HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:44:08 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS - REBIRTH  (Read 35294 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2017, 06:26:50 PM »

... damn I just hate Kyle.

I liked him in Omega Men.  Maybe we should resurrect that series?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2017, 06:53:26 PM »

I know since Hal came back years ago, they had to make Kyle less Hal - like, which kind of took away some of his bark and bite. When I get there Perry, I'll let you know my thoughts!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2017, 08:22:31 PM »

I had just started to (from Omega Men thread) ...
I had a couple issues,. well one, I had one issue with where Mr. King took one of DC's characters, but at the same time, I can also respect that what he did was make this character mean something. And that is something that this character has not seemed to persuade this reader to think in some time. This particular character is about as redundant as anything in comics now anyway. So taking this character to this new level did some good, I feel. Maybe not now, but in the long run, at least in my eyes.

Yet it isn't what I see here at all and in-fact just ... oh it's sound like Black Beard time = ARRRGGGHHHH
 Cheesy

Angry Undecided

When I get there Perry, I'll let you know my thoughts!

Cool Cool Cool Smiley Smiley Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2017, 06:22:08 PM »

Just finished issues #23 and #24 and ... damn I just hate Kyle.

I know at one point in the past I used to like him. I know it as I remember it (as much as I remember anything these days  Cheesy) but now, today, over the last two years or so, I have just not been able to stomach this guy. I hated him as a Whiny White Lantern and I hate him now as a jejune jade one as well. I have no idea why he has changed so much but I am just not getting this character now.

I mean that as no offense to anyone that does, for any reason, but this is not the Kyle Raynor I used to know.

Or maybe I am just remembering it wrong? My memory should be held into question as I did totally forget what Tomr-Tu did until these two issues.
 Cheesy
And that saved the reading for me, to be honest.

Still, excited for the next issue though I hope the change is not too soon a'coming.
 Wink

About this, then onto #25 SPOILERS

wHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!!

Sorry, but I feel like Venditti shit the bed on this. Should Kyle have gone sooner to Soranik to discuss or say something? Sure, but human error, second guessing yourself, all those things occur. Stringing out the writing to create the event that makes Soranik go mad.

I mean SERIOUSLY SHE WENT F***IN' MAD! INSANE!!

This was NOT good writing. Angry as all hell, betrayed, whatever, but to flip a 180 degree switch to declare you are going back to the murderous ways of Sinestro's leadership, WHAT THE HELL? WHY would Soranik do that?WHY?

That does not follow under anything we've seen her do over the course of the last 3-4 years of writing, while being under Sinestro's thumb, as a Green aiding Yellow, as a Yellow thwarting her father, as a Yellow leading and changing all to her cause.

This was bullshit dumb. I hated issue 25. The stuff with Tomar; all good with that, his mistakes, the event of it. Hell, even the 'green impurity' caught me offguard, but hey, Jon's a forward thinker.

But everything involving Soranik sullied this issue, this arc, and the building foundation over the past year as her as a leader that converted the Fear Corps.

Terrible. Just terrible.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2017, 09:58:09 AM »

#25 SPOILERS

wHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!!

Sorry, but I feel like Venditti shit the bed on this. Should Kyle have gone sooner to Soranik to discuss or say something? Sure, but human error, second guessing yourself, all those things occur. Stringing out the writing to create the event that makes Soranik go mad.

I mean SERIOUSLY SHE WENT F***IN' MAD! INSANE!!

This was NOT good writing. Angry as all hell, betrayed, whatever, but to flip a 180 degree switch to declare you are going back to the murderous ways of Sinestro's leadership, WHAT THE HELL? WHY would Soranik do that?WHY?

That does not follow under anything we've seen her do over the course of the last 3-4 years of writing, while being under Sinestro's thumb, as a Green aiding Yellow, as a Yellow thwarting her father, as a Yellow leading and changing all to her cause.

This was bullshit dumb. I hated issue 25. The stuff with Tomar; all good with that, his mistakes, the event of it. Hell, even the 'green impurity' caught me offguard, but hey, Jon's a forward thinker.

But everything involving Soranik sullied this issue, this arc, and the building foundation over the past year as her as a leader that converted the Fear Corps.

Terrible. Just terrible.

So much here that I agree with. Totally, well, shocked in a way that, man, just hard to express.

This was so poorly done. Her 'flip' makes no sense in the time frame we are dealing with here nor the base reasoning. Oh sure, they could have made it a little easier to digest by having a mental implant by Sinestro that somehow triggers this bullshit decision when she feels the slightest fear or something along those lines or ... hell ... SOMETHING!!! BUt there is just no reason, okay, I don't want to so "no reason" but ... come on.
 Angry
And Ark, damn it, was hoping he would stay, but at least he was written in the proper light, just wish someone else was as well. Now I have two Lanterns that really irk the hell out of me, so ... yeah, there's that.

Art was good. And I liked the resolution of how that new spot on the corps will be filled and the alien race filling it, but that is the only reason this is getting the points it is getting.

3 outta 10 - plots that go into a sideways skid.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2017, 12:16:40 PM »

I had just started to (from Omega Men thread) ...
I had a couple issues,. well one, I had one issue with where Mr. King took one of DC's characters, but at the same time, I can also respect that what he did was make this character mean something. And that is something that this character has not seemed to persuade this reader to think in some time. This particular character is about as redundant as anything in comics now anyway. So taking this character to this new level did some good, I feel. Maybe not now, but in the long run, at least in my eyes.

Yet it isn't what I see here at all and in-fact just ... oh it's sound like Black Beard time = ARRRGGGHHHH
 Cheesy

Angry Undecided

Just finished issue 19 and I see why your saying this. 
Changing Kyle back to a Green Lantern was a bad idea.  And he seems to have devolved with the change.  They had him heading in the right direction and blew it.  Angry

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2017, 01:43:05 PM »

just wait ...
 Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2017, 01:46:30 AM »

Man, I can't wait for Jeff to get to 25!!!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2017, 10:12:11 AM »

Man, I can't wait for Jeff to get to 25!!!!!

Cheesy

That's almost mean.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2017, 01:23:29 PM »

Finished 20 & 21.

I love me a good time travel tale and I like the twist of the villains identity.  But I didn't like
weepy Kyle.  I would expect a reaction but not crying over someone you just met who may or not come to exist.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2017, 02:05:08 PM »

Finished 22 & 23.  Yes!  This is why I love this book.  Fracture storyline is starting off with a bang.

Gotta breakdown and buy 24 & 25 even though I'm over my budget for the week!  Gonna finish this story today!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2017, 03:08:35 PM »

Finished 24 & 25.

So here is my conundrum.  I completely agree with you guys on the WTF moment.  And yet, I still enjoyed this issue.

I agree - out of character - makes absolutely NO sense. And I don't like that they did that. In fact, I hate it because that's one of my favorite characters.

If that had been any other character then the decision could make sense and everything else that happened because of it was awesome.   Undecided

Sucks. I'd like to give the issue high marks but the blatant disregard for a characters core belief system for no real reason is bad. It taints all the greatness surrounding it.   Anger towards the person that omitted the truth - absolutely.  Abandoning everything they've lived and built for? No.

On the upside I guess...

She'll make for one hell of an adversary and hopefully the eventual redemption story will be good.  But I hate predictable plot lines.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:11:27 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2017, 05:33:03 PM »

Finished 24 & 25.

Sucks. I'd like to give the issue high marks but the blatant disregard for a characters core belief system for no real reason is bad. It taints all the greatness surrounding it.   Anger towards the person that omitted the truth - absolutely.  Abandoning everything they've lived and built for? No.

On the upside I guess...

She'll make for one hell of an adversary and hopefully the eventual redemption story will be good.  But I hate predictable plot lines.

All of those points, I support and echo 1000%.

But predictable plot lines just make the result obnoxious.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2017, 01:45:38 AM »

Won't lie, probably because I was pissy about 25, I looked for things to be cranky about.

Hal and Kyle's conversation? I found it to be trite and awful, even a bit condescendingly simple. "oh you artist types' and oh you plane jockeys. Whatever.  Roll Eyes

At least Orion was awesome and condescending to them as well.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2018, 03:37:53 AM »

This book is...fizzling a bit for me. I can't put my finger on why, however, and that bugs me more than how I feel towards the actual product.  Huh Huh Huh

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS