HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:45:01 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Top 5 Image books ... as of now. LOL  (Read 6310 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 05, 2016, 01:37:17 PM »

Okay, just wrote about my fondness for The Fix, a great Image title, so while I am hearing from the guys that Image's sales have started to peter out a tad (same problem Marvel has in a way ... publishing too many titles in a time where too many titles can't survive, so you end up eating into your own product), there are still some very good ... no, great titles out there. This publisher is still kicking major ass with their top titles.

As someone with about 30 Image titles on his "watch list" (luckily not all Image titles come out at the same time Shocked)  I could easily list a top 10 Image titles list, but I wanted to push myself, test myself to come up with only my top 5. So this may change ... next month
 Cheesy
So with some titles being on the "Image break" (Like Southern Bastards, Copperhead, Deadly Class, Wicked and Divine, etc ...), here are my current top five.

In no order other than alphabetical !!

Birthright
East of West
Lazarus
Papergirls
Saga
The Fix

Now I am behind on some of these and think a couple may have just went on break as well, so ... man, I have no idea if this will be close to my top five next month.
 Cheesy

(Oh, did I accidently put 6 titles in my top 5?)
 Cheesy
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 12:48:09 AM »

Hmmm.  I think my top five right now are these five (in no particular order):

Descender
East of West
Low
Invincible
Velvet

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 02:06:34 AM »

Birthright
Invincible
Saga
That may be all I read from Image??

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 03:02:10 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

If that's true your missing a LOT of good books!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 07:02:05 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked indeed.

Yeah, Jimbo, Like Jeff said you are missing out some great books. Some very good ones too.
(Though I think you are forgetting Morning Glories as I am pretty sure you read that one  Wink)

Going just off your list of what you are getting I can seriously promote/push the following books that you should give time to.

Papergirls - Like Saga, a BKV sci-fi book. This one is more related to time stuff than alien stuff ... well, not really now that I think about it, but ... really hard to describe and a book that does take more than the first issue to see what is going on (heck, at issue 6 I still don't know the half of it  Cheesy) but damn is it good.

The Fix - Like Morning Glories, a Spencer crime book. Okay, not really anything like Morning Glories but Spencer has me rolling with this title. A very funny, "bad cop" story. One of the funniest books I have read.

Both of those are still pretty new, so you can catch up quick, but there is also some fantastic stories a little longer in the tooth that I think, knowing what you like, you have a good chance of really digging.

Heck, I know you like Rucka's Wonder Woman, have you tried his Lazarus? That is on issue #22 and is kicking the term mafia and mafia family black and blue in this future world. Heck, speaking of Rucka ... his black and white (with a tad of color now and then) Black Magick title is also interesting and it is only at issue #5 (though I am not sure if Wonder Woman has put a kink in the schedule of that now?

And if those don't hit for you, at least, for Comics sake Grin, at least try these new titles soon to hit -

Hickman's Black Monday Murders - previewed HERE
or
The one I am itching for, Remender's - Seven To Eternity - previewed HERE

And please tell me you read Scottie Young's I hate Fairyland !!! Awesome stuff !!!

Man, I could go on and on about the good stuff at Image, but as I do that already with Valiant ...  Cheesy

But bottom line lots of Image stuff. Looking at my list of Image of things not discussed ...

Copperhead ... wait ... that's another you read, isn't it?!!!  Smiley Cool
Descender ... (a Jeff favorite and mine as well  Smiley) a great book about a robot (so much more than that)
Deadly Class ... assassin school
Empty Zone ... okay, you would not like this one ... I don't think ... skip that one
Fuse ... Crime drama on a space station
Injection ... paranormal Warren Ellis book
Invisible Republic ... a ... a ... future political/conspiracy drama ?? I guess  Cheesy
Kaptara ... HAHAHA, so damn funny. He-Man and the Masers of the Universe on acid!!!!
Low ... I am just getting into
Manifest Destiny ... Lewis and Clark going across the US, discovering monsters along the way !!!
Southern Bastards ... it's all about football  Cheesy okay, not really
Spread ... an alien fungus takes control of the planet
Velvet ... don't you get this also ??
The Wicked and The Divine ... killer book about older gods
Wolf ... Kind of like Constantine

Those are some (most) of what I try t keep my eye on and there are countless other stuff I hear great things about like Monstress and Symmetry

Anyway, yeah man, good stuff. Start getting some cheaper diapers and get you some more Image books !!!
 Cheesy
 Grin
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 08:43:12 PM »

Did you drop out of Black Science?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 09:31:59 PM »

Did you drop out of Black Science?

No, just behind and skipped over it on my list  Cheesy

Also didn't add Chew, Revival, Tokyo Ghost or Wayward as I am waaay behind on those as well.
 Cheesy

And ya know what's a shame ... I've been sneaking looks at Spawn and Savage Dragon (both being drawn by Eric Larson now) when no-one is looking.
 Cheesy
 Cheesy
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 10:22:33 PM »

OH duh, Morning Glories. With #50 coming out, that means the next oversized hardcover can't be too far away either!

I read Copperhead too. Good, decent tale there. Just so long as they worked on the next volume, that I just consider it like waiting for the next book from an author. Not like a GRRM Game of Thrones wait; that'll never come.

I was reading a friend's Manifest Destiny. I always enjoyed it at the time, but it never properly ...hooked me to say "yes, next month soon, now, PLEASE." Same with Black Science.

I don't like crime drama/noir books/fiction. I love shows that stay closer to it like NYPD Blue, but reading it, I just don't care. I never have.

The others...I just haven't put money towards. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »

Well change that and grab The Fix  Wink

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 01:24:49 AM »

Well change that and grab The Fix  Wink

Done!! Thanks Black Friday Comixology sale!

and I popped off all of East of West that was available too!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 04:35:39 AM »

I love East of West. That's one I definitely look forward to each month.  The Fix is funny and though not a must read for me, it's very enjoyable. By that i mean if I stopped reading it I wouldn't miss it, but the fact that I do read it just makes life a little more fun.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS