am reading "Grayson" again. I loved that book. I did. But I don't want "Nightwing" to be "Grayson". Why not just have Grayson - Rebirth if you are going to essentially keep the same structure? Sure, with this title we may be heading towards a different location, but it sure as hell seems we are treading the same path to get there. Though this time the path is too clear, with little obstructions and thus kinda boring.

6 outta 10 feelings of dèjà vu
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 04:04:32 PM »

I thought the same thing after reading issue 1.  Getting to issue 2 sometime this week.  But yeah - I don't want him in a costume for spy stuff.  Give me back Grayson for that.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 01:51:15 AM »

Issue 2 hasn't wowed me either.  This may be my first chop.   Undecided

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 12:06:50 PM »

Issue 2 hasn't wowed me either.  This may be my first chop.   Undecided

If this was a monthly $2.99 comic I think it would be different, but paying that amount twice, $6 a month for this, or any bi-monthly title that doesn't get that fun factor going, is just ... ya know ... not worth it?
 Undecided

Man, I really want titles like this, DC's semi secondary titles, to raise up and be great and really put the pressure on Marvel. Now I am not so sure. Way too early to be worried yet, DC is still strong overall, but I wanted a lot of titles constantly beating Marvel.
 Embarrassed

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 01:13:22 PM »

Nightwing Issue #10

I was interested in Bludhaven so I read this after saying I was probably going to drop this title. I was hoping that Bludhaven, much like Gotham, could be such a strong place that it becomes a character in and of itself. Again, just like Gotham. Gotham is a beast. Gotham is scary. Gotham has great feel and ambiance as a character. That hasn't happened yet for Bludhaven, but if I were to pretend it had, had to relate the city as a character and what it shows itself to be ... right now Bludhaven is just a needy, little bitch. So many billboards welcoming you in to the city showcasing or praising itself. Ugh. So many characters talking about it. Yes, the entire book was about Bludhaven so much in some form or another it got on my nerves.

Oh, and Nightwing was there too.

You can see what the creative team is doing here, trying to get Nightwing back, get away from the "spy" genre and return Dick to being the Batman of a different city, and I hope they get there, but this first issue fell a little flat for me. And the end?
Another character spotlight? Maybe? Who the hell is the Defacer? Hahaha, that sounds so stupid. A girl that carries paint spray cans? Is she from the 60"s or a lame ass foe from Dicks original run in Nightwing?

Oh well, maybe that will turn into something cool. I don't know how, but ...

I may read some more as I do really want Bludhaven to succeed like it did before, but for now ...

5 outta 10 cities to avoid
 Undecided

EDIT - The art by Marcus To was pretty cool, at times very cool, though !!!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 01:15:02 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 01:22:39 PM »

I dropped this and 5 out of 10 isn't going to get me back.   Undecided

I liked spy Dick Grayson but spy Nightwing? not so much.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 02:46:05 PM »

I dropped this and 5 out of 10 isn't going to get me back.   Undecided

I liked spy Dick Grayson but spy Nightwing? not so much.

Well the good news is he is o longer playing the spy role. This issue starts his old Nightwing life again. Back where he was a solo hero and not James Bond. That said, yes you are right, this isn't the issue to start coming back to.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 06:41:00 PM »

Issues #16 and #17

So not the best book, but certainly better than the last couple .... well ... lovey, dovey issues  Cheesy
I came back to see this "Deathwing" character and I got him. Pretty good stuff made better by an art style that fit (love when that happens). The appearance of ... well, the character at the end of issue #17 ... did almost pull me back into reading this again, but sorta like Hal and the GLC, I think this needs to drop to a monthly schedule. Needs the meat spread out over the meal a little more.
 Grin

Still an okay title, just not really bi-weekly deserving nor warranted, really. I have no problems saying that I will probably not read this again for a few as I just have too many more titles I like to keep up on. This is still not bad, just a side-effect of too many good books and too little time.

7 outta 10 - stolen Bat-Mobiles
 Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 08:11:17 PM »

Hey Perry - I still have that arc that starts in with issue 35 by Sam Humphires in my Wish List.

Did you finish reading it?  Is it worth getting?  The Trade collecting these is about to come out too.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 01:00:14 PM »

Ya know, Jeff, I honestly don't remember reading the last issue of Humphries run so I can't swear to how it ended up (I could have just forgot, keep in mind) but I do remember it petering out a few issues in ... or shortly after the halfway mark. Started really strong and it may have rebounded from its one or two issue slump and ended great, but I can't say I suggest it fully, because I don't remember the end.

I found the character, the antagonist pretty interesting, I do remember that, but man ... I am struggling with the memory on how the final confrontation went and/or if I enjoyed it or even if I read it
 Undecided

Maybe if you get it on sale, at a good price, then sure, or if your love or enjoyment of Nightwing is strong enough that a "so so" story would be worth reading, then grab it, but sorry, I really just can't remember if it wowed me enough at the end to recommend the darn thing.

I will try and go back through some of my posts and see if that rings a bell
 Cheesy

BRB
 Wink

EDIT - Okay, so I see on the week of March 7th that I listed issue #40, the penultimate issue of Humphries run, as a book I wanted to read and even said the following ...

Nightwing #40 - Only one more issue and I am off this again. Kinda took a wrong turn that I hope finishes better

... then a couple posts after that, I colored it to denote that I did read it  ... but of course, this is one of those few times where I don't say a damn thing about what I read and how any issues hit me!!!
 Angry

Only thing I can say is I must have not liked issue #39, at the very least, and was hoping it turned around. Damn it. Sorry for the no help.

Again, maybe if you are getting it at a good price ... or at least the first issue at a good price because hell, you may not like it from the start anyway
 Grin

Sorry again for not being able to speak on the ending, it started well for me is all I can say!!
(Now I have to go and see if I can find a copy of this thing to check how it ended)
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 01:17:33 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 02:12:32 PM »

LOL.  If that's not a rousing endorsement then I don't know what is.   Cheesy

I think I'll put the Trade in my Wish List and wait for a sale then.  I like Nightwing enough to enjoy a so-so story but there's a lot of other things I should get first.

If you change your mind let me know.  My memory is a lot like yours so I can certainly understand the fuzziness!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »

Cheesy
Yeah man
Anytime
 Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS