HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:59:29 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader June 8, 2016  (Read 10171 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 07, 2016, 06:06:53 PM »

Okay, I think I may have to put those book I didn't get to last week back on the back-burner but we will see.

This week, I am going to try and get through -

Detective Comics 934
Action Comics 957 - Yes, gonna try it.
Rebirth: Aquaman #1
Rebirth: Flash #1
Rebirth: Wonder Woman #1
All New X-Men #10
Civil War #1 - from last week
Civil War - Gods of War #1
Civil War - Amazing Spider-Man #1
Empress #1
Empress #2
Empress #3
Poe Dameron #2
Poe Dameron #3
Renalto Jones the 1% #2
Injection #10

and maybe some older stuff (like what I missed from last week for example) or some more of the JLA/Avengers book ... maybe.
 Smiley
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 07:17:24 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 06:14:04 PM »

Empress #1
Empress #2
Empress #3

LOLOL.  I just added those to my Wish List yesterday.  We must have read the same preview.   Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 07:02:08 PM »

Empress #1
Empress #2
Empress #3

LOLOL.  I just added those to my Wish List yesterday.  We must have read the same preview.   Cheesy

LOL. Nope, I have the first two and just noticed #3 was releasing this week so I figured now was the time to try. But wow.  Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 02:39:55 AM »

Here's what I'm planning to read this week:

TRADES
Imperium Vol 1 Collecting Monsters
Birthright Vol 3 Allies & Enemies

Marvel Unlimited - wrapping up Dec 2014
Spider-Woman 1
Angela 1
Iron Fist the Living Weapon7
Thor 3
All New X-Men 34
Avengers Now!
Spider-Woman 2
All New Invaders 13
All New X-Men Annual 1
Cyclops 8
Magneto 13
Angela 2

Comixology
Aquaman Rebirth 1
Detective Comics  934
Flash Rebirth 1
Wonder Woman Rebirth 1
Midnighter 10
Earth 2 Society 10
ROM FCBD 1
Micronauts 1

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 03:21:43 AM »

Unlimited:

Ending Secret Wars tie-ins for me:
1875 #4 -finished it! Kinda fun. I liked reading it.
A-Force #5-blah. Felt nothing.
Old Man Logan 4 & 5- issue 4 was just fight panels.  at least issue 5 mostly redeemed it.
Thors 4 - I like Thor(s) Wink

And then:

Captain America: Sam Wilson #1. WHOA. They went and let themselves get a little political in a book by Marvel? Who'da thunk it?!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 10:19:34 AM »

And then:

Captain America: Sam Wilson #1. WHOA. They went and let themselves get a little political in a book by Marvel? Who'da thunk it?!!

Yeah, even my ... let's just say somewhat Liberal side was squirming in my chair when I read that. Just felt ... uncomfortable. Very biased. Also true, but bias.
 Cheesy
I kid, I kid.
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 10:55:24 PM »

And then:

Yeah, even my ... let's just say somewhat Liberal side was squirming in my chair when I read that. Just felt ... uncomfortable. Very biased. Also true, but bias.
 Cheesy
I kid, I kid.
 Grin

I'm curious how that affects sales.  Will they go up, go down, no affect?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 11:40:39 PM »

Stayed home sick today so I got some reading done between sleeping.

TRADES
Imperium Vol 1 Collecting Monsters
Birthright Vol 3 Allies & Enemies

Marvel Unlimited - wrapping up Dec 2014
Spider-Woman 1
Angela 1
Iron Fist the Living Weapon7
Thor 3
All New X-Men 34
Avengers Now!
Spider-Woman 2
All New Invaders 13
All New X-Men Annual 1
Cyclops 8
Magneto 13
Angela 2

Comixology
Aquaman Rebirth 1
Detective Comics  934
Flash Rebirth 1
Wonder Woman Rebirth 1
Midnighter 10
Earth 2 Society 10
ROM FCBD 1

Micronauts 1

ROM:  I couldn't get past the bad art in this book.  Maybe a real issue one would have a better story but if it's the same art, pass.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 01:09:21 AM »

Well, off to a good start if you call reading books you didn't have on the list as a good start.
 Cheesy

Got through -
Karnak #1 (Reread)
Karnak #2
Karnak #3
Karnak #4
Dark Souls #2
Black Road #2
Dept.H #2

Now gonna try and start more of the books I should have been reading

Detective Comics 934
Action Comics 957 - Yes, gonna try it.

All New X-Men #10
Civil War - Amazing Spider-Man #1
Empress #1
Empress #2
Empress #3
Poe Dameron #2
Poe Dameron #3
Renalto Jones the 1% #2
Injection #10
 Undecided
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:44:16 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 02:55:25 AM »

Stars Wars #10-12 (toldja' I was backed up!). Good stuff. Fun stuff. Great reading in the vein of Star Wars. Also, I"ll say it out loud first here, as it is something I have thought for a while, but I am adding STUART IMMONEN to my list of all time favorite artists. He's drawn in so many different styles, and so seemingly different from each other, but his storytelling, timeliness, and presented work have always impressed and amazed me. Love his work anywhere.

Darth Vader #10-12. More decently good stuff! I still don't quite care for Aphra being a chatterbox around Vader. His presence should shut her right up! Ya know? Wink  And Sal Larocca...I used to LOVE your style to death. At least, your Marvel days style. Less ink, more line work seemingly bereft of inking or line weight...makes things flat and plain to me. Oh well.

VADER DOWN:
Vader Down 1, Darth Vader 13, Star Wars 13; really enjoying this! Love to see Vader cut loose and truly be Vader!! And evil, and slaughtering, and all that! Again, talked about it a while ago, but man, just because Luke redeems his soul in 'Return' that doesn't mean that he can be forgiven of his crimes-fun crossover!!

Captain America Sam Wilson 2 & 3: I like, but what I don't like is seeing how much of a stooge Steve Rogers is for quote/unquote "Big Government." There's a bit of a mix of Brubaker/Gruenwald there (75%Bru, though), but way too much Maria Hill in him now. I don't like that kind of Steve. Seems all kinds of wrong. But I liked Sam's voice more here. Be a Cap to Americans, not to the US of A.

The Mighty Thor #1 (this is what, the 3rd time Mighty Thor #1 has hit stands in what, like, 3 years? Sheesh, if I wasn't collecting all the trades during this time, I'd wonder if I was buying the right ones!!!)) But yeah, I love where Aaron's epic has been, and where it's going with Thor. Consistently really, really good!!! And Russell Dauterman's art is something very different from the usual mainstream stuff, but man, I loves it!!
(*randomly, because I don't remember, does anyone know what Thor found out, or what was said to him at the end of Original Sin to make him doubt and be unworthy of Mjolnir? I, for the life of me, can't remember if that ever came out!)

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 03:14:04 PM »

Invincible Iron Man (by BENDIS) #1-4 (I'll go post in the Iron Man thread on this one. Wink )

EDIT:

And New Avengers 1-3 by Al Ewing and Sandoval. Sandoval, while being the American Anime sort, like he's aping Joe Maduirea's art, is just chunky and blocky looking. No energy, or movement to it, is how I read it. And so much spiky hair!!  Written story isn't bad; I'm glad to see Roberto continuing with AIM; I loved that' avenue!! Not super impressed, especially with this "team." I'm sorry, but Squirrel Girl on this team? this makes every non Cap-Iron Man-Thor Avengers team in the 80s look like utter rock stars. C'mon Marvel.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:43:08 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 03:02:59 AM »

Lando 1-5 (!!! Grin !!!)

Daredevil #1-definitely like the writing, and I always love Ron Garney...but he needs tighter inking in this book, and I don't care for the coloring/LACK of coloring to set this book apart. And another ID reveal becomes undone because they need it to be so.  Roll Eyes

Astonishing Ant-Man #1 Nick Spencer continues to make himself a guy who I continually want to read. A definite win, this book!! Just continues where his last work left off!!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 03:26:46 AM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 01:02:54 PM »

Lando 1-5 (!!! Grin !!!)

I will also discuss this below, in the Star Wars thread

Daredevil #1 ... and I don't care for the coloring/LACK of coloring to set this book apart. And another ID reveal becomes undone because they need it to be so.  Roll Eyes

First of all that coloring ... I totally disagree with you on. This book looks amazing due to that one main point. Yes it is simplistic as hell, but those tones, the limited use of red ... 'That shit be working, Cuzz'.
 Grin

As for the ID, yep, a happenstance of the 8th incarnation of its Universal Cycle in which the Ultimates have noticed in their early issues Wink Galan, from the 6th incarnation was turned into Galactus at the seventh and just wait until you see the new condition of Galactus (thanks to the Ultimates team). Also and currently, what has happened to the being known as Eternity? To find out, check your MU for upcoming Ultimates issues.
 Cheesy
(Sorry, I love the cosmic scale of that book and had to once again plug the title)
 Grin

Astonishing Ant-Man #1 Nick Spencer continues to make himself a guy who I continually want to read. A definite win, this book!! Just continues where his last work left off!!

I just wish his Liberal stance, which I agree with (mostly) wasn't so damn overpowering in the Sam Wilson book. I'm about to drop it, honestly. I loved the older title, but this AN title is ... eh ... not hitting it for me.

But yes, luckily I have his Ant-Man and even Cap get my Spencer on.
(And speaking of Cap ... what a stupid ass outcry that whole thing was)  

Okay, as for my reading for this week. I got through -

EDITed -

Karnak #1
Karnak #2
Karnak #3
Karnak #4
Dark Souls #2
Black Road #2
Dept.H #2

Detective Comics 934
Action Comics 957

All New X-Men #10
Civil War - Amazing Spider-Man #1 - I hate the "FLASH'ing" of Spidey's suit. This blue light/aura around the spider.  Angry
Empress #1
Empress #2
Empress #3
- Done with this until the whole thing is completed and I hear the results. It is just "okay"
Poe Dameron #2
Poe Dameron #3
Renalto Jones the 1% #2
Injection #10

Think I may make it !!!
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 02:40:29 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 06:20:08 PM »

Daredevil #1 ... and I don't care for the coloring/LACK of coloring to set this book apart. And another ID reveal becomes undone because they need it to be so.  Roll Eyes

Quote from: Perry
First of all that coloring ... I totally disagree with you on. This book looks amazing due to that one main point. Yes it is simplistic as hell, but those tones, the limited use of red ... 'That shit be working, Cuzz'.
 Grin

I'll be honest, the washed out nature just didn't do anything for me. If you go back and look at the prior volume with Waid and Samnee, the color palette was muted, or 'simplistic' (insulting term;sorry! I don't mean it that way!) but it was blocked so well. I'd rather just see the pencils of this first issue instead of the washed out coloring then. Just my initial thoughts on it. Wink

As for the ID, yep, a happenstance of the 8th incarnation of its Universal Cycle in which the Ultimates have noticed in their early issues Wink Galan, from the 6th incarnation was turned into Galactus at the seventh and just wait until you see the new condition of Galactus (thanks to the Ultimates team). Also and currently, what has happened to the being known as Eternity? To find out, check your MU for upcoming Ultimates issues.
 Cheesy
(Sorry, I love the cosmic scale of that book and had to once again plug the title)
 Grin

I'll have to look at it. The 'Ultimates' titling just made me go 'nope!' Didn't read it before, and I won't now!

Quote from: Perry
I just wish his Liberal stance, which I agree with (mostly) wasn't so damn overpowering in the Sam Wilson book. I'm about to drop it, honestly. I loved the older title, but this AN title is ... eh ... not hitting it for me.

I don't think I care about the liberal nature of it; mind you, I've only read the 3 issues. Most of it seems to be Sam's voice, in response to his negative criticism. Perhaps if he watched MSNBC or followed  Huff Post or The Young Turks on facebook, it wouldn't seem so dour? Wink If anything, it's a little more interesting to me to see a character with a 'real world' view. Although, the hub-bub at the time about making the Sons of Serpents seem to be an analog for conservative groups was a lame overblown editorial by right wing media.

(And speaking of Cap ... what a stupid ass outcry that whole thing was)  

Agreed. I bet Nick Spencer was sitting at home going "What...the ...f#ck?" and staring at abject horror as a bunch of non comic reading assholes labeled him and Marvel as anti-semitic. REALLY, PEOPLE?! Anti-semitic? It's a comic! It's not permanent! Ever!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 11:58:26 PM »

I'll be honest, the washed out nature just didn't do anything for me. If you go back and look at the prior volume with Waid and Samnee, the color palette was muted, or 'simplistic' (insulting term;sorry! I don't mean it that way!) but it was blocked so well. I'd rather just see the pencils of this first issue instead of the washed out coloring then. Just my initial thoughts on it. Wink

Well I disagree,  again  Wink, But it is a narrow palette  Tongue And it looks gorgeous. There was, as you stated, also nothing wrong with Rodriguez's colors on Samnee's art, but it was a totally different tone. The brighter colors, even narrow in the limited amount as it was worked very well for that book, as the colors do here for this book with a return to a darker tone.  This is no longer the jovial title, and so they decide to border on black and white to show the tonal shift. I applaud it.

But hey, again, a matter of taste.  Grin

I'll have to look at it. The 'Ultimates' titling just made me go 'nope!' Didn't read it before, and I won't now!

So you literally judged a book by its cover  Grin

It isn't the best written book, but it is the highest concept book Marvel has currently. And I don't mean as in Morrison on LSD type of high concept, but on a cosmic scale  Cheesy. It is just really cool, the ideas it has. I enjoy it also for the absurdity  .. the length it is going to ... on a cosmic scale I mean
 Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS