HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:16:45 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Civil War II  (Read 37257 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 14, 2016, 08:02:09 PM »

I got the free Civil War II #0 issue from Comixology and I got a free Dallas Comic Con Exclusive copy of Civil War II #1. 

So my question is can you follow Civil War II without buying any of the Tie-Ins?  And if so, would it be worth picking up as it comes out (on Comixology) as opposed to waiting for it to show up in Marvel Unlimited?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 10:26:41 PM »

I got the free Civil War II #0 issue from Comixology and I got a free Dallas Comic Con Exclusive copy of Civil War II #1. 

Sweet!

So my question is can you follow Civil War II without buying any of the Tie-Ins? 

As I have only read two of the tie-ins so far (I don't consider ANY of the "Prelude to Civil War" banners as any sort of tie-in),  and I am only going on past "events" when I say absolutely. I will be reading the X-Men and the Choosing Sides tie-ins as well as most others, but none are needed (as far as I can tell) to get the story of Civil War.
Heck, Hercules Tie-In, Civil War Gods ... something, was nothing but
a one page shot of the Celestial attacking the city and then it went back to the story that was going on in his book before it was axed.
Civil-War Spider-Man, was also just a story not needed, as it was just
Peter showing Ulysses (the Inhuman that can see in the future) around Parker Industries  Grin
I would say, honestly, if you wanted to get any side story, the best one would be the Choosing Sides mini. Everything else I feel will be just be typical non-important filler material, just to chase a buck. Choosing Sides (or whatever the name) I think will be more like the first Civil War's "Front Line" tie-in series. A series that told a little more, but nothing that you had to read at all to enjoy or understand Civil War I.

I would avoid them all, unless free of course  Grin, and get just Civil War proper ... IF that is what you are going to do.
 Smiley

As I will probably read most of the tie-ins, unless Dave backs out, I can relay any relevant info, if you need.  Smiley

And if so, would it be worth picking up as it comes out (on Comixology) as opposed to waiting for it to show up in Marvel Unlimited?

Are you asking should you buy Civil War II, right

That is a tough question for me to answer with issue #2 only hitting tomorrow.

I will say I like the way it is going and I was impressed with Tony's dialog and both he and Carol's reasoning so far. If you feel the saem and you are enjopying it, sure!  Grin It is good. But again, I can't really tell you to get it, yet. All I can tell you is I am enjoying it. Even without the money grabbing tie-ins
 Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 03:20:10 AM »

Ok let me know what you think after reading issue 2.

No sense for me to buy all the tie ins since I have an MU subscription, but I may buy the main title just to stay current.

Of course, I won't do that until I actually get around to reading my freebies.  By then it may all be on MU anyway.   Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 10:50:28 AM »

Of course, I won't do that until I actually get around to reading my freebies. 

Oh, damn, Haha, I thought you may have already done so ... yeah, you should read them. Try and fit them into to this weeks reads. I will let ya know about issue 2 by Thursday (hopefully), but issue one should tell you if you want to follow through or not. That is the issue that will probably make or break your interest.

It made mine, as I didn't really have an interest in this ... Phillip K. Dick theme ... but after reading through the first issue, yeah I was in. Or after reading FCBD issue really, as that issue's contents happens in-between issues 0 and 1, but regardless it is very important to the story, so make sure you have that as well, regardless of which order you read them in. Either issue 0 and then FCBD, 1, 2, etc... (which is the way I kinda wish I read them in) or FCBD and then issues 0, 1, 2, etc ... (they way they were published). Either way will be fine however.
 Smiley
but that FCBD ... yeah you should read that.

By then it may all be on MU anyway.   Cheesy

Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 12:01:19 PM »

Oops.  My bad. I didn't get issue 0.  It was the FCBD issue.  That zero issue is $5  Angry

I'll go ahead and read FCBD and see if I want to plop down the $5 for zero.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 01:50:06 PM »

Oops.  My bad. I didn't get issue 0.  It was the FCBD issue.  That zero issue is $5  Angry

I'll go ahead and read FCBD and see if I want to plop down the $5 for zero.

Sounds like a plan.  Smiley

I will have to look it over again, but I think you can go right from the FCBD issue to #1 without too much loss. The zero issue kinda sets up the event, but no action (that I can recall), just the start of the debate, a real cool court room scene with Jennifer 'She-Hulk' Walters discussing a trail with subject matter ... kind of in relation to the events about to happen and the showing of Ulysses and setting him up as the main player/catalyst.

There is also one part about Rhodey and the President, but nothing I can't just tell you if it comes to it, and it really had nothing to do with the event. Not really.

Again, it almost felt like a zero issue should be. We get so use to zero issues being no different than the first issue, but this was at least a change from that as it felt like a zero issue
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 04:02:54 PM »

Wow.  I really have idiot brain going on this week.

I knew that Zero was stuck in my head for a reason.  Here is what I actually got which is different than I listed at the beginning of this.

Comixology freebie:
Civil War II FCBD issue

Fan Expo Dallas:
Civil War II #0  w/ Fan Expo Variant cover.

Looks like I can follow Perry's original advice.  And with all the stupidity I've displayed I probably should go ahead and start buying it!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 06:16:25 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy

Well now I am patiently waiting for you to next post that you actually have Civil War I issues 3 and 4 and none of Civil War II at all.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Have you read them yet?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 06:26:10 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy

Well now I am patiently waiting for you to next post that you actually have Civil War I issues 3 and 4 and none of Civil War II at all.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Have you read them yet?

ROFLMAO - Not yet.  I'm in the office today and my calendar doesn't free up until the afternoon.   Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 01:23:35 PM »

Issue #2 (No spoiler talk)

I am not sure how I feel about this issue. I spent the first half kinda mad at a certain character for doing a certain thing, but then found out later that it ... well, ended up not truly being what I thought it was. Or at least not as bad as I thought it was. Not sure if that tainted my enjoyment or not.

I gotta say though, this art is just amazing. I mean, wow!!!! That can certainly help a lot of the smaller problems with this title.
 Cheesy

As for action, it was kind of a step back from last issue, but as issue #3 looks to ramp it back up again, I guess that is fine. Plus, given the subject matter here, not sure all out action is what is best for this title anyway.

But all in all it was fine. This score is mostly because of the art however -

7 outta 10 ways Marvel is pushing Karnak 
Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 08:20:51 PM »

I will make this warning quick -

For anyone who may come across this, even though I am well aware that it may be far too late to safe anyone ...

DO NOT spend one single penny on Civil War II: Choosing Sides

That is all.
Thank you for your time

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 12:38:52 PM »

Sooooo, Bendis is saying that this 7 issue series will now be and 8 issue series as he (Bendis) needed an extra issue because... he has now wrote a better ending?

Oh boy, if this ending sucks ...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy I don't understand how you can change and ending to a story that was pretty much planned out, supposedly set-up the MU for "YEARS TO COME"  Wink and other writers may have been planning off of, but my thinking is the ending hasn't really changed as much as how we get there. Maybe he found a way for
Captain Marvel not to look like a crazy ass person that doesn't understand basic rights.  Cheesy She does have a movie coming out soon. She can't stay with this ideological way of thinking.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 02:37:35 AM »

So....does this mini suck? That's the word I'm kinda getting from out in the interwebs....

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 02:53:21 AM »

So....does this mini suck? That's the word I'm kinda getting from out in the interwebs....

I have a friend at the Cigar bar that loves it.  It's actually brought him back into comics and now he's trying everything. ( I convinced him to get MU as he was starting to buy all those back issues at full price digitally. )

Of course that's one persons opinion.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 01:40:39 PM »

I have a friend at the Cigar bar that loves it.  It's actually brought him back into comics and now he's trying everything. ( I convinced him to get MU as he was starting to buy all those back issues at full price digitally. )

Smart.  Smiley

Does it suck? Eh, it is what it is. Good stuff, bad stuff. Obviously a couple major deaths will bring haters, as will characters acting like they never should and I can't see how anyone would possibly be on Carol's side of this. Still, I have enjoyed a lot of it so far (and the art is just incredible!!!!) but I have also just rolled my eyes at times. But is it good? Does it suck? People love it, people hate it. My answer is honestly just another question. Does it really matter? As long as crazy people keep buying this shit, these damn yearly events, especially at the insane price point that Marvel is so nicely placing on them ... it doesn't really mater if it's good or bad.

It just like in the "Untold History of Marvel Comics" book I listened to (ha, that seems weird to type. A book I listened to). back when Marvel doubled their price just to test the market and they noticed sales didn't drop at all ... guess what. Take a guess what they are doing now? (And don't think DC is not doing it with their "only $2.99" an issue but twice a month shipping). They are testing the damn buyers again. How much can they soak out of "fans" before you finally walk the hell away.

I just can't stress enough to "comic fans", to get this to stop, you must stop. Stop F'n buying events. Stop F'n buying $5, $6 and even $7 F'n comics. I am reading through some old DC and some old Marvel right now and for $1 or even $2 on Comixology (or sent or borrowed from a friend  Cheesy) you can sit and read a book that takes 4 times longer to read, has more events happening in the first half than three damn issues of current comics and has some of the best artists that ever picked up a pencil. It's like the old Cheech and Chong Chinese restaurant skit -
"You order shit. you eat shit"
Stop buying the shit!!!!!

*ahem*

But you would hate it anyway Jimmy ... you know it is written by Bendis.
 Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS