HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 10:00:46 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS - REBIRTH  (Read 35303 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 13, 2016, 11:46:49 PM »

Rebirth issue.

Thumbs up.  I've been away from Green Lantern long enough that my event fatigue has faded.  This was a good issue and I'm looking forward to picking this up and re-discovering Hal, the Corps, and all things Lantern.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:13:53 PM by Perry » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 01:30:05 AM »

Agree. Good "Rebirth" issue. About the best one so far IO think as far as getting readers up to speed while also moving the plot forward.

Looking forward to it

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 02:43:50 AM »

REALLY enjoyed the Rebirth issue! Awesome to see Ethan Van Sciver on his GL boy again, and the issue hit with enough  portents of big, important things to come without seeming like a huge crossover event.

Those were the best times of Geoff Johns run. I hope to see that kind of return...or dare I say....rebirth? Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 03:11:42 AM »

Anyone else reading this?

It's one of my top five from Rebirth.  Heck maybe top three. Issue 4 continues to move this story along with some fun Guy Gardner moments.  Sinestro is great in this book.  Hal is great.  John Stewart is great.

Just great series all in all.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 03:41:38 AM »

Anyone else reading this?

Yep and the most recent issue will be my "bed time reading" book tonight ... which will be in about 1 hour.  Grin

Was going to try and finish Doom Patrol, but saw your post and thought -
"Yeah ... I like this book too. Why haven't I read this issue yet?"
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 03:20:11 PM »

Enjoyed the issue, a lot (never been a fan of Guy, but getting to like him more) but there is one ... not even a problem, but ... there is one thing that KINDA bothers me and that is the name of Sinestro's "planet".

Warworld.

I just don't feel it should be called that. It doesn't fit into what Sinestro's motives (his totally wacked motives) or his goals are. War is not something he represents, though it finds him most of the time, but he represents the exact opposite, peace. At least in his mind.

But other than that, I am enjoying this book right there with ya. I will now have to think about where I would place it in the Rebirth rankings and update that thread
 Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 05:44:21 PM »

Issue #6

Look folks, Jeff has been telling you (or at least me  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy) how much this title feels like the good ole GL again and this title pushes that point home even further.  "Heroic" Hal Jordan,  "Kiss my ass" Guy Gardner, "Let's do this" John Stewart and "I will rule them all" Sinestro !!! Yep, the gangs all here. And the good thing is, so is the story !!!!

8 outta 10 %'s that just keeps going up!!!!!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 08:15:59 PM »

Oh yeah - when I get time to buy somethings on Comixology I'm catching up on this title first!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 12:48:44 AM »

Issue #6

Look folks, Jeff has been telling you (or at least me  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy) how much this title feels like the good ole GL again and this title pushes that point home even further.  "Heroic" Hal Jordan,  "Kiss my ass" Guy Gardner, "Let's do this" John Stewart and "I will rule them all" Sinestro !!! Yep, the gangs all here. And the good thing is, so is the story !!!!

8 outta 10 %'s that just keeps going up!!!!!

Definitely on all this.

I, too, am up through issue 6. And I'm all in with this title. Gives me a bit of the feels from back in the prior GL titling of the issues that led up to Sinestro War. Factions are moving about, things are happening, events and characters are closing in on each other, but man, I'M HOOKED.

I know it's Hal versus Thaal one more time-AND I'M SO JAZZED FOR IT!!!  Cool Grin

Some great art is being kept up through this arc's rotation. I know it's all super hero suits and fighting, which is something I complain about when there is too much of it in other books (re: Superman, Batman), but here it's all I want! LOL

I may even top Perry's with a 9 GL Oath stanzas out of 10. 

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 02:06:56 AM »

I may even top Perry's with a 9 GL Oath stanzas out of 10. 

Grin
Top away, good sir !!! 9 isn't a bad assessment. Especially 9 Oath stanzas  Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 08:07:59 PM »

Issue 7

Man, I love this book.

Great conclusion to this arc and left me wanting more more more!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 08:03:47 PM »

Just found out some very useful, though ultimately way late, information about this title.

In the series Sinestro,  Sinestro was suppose to be old when that series ended.

Now I am not sure ... as I didn't read Sinestro past issue 4 or so ... if he was going to be old in the series or if he went old and then went back to young before the title ended or what, but he was suppose to be old when that series ended.

Well somewhere in all this, and I am not sure how yet, the Rebirth stuff was moved up or stuff just got lost in the mix, but the Hal Jordan title took off and instead of the DC editorial having shown fans an aged Sinestro in his own title, this Hal story is the first place we see him like that.. It is why at the start of issue one, we were all confused as to why Sinestro was old ... well it wasn't something we missed, it is something they forgot to tell us.

Grin Grin

They may get around to that later but more than likely, that accident has now been swept under the rug enough to just not bring up again (very likely)

Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 03:00:33 AM »

Yeah, they didn't give a direct reason why he was old and decrepit in this volume. You do know it if you read the prior volume of 'Sinestro', but the most they give here was that it was a ruse to lure his daughter into taking control (which they mention in GLC here), and that by refusing with Parallax, he regains his vitality.

But yeah, you don't have a true known reason why or how it happened in these opening pages. Guess I never thought of a new reader coming into that!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 03:04:07 AM »

Damned awesome end of this arc-or near end to the arc!! So looking forward to fall out from this arc!! Great stuff, exciting GL action and mythos.

There will always be a part of me that misses Hal doing earth stuff...but you know what? Hal is done with earth. I really don't believe he wants to go back there to live. Oh sure, to visit and all that. Going home to see everyone is just what servicemen really need, but Hal won't ever bother with the secret I.D. on earth and pretend to carry on with a 'normal' life. Flying the stars is what is his normal.

Superman may be the physiological alien to earth, but Hal is the stranger in a strange land when he's  doing a return to Coast City.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 04:08:58 PM »

Issues #8 and #9

Just A-1 stuff here. Top notch story telling and great art make this book an easy top 5 title. Really impressed all around.
And that ending !!!!

Looking forward to issue #10 now more than ever.

9 outta 10 - cliff hangers
 Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS