HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:36:40 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ACTION COMICS - REBIRTH  (Read 34512 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 10, 2016, 03:08:26 AM »

Yes, I know there is already an "Action Comics" thread below, but as this is essentially DC Rebirth time, I wanted a fresh thread.
 Grin

Loved what I saw ... even though I am confused as hell as to what the hell I did see.

I tried to read that Superman #52 (that we were suppose to read before Rebirth) but as that was part 8 of a run, I truly only skimmed through it so that may be why I am not sure what is going on. I also haven't read Superman, other than Batman/Superman in awhile, so that may put me even further behind the eight ball, but ... yeah. I'm kinda lost.

Possible Spoilers about all things Superman below, including this issue !!!!

WARNING !!!!

So which Superman is dead? The new 52 Superman? And how did Superman get a kid? And is this pre-52 Superman we have now, with Lois and the kid? And if so how is there a Clark also running around?

Okay, if I can get those answered by Jimmy, our resident Super-Man king, I may like this even more than I did, but I did really like this. Even if I didn't know why.
 Cheesy

Think I may keep this one on the read list for awhile. This may be good

7 outta 10 comics that could easily have been scored an 8 had I known what the hell I was reading
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:11:17 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 03:13:11 AM »

The New 52 Superman is the one who died. His powerless nature was cured by some weird super science of Kryptonite with Vandal Savage machnery. But, he still got Green-K poisoning and died.

The Superman in there is from Convergence-he's "my" Superman from a Pre New 52 world where Lois and Clark's relationship got further ahead (that we didn't get to see) and they had a baby in Convergance land. When that mega arc ended, various characters got shunted to different arenas or worlds. Hence why Parallax Hal is running around too! This Clark and Lois went to New 52 earth, which took the place of theirs, and tried to live on in ignominy, but FAther Superman was eventually drawn out.

As to WHO this Clark Kent is....that is the mystery! Read issue 2 and more, I guess!! Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 05:06:36 AM »

Okay, thanks for all that. It sure helps as I darn sure couldn't read Convergence so I missed all that went on there.

Cool, okay, yeah, I like it
(not liking the Super-son thing as I would rather he be from a different world as well instead of having the true Superman kicking out a kid, but isn't a deal breaker)
Thanks again
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 02:28:19 PM »

Well, it's not really a spoiler anymore; there's been a Lois and Clark 8 issue mini series with the son there, so I think we can discuss. Wink

That said, this is a weird moment of growing up with the comics.

I, obviously, love Superman.

I grew up to watch him marry Lois after dying. This was after reading my mom's Superman comics from the 50s/60s.

So, now that I'm married, and I have a son,...I have no problem with Superman having a kid. It's weird, and to me, that doesn't age him, it makes him more....amazing, I guess. (didnt' want to say 'super' :p )

Now, I'm not saying that this is the right thing for everyone, or the best thing, but if Superman is a devoted husband, loving father, and the greatest hero out there, does that make him any different (in writing) than an officer going out on duty, a firefighter responding to a call, or a marine on tour?

Those seem to be the greatest heroes there.

Just call it a different life perspective now.

and yes, I know the problem children in comics can bring.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 07:19:40 PM »

Oh for sure. And I don't want my ... "I don't like Superman having kids" thought go further into a declaration that I don't want my heroes being married or having families (while married or not), and you should enjoy Superman having a kid if that is what your vision or history of him gleans (not quite the precise word I want to use, but you get me, right?  Wink), but at the same time, to me, it just doesn't fit. I am not sure why it doesn't. Maybe it is the kids of heroes thing, maybe? Would I care if Peter had a kid (in this universe  Wink), yeah, maybe I would.

Looking further into this now (I mean when you are typing is the best time to go in deep thought about something,. right?  Cheesy), maybe I don't want my heroes, any of them, to have kids. There is something about settling into a life of peace and tranquility that suits a child and his well being and the super hero life doesn't promote that at all. Having a dad (or mom) that goes out and fights super-villains and cosmic deities that make even the most dangerous of jobs seem calm, is not what I think of as giving a child a safe, calm environment to grow. I mean yes, your mom the policeman  could get killed by a criminal, but that is still a tad different than having Doomsday or Kraven hunting you.

Now having the kid be "powered" ... that makes the idea a little easier for me (the child is not as dependent on the care of others in that case) but I don't know. I have to think more on this is guess. I don't mind the marriage or the dating of supers. It is two adults, they can make the choice to live in danger, but for a child to be placed in that ... Yeah, even if Superman is your dad I'm not a fan.

But again, I like Damien, so ... I don't know
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 08:18:11 PM »

But again, I like Damien, so ... I don't know
 Cheesy

I think it depends on how they write the kids.  I like Damien as well.  But I hated what they did to Wally West's kids.  I imagine they won't be around for Rebirth and I'm glad. 

I'm ok with Superman having a kid and would like to see how those stories play out.  I think it fits since he's married to Lois and it fits his boy scout persona.  I'd like to see how he deals with things as a father and hope he channels Johnathon Kent.  If his kid has superman like powers it would be interesting to see him raise that kid.  Now if they go down that tired old rabbit hole of making the kid evil - I would hate it.  Slippery slope here I would say.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 09:03:25 PM »

I agree with both of you guys, Jeff ... even though I am on the opposite side of the thought process and don't agree with you.

Nope, that doesn't make sense at all does it.
 Cheesy Cheesy

I guys I mean to say that I get the reasoning behind WHY you guys like the idea, even if I don't like it ... I can see the reasoning.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 12:59:05 PM »

Action Comics has me...SUPER-excited! I really liked the first issue out, kicking things off in a big, fast way (I think the ending is obviously set up by Luthor to cement his hero-ship), and I like, for the first time in what seems like a long time, a Superman taking charge of everything (even if he did in a hot headed way!)

I hope with Jon that they don't do any typical trope tv/comic thing-go evil, make it so he doesn't listen to his parents, flies off the handle. I mean, c'mon, there are so many good children who listen to their parents and are well-behaved; but they still just make mistakes or have accidents because they don't know better. I'd rather see a child written like that.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 04:15:23 PM »

Amen !!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 03:01:58 PM »

First of all, thinking that maybe Jeff should move this to the team thread as well (like Detective) as it appears to not just be Luthor, but a Luthor and Superman book? Maybe?

Issue #958 (slight spoilers ... maybe?)

The issue was fine, still ramping up the mystery of that Clark Kent guy, but I just have to ask ... Is Doomsday and Luthor (and maybe not even Luthor now) the only foe(s) Superman has anymore? Every damn time I turn around it is Superman vs Zod (thank God he isn't here ... yet?) or Superman vs Doomsday. I am tired of this damn alien. I never liked him to begin with, even as a non-fan of Superman, but now that I am trying, actually trying to read Superman and all his glory, I have to go through yet another freaking Doomsday fight!!!! Again?

Where's Metallo
Where's Parasite
Where's Toyman
Where's Banshee - I absolutely love the looks of that character. LOVE IT. Though the last time I saw her she was in Gail Simone's Secret Six ... yeah, I may be behind. But maybe she has not shown up yet? I do sometimes forget that this is a new universe so some characters may still yet to be introduced.

Anyway, the book was fine, nothing great but nothing egregious (other than Doomsday). Just an average book with some great art that pushes past the 5 mark. Plus, I am enjoying the tease about this Kent guy so it gets another point for that.

7 outta 10 times we would see Doomsday as the villain if DC had six titles of Superman
 Undecided
 Angry

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 11:36:31 PM »

Should I be getting this?  I really hate Doomsday.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 01:43:21 AM »

Should I be getting this?  I really hate Doomsday.

Well that's a toughie. Your asking a non-Superman fan who is trying to get into Superman who is also not a fan of Doomsday.  Grin

The only thing I am really intrigued about is a spoiler, so be careful, but ...
In this comic we have Superman (the original from our pre-Nu52 universe), Luthor, suddenly trying to be Superman and then a Clark Kent. A Clark Kent that has no powers ... or at least thinks he has no powers. Even Jimmy, who I guess knows that Clark is (or was before he died) Superman, keeps asking him to change into the Man of Steel and help fight Doomsday and this Clark is just saying "What the hell are you talking about? I can't fly"

That has me a little curious to say the least, but other than that ... ?? Well the art is clean, decent.  Grin

As this is Action Comics and thus has a certain character at its core, I am just not the one to answer the question you ask, sadly. Maybe Jimmy can say.
No pressure, Jimbo
 Wink Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 03:16:26 PM »

Nope, this is currently new to me, as well, so I'm glad for a mystery to follow!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 09:04:09 PM »

Well cool. I like it is a mystery all around.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 12:34:51 PM »

Action Comics issue #962

One of the great things I saw in the first couple pages of this issue was the title of this issue had the word "conclusion" in it.
No more Doomsday!!!
Cheesy

This was a great issue for fight fans. Lots of POWS and BAMS and I normally don't get into thos kinds of issues, but it was actually pretty fun, if I am honest. Plus, at the end of the fight, we get a nice little surprise ending that is gonna come back to bite later on.

Pretty fun for this non-Superman fan.

7 outta 10 - Bone injections
 Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS