HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:33:19 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS - REBIRTH  (Read 35293 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 03:02:53 AM »

Issue 21's ending that
That Sarko is Kyle and Soranik's son? Damn, I want that explore in some many ways, in so many manners,
 in a different book where loudmouth Hal can take a backseat so we can watch Kyle try to wrestle with that one. I mean,
 yeah, this book was drawn by a 90s style fill in artist (which I far more prefer to what Marvel is doing with 'main stay artists'

And also, not to forget, but was that Tomar Re hiding in fear from the attack? Hmm....

Hmm...I think I may reread this arc (ha! RIGHT I GOT THAT TIME) because I want the full impact of this story arc to resonate with me.

Cool stuff.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2017, 09:59:43 PM »

Well I am way behind again on my Hal reading, mainly on purpose as I do like to read this in large chunks (even though last time I didn't enjoy it that much)  Cheesy, but after reading the latest Batman issue I saw the cover to Hal #26, start of the Fall of the Gods arc and it looks sweet so I am jumping back into this title now in preparation.

Cracking open issue #18 now.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 02:54:48 AM »

I just finished 11, 12, & 13 so I'm behind but more caught up here than any other DC.

Love the book still and interesting tale having Larfleeze controlling Brainiac.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2017, 09:15:48 AM »

I just finished 11, 12, & 13 so I'm behind but more caught up here than any other DC.

And that is saying something. Shame DC decided to no longer reduce the price of their digital comics as I know you used to keep up more closely when they had that dollar savings. But if people are buying at that ridiculous digital price of "same as print", I can't blame DC for eliminating the savings. I can blame the people paying that much though.
 Cheesy

I can also blame DC for not having a MU type of digital offering. Man I wish they would hurry up and do that so I can go all subscription based digital. I will even put up with Marvel's reader to make it easier for me in the long run.

Love the book still and interesting tale having Larfleeze controlling Brainiac.

And boy was he P.O.d about that  Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2017, 02:17:44 PM »

And that is saying something. Shame DC decided to no longer reduce the price of their digital comics as I know you used to keep up more closely when they had that dollar savings. But if people are buying at that ridiculous digital price of "same as print", I can't blame DC for eliminating the savings. I can blame the people paying that much though.
 Cheesy

I can also blame DC for not having a MU type of digital offering. Man I wish they would hurry up and do that so I can go all subscription based digital. I will even put up with Marvel's reader to make it easier for me in the long run.

What's even crazier is if you wait for one of the digital trades, the price of the trade divided by the number of issues it collects comes out to about $1.99 per issue.  Why not go ahead and drop that price earlier?  Makes no sense to me.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 03:47:44 PM »

What's even crazier is if you wait for one of the digital trades, the price of the trade divided by the number of issues it collects comes out to about $1.99 per issue.  Why not go ahead and drop that price earlier?  Makes no sense to me.

Right?
But hey, with most of DC's best hitting that bi-weekly schedule, at least it only takes about a month and a half for you to get the trades you are wanting to read.  Cheesy

Of course Aquaman just went monthly, as did Deathstroke, and both of those titles are at pretty significant arcs so that sucks, price wise.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2017, 07:54:42 PM »

Issue 21's ending ...

But did we need that last page?
It was pretty damn obvious earlier when the thing targeting both he and you know who and then showed us the "family tree" what the deal was, but having "him" cry on the last page?  Is that what Kyle would have done? Cry with his head in his hands? I personally hated that ending.

And I hated the art. Like a cheap Pat Broderick.   Wink

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2017, 01:22:27 AM »

Issue 21's ending ...

But did we need that last page?
It was pretty damn obvious earlier when the thing targeting both he and you know who and then showed us the "family tree" what the deal was, but having "him" cry on the last page?  Is that what Kyle would have done? Cry with his head in his hands? I personally hated that ending.

And I hated the art. Like a cheap Pat Broderick.   Wink

Maybe...

Realizing that maybe you get the girl you want, maybe you somehow start a family...and that child gets killed?
 I know the story and writing hasn't always met that gravitas, and Moore, or Ennis, or Ellis, or Morrison could have stamped it in better, but still...I don't know. I can believe Kyle would cry. To know something, and then have it snatched away before you could act on it? I could be talking the child, I could be talking about how he feels about her, and him wondering if he even could or should pursue her. To not have the love you want in your life? I'd cry over that too.

But I cry alot these days. Honest. Fatherhood has done that to me. Damn you Disney movies!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2017, 10:24:08 AM »

True. that could be it.  Smiley

But I think he would be happy to know they got together in the future more than feeling sad for someone he lost as, more importantly, he has to know how this "super-hero" stuff works and the future is merely a possibility. The fact he got with her and had the child would bring a sense of joy, to me I think. Maybe a tad sad by the possibility of losing a child he has yet to meet, but not flat out balling like that. Again, in my opinion. But maybe you got it right.  Smiley

I am actually wondering if it was an artist going a little too far with his interpretation of the script

"final page - we see Kyle sitting sadly in contemplation of the family he could have had"

Maybe?

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2017, 02:18:11 AM »

Possibly/maybe.

Want to know something that really rang with me?

Now, this isn't saying you are insensitive, or a clod, or a jerk, or any such thing. Perhaps you remember with my past that my wife has had 2 miscarriages. So, your line of 'Maybe a tad sad by the possibility of losing a child he has yet to meet, but not flat out balling like that' kinda slammed home real quick. Just highlights where everyone can come from.

So, yeah, maybe Kyle is really sensitive. Or they over wrote/overdid the scene, too.  Cool

To be honest, I was more excited about the ramifications and the 'what ifs' opposed to how I actually thought of the presented last page panel.  Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2017, 02:35:14 AM »

I wish I could read these spoilers.   Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2017, 10:44:41 AM »

Want to know something that really rang with me?

And you are right, I did forget about that.  Sad Of course taking that into consideration your POV on that last page is, of course, much more personal and powerful for you. You see it in a very different light. And I am both happy and sad about that. Sad because well, it is sad, of course, but happy about it because anytime a form of art hits you emotionally it is, to me, a great thing. (Please, I hope you understand what I mean by that)

So yes, I do understand why YOU took that page the way YOU did (and I REALLY should have understood that from the get go ... sorry I did not Cry), I still don't think that it shows true to what this particular character would feel/do.

I hope you can see what I mean. I do know and understand completely how it is hard for someone in a situation as close to that to separate their own thoughts and feelings and I see how you got to the point of relating, but I just still feel it was ... well ... off.

But yeah, I get ya, truly. And thanks for reminding me ... not only because I should have remembered (damn it, I should have) but to further understand your point and to see the page a tad differently, even it it is not the one I agree with.
 Undecided

I wish I could read these spoilers.   Grin

Wait for it, man. Wait for it. The digital trade is not too far away.

We'll still be here.
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2017, 12:03:46 AM »

Perry, nothing but two thumbs up and a wink and a nod of approval from me. I understand it all, and I get everything you're saying. There's no harm there's no foul all is right in the world. Kiss

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2017, 09:06:05 AM »

Kiss Kiss Kiss
Right back atcha big guy
 Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2017, 05:56:59 PM »

Just finished issues #23 and #24 and ... damn I just hate Kyle.

I know at one point in the past I used to like him. I know it as I remember it (as much as I remember anything these days  Cheesy) but now, today, over the last two years or so, I have just not been able to stomach this guy. I hated him as a Whiny White Lantern and I hate him now as a jejune jade one as well. I have no idea why he has changed so much but I am just not getting this character now.

I mean that as no offense to anyone that does, for any reason, but this is not the Kyle Raynor I used to know.

Or maybe I am just remembering it wrong? My memory should be held into question as I did totally forget what Tomr-Tu did until these two issues.
 Cheesy
And that saved the reading for me, to be honest.

Still, excited for the next issue though I hope the change is not too soon a'coming.
 Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS