HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 11:04:47 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ACTION COMICS - REBIRTH  (Read 34527 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 04:36:53 PM »

Action Comics #964

Just have to say it, just like Detective Comics is more enjoyable than Batman, Action Comics is more enjoyable than Superman. The old school is currently ruling the two DC powerhouse's main titles. But while Detective is doing so by being a good Batman Family book, and not necessarily a "Batman" book, Action Comics is taking the same Superman and giving us better stories.

Even with the dreded "Doomsday" as the main villain opening arc (which wasn't as bad as I had feared, in all honesty), Action Comics is just much more intriguing, much more mysterious, much more fun. Maybe that is why it has constantly been higher than Superman in my Rebirth rankings.
 Grin

Last issue is no exception. There is actually very little story here. Almost seems like a Bendis written book they way this one is stretched out  Cheesy but this issue did have purpose and even though there wasn't a lot going on, we get some things settled, like Clark Kent ... for now  Cheesy, and we also get a bit of "wait, wha...?" near the end. And also,
I mean come on, a couple panels dedicated to showing us that the Superman beep watch is play?
Oh yeah!!!
 Grin

Yep, I think if you are gonna pick one "Super" book ... well, you need to make it Super-Woman actually  Cheesy But if you are gonna pick two, then make the second pick Action Comics. A comic even I enjoy!!!
 Wink

(One caveat, last issues Superman, issue #7, was enjoyable as a change of pace, artist fill-in, issue concentrating on the family side of Superman)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 05:33:09 PM »

Action Comics #965

The fascinating thing about this book is not that I am enjoying a Superman based title every two weeks. It is that I look forward to reading this Superman based title so much every two weeks and am kinda saddened when I realized it is not a week it comes out.
 Grin

A very Lois centered issue, nothing wrong with that, as we try to find more and more about the mystery of Clark Kent and she tries to decipher the mysterious code she was sent. Lois turns detective. Yep, me likey.

8 outta 10 Passwords that should contain a number, a symbol, a capital let ...
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 12:58:16 AM »

Through 965:

I'm glad Perry keeps saying the words I want to say, but don't have the articulation to do so right now.

Action is about the 'old guard' Superman, written by old guardian Dan Jurgens...and I'm loving it too!

This guy just feels more like Superman than that Nuguy ever did. Sorry Nudude, but I just didn't always care for a young Superman learning his way and going out as a young fighting buck on the town. Oh, Greg Pak did get the correct spirit of the character in his run, but it still wasn't my Man of Steel.

This guy is.

and suprisingly, I like the aspect of him being married with a kid. it's working (right now). and maybe it always will after this point. I don't know, but for now, it's a good thing!!!

Been some decent art through this, and man, the mystery angle plays are working, and I'm enjoying the slow roll of it here (because, you know, twice monthly Wink )

I think, like Superman, these two books are solid for me now as they focus a bit on the family and personal side of life with Supes, and then go to tell a big story. It's the formula I'm loving.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 01:17:23 PM »

Action Comics #966

I'm somewhat torn on this issue.

First of all the art (by Stephen Segovia ... don't know him) wasn't the greatest. It wasn't horrible, but wasn't the best either. Lots of panels with no backgrounds, which is fine if you are going to spend a lot of time on the art, which isn't evident here, so yeah, sort of middle of the road.

As for the story, other than addressing what that code that Lois had was, it is sorta like just a recap of the last few issues of all the Superman titles, barely moving forward at all.

The saving grace? Two (new) villains that I have never seen making their entrance. Okay, you got me, waiting on next issue.

If it wasn't for that, the points would be lower. Even still, they are not that high.

6 outta 10 last page saves
 Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 02:49:36 AM »

I'm glad they're paying the proper lipservice on how to integrate the orignial Lois and Clark back into this world-so that one day it can all be swept under the carpet and forgotten entirely. Wink

And I'm okay with that. At some point, they won't be foreigners to this world, but mostly just the same original people. However...Clark did go from a world where his parents were alive, to one where they are dead. I'd like to see that addressed somewhere. At some point, I'm sure it will all just be further mushed together and made right. Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2016, 02:55:16 PM »

Action Comics issues #967 and #968

First off I am not a fan of the art. There is nothing I can put my finger on, but Tyler Kirkham is just not for me. It is fine really and most people will not only be fine with it but may really like it and I get that, but it just doesn't work for my eyes.

The story is okay, I guess. I am just kinda tired of "damaged future" type stories. Between DC's use and Marvel's recent use (in which Superman takes a unintended jab at Marvel for  Cheesy) I am ready to move on from this type of story.

Still, it is okay and has me looking forward to the conclusion ... and not just because it will be the end, but I am honestly interested in it
 Grin

They do set up a story a little bit with Kent³ (The third Kent that has no powers ... or Kent cubed  Cheesy) and Jon, so that may be something very interesting too, down the line.

6 outta 10 - gloomy futures
 Undecided

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2016, 03:02:08 PM »

Wow.  What happened? This was one of your top comics and now it sounds like your ready to drop!   Cool

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2016, 03:04:53 PM »

No, no, not ready to drop (though I don't think it was ever a "top" book for me, but now I have to go see....
BRB
 Cheesy

EDIT - Okay, wow, it did start at #5 (that is shocking  Grin) but then dropped to #7 on my last edition. I would say that trend continues as I would probably, off my head, drop it another one or two spots.

Still not as bad as a drop yet. My "6" grade is still higher than the average "5" grade, so I still like it, just wasn't wowed by the last couple issue's art or theme.
 Smiley
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:08:16 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 03:16:14 AM »

I think I just read issue 969, and Patrick Zircher is back on art, and me likey! Me likey much!!

This Godslayer must have trained at the same Academy as the Godkiller from Thor's prior run. They hate people with ultimate power so much!! Wink

I do like how this issue did a good little bit of tying things back together with an element from 4 issues ago. Helps to explain more,now, and is a good bit of narrative to make things more cohesive. Kudos.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 01:45:35 AM »

NO discussion here since January? WHAT?! Wink

That said, with 984, and this Revenge arc, I love the 90s feel to this. The Superman Revenge squad, so many of his most powerful enemies, good looking ones too!-I just have fun reading the book.

I know it's not for everyone, but it just sits right for me.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 10:01:54 AM »

NO discussion here since January? WHAT?! Wink

Smiley
Right?

But ... as I dropped it a few months back and couldn't say how it is going now, man am I glad you are getting some good Supe stories, buddy!
 Cool

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 02:00:42 AM »

A good call back to the Machinist (even if I hated that Romita drawn story), but I'm glad it's not an element to be forgotten in this new lore. Always just love watching Lex and Supes have to team up. I almost like it more when Lex does show up Superman to prove the Man of Steel wrong about what he thinks-even though Superman is kind of right though too!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 12:22:13 PM »

I need to get caught up on this before the big Doomsday Clock storyline starts.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2017, 08:01:13 PM »

So the last issue I read was 972.  And I went ahead and dropped the title for cost reasons.

Now, of course, I'm all interested in this Mr. Oz arc that started in 988 which will lead up to his identity reveal.

So my question is - should I pick back up at 973 and get caught up?  or should I just start at 988 and read forward through this arc?  I will likely stop again afterwards but who knows.  I'm fickle.

EDIT - oh yeah - I'll pick up Doomsday Clock as well.  Aaargh!  Decisions!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2017, 08:47:23 PM »

I stopped reading this as I wasn't enjoying it. I can find out who is who later.
 Grin
But I do plan on reading Doomsday Clock

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS