HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:01:38 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ACTION COMICS - REBIRTH  (Read 34516 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 12:54:26 AM »

So the last issue I read was 972.  And I went ahead and dropped the title for cost reasons.

Now, of course, I'm all interested in this Mr. Oz arc that started in 988 which will lead up to his identity reveal.

So my question is - should I pick back up at 973 and get caught up?  or should I just start at 988 and read forward through this arc?  I will likely stop again afterwards but who knows.  I'm fickle.

EDIT - oh yeah - I'll pick up Doomsday Clock as well.  Aaargh!  Decisions!

Jeff....

with all you have to read, I think you will be just fine picking up and going. It's Jurgens, he writes well enough in flashback talk or conversation to get you caught up. Why stress about reading catch up books when all you want to read is Doomsday Clock? Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2017, 02:05:11 AM »

Issue 987

Jumped straight to this and I'm pretty disappointed in the reveal.  Is it a fake out?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2017, 09:25:01 AM »

Probably.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 12:24:41 AM »

Issue 987

Jumped straight to this and I'm pretty disappointed in the reveal.  Is it a fake out?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angry Angry Angry Angry Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2017, 04:19:23 PM »

This post will be edited, as I come up with ways to say things I want in review.

But according to Dan Jurgens, and with talks to Johns, this is the real deal. Not a fake out.

...grr....you can't go back from this...

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2017, 05:03:22 PM »

This post will be edited, as I come up with ways to say things I want in review.

But according to Dan Jurgens, and with talks to Johns, this is the real deal. Not a fake out.

...grr....you can't go back from this...

Yeah or forward for me.  I'm not picking up the rest of this.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2017, 02:16:16 PM »

Man, I am now very conflicted ... For one thing I see Supes is teaming up with Booster Gold soon for a few issues (#994 and #995 ... at least) and they are trying to find out if Oz's identity is actually his identity. I would like to read that. HOWEVER , I also see that the art will be done by Brett Booth, or at least he is co-credited with art duties.
 Roll Eyes

Maybe it's only a page or two or maybe it is time to jump back on Titans?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2017, 02:24:25 PM »

Maybe it's only a page or two or maybe it is time to jump back on Titans?

Not if the solicits I've seen for that thing are true.   Angry

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2017, 12:40:33 AM »

On the Mr. Oz revelation:

You can't go back from this. This is integral to the Superman mythos. A father so loved his son, that he sent him away to a planet where he would get wonderful new powers. Now, that very man, after 85 years, is a <villain>?

I don't like this at all. At first blush. I won't scream it to the heavens that this is wrong and awful before I've read it. that's wrong and poor of me to do so.

But they have to write this amazingly so. Better than any other Superman story over the last decade. It used to be that Uncle Ben, Bucky, and the Waynes stayed dead. Well, they brought Bucky back...but they made us believe it. Really did. I don't think it needed to be said that Krypton and the Els should also always stay dead.

There is the angle to this that I'm...I'm tired of the Superman villains always rising from his own..blood and family. Eradicator, Cyborg Superman (Okay, yes I do like them, but, again, do they ALWAYS have to come from the House of El?), the other Cyborg Superman who is his uncle. The inclusion of Blanque was actually a really cool and deadly villain that I think I could fit into Superman stories again and again. Same with Manchester Black.

I had a better argument for this, but I"m tired. I've lost it.

I'm reading it. But I'm more than worried, and a bit sure, that this will be disappointing.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2018, 07:19:23 PM »

So I must have hit the wrong thread when they next to each other, but here is what I TRIED to post in this thread.
 Cheesy

Action Comics #1000

What a spectacular event. A comic that has been published for 80 years (essentially).

My thoughts on this book will be ... a lot different than most. There is a lot of love (deserving) in here, but a most the stories, and there are a lot, tend to be the kind of stories that made me not like Supes in the first place. There is a, and I hate to use this term as it has been overused so many times, but there is a Boy Scout aspect here that I just don't overly enjoy.

Now that makes this the perfect issue for the character. It celebrates the core of this iconic character to the utmost and makes Superman fans or even comic fans such as myself, really appreciate this character. No, I didn't love the stories here, but man I did respect the love that went into them.

This book is worth the money. Period

You get 10 short Superman stories (which I will try not to spoil, but still read only if you don't care -
1 - Jurgens doing a story where all the DC characters a planning a celebration of Supes
2 - Tomasi/Gleason doing a great history/time story
3 - Wolfman/Curt Swan doing a hostage story (which the ink made Swans not look like Swan  Angry)
4 - Levitz/Neal Adams with a story about chess ... that I did not like at all
5 - Johns-Donner/Coipel with a great homage to the first Action cover  Cheesy Liked this, except the ending
6 - Snyder/Albuquerque and a young Clark and young Lex story that should have hit, but not for me
7 - King/Mann with my favorite story with Supes and the cemetery where Martha and Jon (their name changed in #158  Wink
8 - Simonson/Ordway and CLark's 5 minute deadline for Perry
9 - Dini/Garcia-Lopez with my 2nd favorite story featuring an alien we all know
10- Meltzer/Cassady and a too long short story about a bullet
11 - Bendis/Lee - Whoah boy, Bendis is here. Undecided Okay, in all fairness all these other stories where done in one while this one is more of a sneak peak or just the intro to what Bendis has planned. And they didn't do him any help putting this story in the back, after all those other ones, but I was less than thrilled by what I read. This new villain, whose design I hate, may end up being "cool" or worthy, but not here. Not yet. I did like the addition of another Super and hope that remains the case, but ... no ... I am not going to pass judgement yet. Maybe it is better I wasn't blown away by the first glance of Bendis with Supes. Nowhere to go but up now and hey, if this IS what will be the new Superman stuff, I can save some time by reading more of the stuff I need to catch up on
 Grin

In closing, while this isn't a book I would usually praise, I think everyone should have a copy of this book. It is worth the price if you are even slightly a fan of Superman and if you are not ... this caped dude deserves some respect, so buy this book
 Grin  

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2018, 08:53:03 PM »

I got it digitally and also ordered a hard copy to be deliverd.  I agree it's one every collector will want in his collection.

I still need to read it though.   Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2018, 06:36:51 PM »

In randomness, i am only missing 81 issues between 587 and 1000.

That's not saying all that is gold (the 41 issue gap came with electrical Superman blue, and then blue and red as well.)

Just saying; he's my guy. Wink

I'm almost done with 1000 too! Super hard to read 80 pages in a row with small children around!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2018, 09:53:48 PM »

That is cool, Jimmy. I think you should still try and fill the gap, regardless. Especially hitting up $1 bins or whatnot. I think that would be a good, inexpensive way to celebrate your love for the guy.
 Smiley

I will eventually start my FF buying again. I need to get a list of all the issues I need to fill. Well, not gonna fill the first 20 or so, for sure, unless I can get a couple issues that are missing their covers or something  Grin, but I would still like to finish the Bronze Age stuff. Get a nice 1970-1985 or so complete.

...  Super hard to read 80 pages in a row with small children around!

Just wait until you get to that last story. Hahaha, You think it is hard now?
 Cheesy Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2018, 02:40:11 AM »

I've thought that too, Perry. At a buck an issue, or cheaper sometimes, what's the hurt of getting those issues? Nothing really, because now it's just about the hunt of getting them found!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2018, 03:32:17 AM »

My boy, Superman!! Love the love for the Last Son. Here's hoping Bendis can deliver even a little.

1 - Dan Jurgens has had nothing but love from me for years and years and years. I was so happy to see him get yet another chance to write Superman again, and to see him be shown so much respect and love for his most recent work.
2 - Tomasi/Gleason did an AWESOME story, going through a multiverse of time with Superman. What a cool story of vignettes. Loved each page
3 - Wolfman/Curt Swan doing a hostage story; just very happy to see the Swan included! That last page, Perry, was a pin up dug out from some vault from many, many years ago.
4 - Levitz/Neal Adams -not very powerful, or hitting, I thought.
5 - Johns-Donner/Coipel with a great homage to the car-loved the story. Great Coipel art with the original design of the suit.
6 - Snyder/Albuquerque and a young Clark and young Lex story that I also didn't find very good.
7 - King/Mann -a sweet story of the end of the world. Very sweet.
8 - Simonson/Ordway and CLark's 5 minute deadline for Perry-Worth the price of admission for Ordway art!! I still so love his art. Man, I could go back and reread all his stuff from COIE on again!!
9 - Dini/Garcia-Lopez -yeah, Jose Garcia Lopez on art!! A greatly fun bit! Glad to include this master!!
10- Meltzer/Cassady-I actually quite liked this story. Cassady on art doesn't hurt. I love me some crazy super power explanations, and well, I can just imagine Clark smiling his way through the ending narration as well.

11 - Bendis/Lee - So, there's a part where I want to hugely judge right away. Tired tropes of writing Superman that I'm bored with:

-an extremely powerful figure utterly whips the crap outta Supes to establish his Bad Assedness Authority
-Big Bad knows all about Supes, and Superman cannot utterly lay a hand on him

& worst of all (and limited to Superman)

-the origin WE THOUGHT WE KNEW IS ALL WRONG.

Please. This is where I judge. This is where I get bored of reading comics. Instead of going forward, moving forward, establishing new ground, the past is retread, retrod, trod over, and trampled underneath this kind of storytelling. I read Bendis' interview where he was sorry about Avengers Dissassembled, where he knew he came in all 'bwahaha, running all over Avengers and just bringing it down into the dirt and bring it back up where I want.' He didn't care for the fans and the love they had with everything going up to that point.
He realizes he was mistaken in how he did it, and doesn't want to repeat it. With Superman meaning so much to so many for so long, he knows he cannot simply break down whatever he wants.

However,....I am not very pleased with this right away. Bendis has no rope to hang himself with me. He's in a position where he's continually trying to dig himself out of the grave where I keep throwing dirt on him.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS