HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 08:03:09 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NEW SUPER-MAN  (Read 6967 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 18, 2016, 11:39:51 AM »

Okay, honest time, I had no interest in this "Super-Man". No interest at all and I don't know why.

My main (and constant) complaint with Superman (the non-hyphened version) is he is boring to me. Either way too powerful or just bland and uninteresting. Again, to me. So why was I so quick to just disregard a version of the character that seems so different? Isn't that what I kinda wanted? Well, after seeing a sneak peek into DC's September solicits and seeing the following description for issue #3 of the New Super-Man title -

"When Kenan Kong decided to out the Justice League of China to the world, he was just trying to impress people, not start a revolution! But the damage is done, and the fallout turns deadly as these heroes come face to face with Flying Dragon General and the Freedom Fighters of China!"

- how can I not get this? Flying Dragon General? What the what?!!??!!?? That sounds freakin' interesting as hell and could lead to some Happy Reader Comic-Time!!!!
 Grin

Looks like the Blue Beetle (or as I always try to spell it Beatle ... damn rock musicians  Cheesy) will be on a short leash as I try to decide between these two titles. I just have to try this Superman Super-Man now
 Smiley Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 12:49:37 PM »

I love the Chinese set of heroes in the Justice League. Such great characters! 'August-General-in-Iron' such great names too! Mother of Ten!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 04:16:38 PM »

I love the Chinese set of heroes in the Justice League. Such great characters! 'August-General-in-Iron' such great names too! Mother of Ten!

Right? So cool / odd!!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 10:46:55 PM »

And as I am not in the mood to really go into other comics right now, I will just add that after reading this and honestly enjoying the other Superman comics (though I was kinda rolling my eyes at some of Jurgens stuff in the last Action), I have decided to go all in ... almost all in with the complete DC stuff. Still no interest in Cyborg, and I am not yet into Green Arrow (though I will try the same writer's Teen Titans) but I think I will go ahead and at least "try" the rest. Even the Redhood. Even Superwoman. Heck, even Supergirl!!!

Yeah, I am really hyped about DC. Man, this feels good, right?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 12:32:44 PM »

Issue #2

Cheesy Remember Justice League International? Well that is what this book is kinda reminding of. From a "jerk" Superman to a "tubby" Batman all the way down to a leader that ... seems sketchy  Wink and of course some humor to set it all in place, this book has me.

Issue #1 was mainly centered around the, well, origin I guess, of Keenan Kong (or Kong Keenan in the correct way of having your family name first ... which I love ... though would not want for me and my last name  Cheesy). Showing how this jerk became the new Chinese Super-Man. And with issue #2, we see two more members of the Chinese Justice League; Batman and Wonder Woman (and as Kong says ... "aren't those names taken?"  Cheesy), and their first 'mission' which of course goes swimmingly  Cheesy Cheesy

Will this book tie into the rest of DC, probably not, but this is so good I am glad it is on its own island and will not have to deal with any interference. Well, I think there maybe some sales interference sadly, as this will probably be one of the books that no-one tries and so will probably be canceled after 8 issues. But hey, maybe that will be for the best (if the writer only has an eight issue idea, which I doubt). Yes, I am gonna miss this when its gone, but for now, this is rapidly climbing up to the top of my read pile.

8 outta 10 training sessions gone wrong
 Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 05:05:42 PM »

Issue #4

Man, this book is so darn cool. It is really fun watching this jerk begin to grow into a hero. This entire series has been fun, but this one was one of the best ones yet. And a great last page !!!

Hope more people grab this. I want this to be at least a 12 issue run, if not more.

Good stuff !!!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 08:23:51 PM »

Undecided
So DC using Marvel's tricks now?
Luckily I didn't read the issue because of the labeling, I read this anyway (and so should everyone else as its a very well done book, damn it  Grin) but giving this a "Superman Reborn Aftermath" label on the cover when it has maybe one sentence about ... Superman and his "Reborn'ness" was pretty damn weak.

Stop it DC. Don't start picking up Marvel's bad habits!!!

Still, you guys should read New Super-Man heck, at the very least issues 9 and 10 ... good Superman (the real one) stuff!!!
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 03:05:17 PM »

Issues 1 - 6

So I finally got around to this book and finished up the first six issues.  So I came here to write what I thought this reminded me of and looky here.....

Cheesy Remember Justice League International? Well that is what this book is kinda reminding of.

Exactly what I was thinking while I was reading this.  And being that the Justice League International is one of my all time favorite Justice League runs you can imagine how much I loved this book.

I will say that by the end of issue six it had shifted a little and reminded me more of Invincible...another of my all time favorites.

So a really fun book that reminds you of JLI and Invincible?  Oh yeah, I'm all in.   Grin

An unexpected surprise and a great replacement for the spot that Justice League 3000 had in my list.

I hope Vol 2 comes out soon or I'll be forced to pay full price for the next issues!

9 out of 10 Mini Starro's

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 12:24:51 PM »

Sweet.

I know I didn't recommend it exactly, but I always feel pressure after praising a title when someone later picks it up. It is like, I don't want to let anyone down or make them feel like they wasted money on something that I may or may not have said.
 Undecided
Just a mental thing I guess.

Still, I am glad you liked it as much as I did.

Sadly, the art goes down a tad after issue ... #10 or maybe #9 (though not to the extreme) as the artist moves up the chain at DC and goes to another title ... that I have since forgotten to where he moved.
 Undecided

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS