HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:18:49 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SUPERMAN - REBIRTH  (Read 22869 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 02, 2016, 04:33:12 AM »

Not bad.  My interest is actually peeked enough to pick up Tomasi's first arc.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:11:56 PM by Perry » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 09:50:30 PM »

Superman #1

LOVED LOVED LOVED this issue.  Plain, simple but a great look at the new normal for Superman.  Clark as a father is going to be fun to read (maybe even Perry will be interested).

My favorite panel...

And then I loved seeing....

Clark telling his boy to go to his room.  Man I know how that is with my own kid!

But the story itself sets up some interesting lessons as...
Jon starts learning about his powers.  And in a tragic, sad way.

Great characterization here and I hope it continues.  I'm adding this to my pull which I was not expecting.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 11:42:20 PM »

Superman #1

...  (maybe even Perry will be interested).

I would be, but I just can't deal with that Gleason face art. If DC couldn't keep me on Green Lantern Corps because of his art I don't think they will get me on Superman  Grin. Heck, if DC couldn't keep me on a Batman book because of Gleason's faces, I really doubt they could pull me into Superman.  Grin

I love every other aspect about his art, but those faces, especially those mouths  Undecided ... it is just not for me.

I may try again, but I think I have a better shot at being an "Action Comics" reader than a Superman one as long as Gleason is the penciler. I can't even picture what Lois will look like.
 Shocked
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 02:29:44 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 12:55:50 PM »

I've never had a problem with Gleason art. Hell, I even enjoy it! He's got such energy to his figures, like an expression of movement that he mirrors in the faces.

At least, that's what I liked 5 years ago (particularly in his Aquaman Sub Diego time). I never read BAtman and Robin, so I don't know how he's changed or altered.

But I think the Rebirth was off to a great start! I'm excited and hopeful for Superman again!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 04:13:54 PM »

His art, as far as presentation, action, storytelling, etc is fine. Its just those faces ... or mouth area more precisely. I may try Superman to see if I can get over it, but it has really killed a few titles for me already, so ...
 Embarrassed

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 05:33:35 PM »

I can see what you mean by the faces.  The eyes are too big for my taste, although I didn't really notice until you brought it up.   Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 10:15:46 PM »

I can see what you mean by the faces.  The eyes are too big for my taste, although I didn't really notice until you brought it up.   Cheesy

Yeah, sometimes (mostly I guess) his eyes are wacked out, but the most aggravating thing, and he doesn't do it all the time, is when the characters mouths just seem to go from ear to ear. Really disconcerting
 Grin

But, I went ahead and read this at one of the LCS around here (while trying to stop arguing with some young, Marvel fans/dip wads) and yeah, I liked it. I am not sure I like the coloring, people kept changing skin tone and that was really weird to me, but other than that, and of course the art (which honestly wasn't that harsh to my eyes this time) I really did like this book. I really liked the way Jonathan
blew his cat away!!
Cheesy Cheesy
Yeah! Take that, damn you!!! I know it was an accident and it was an important thing to happen to our young Jonathan, but man did I laugh
 Cheesy

And now, I am thinking I may go ahead and look into the "Super-Sons" title when it hits. At least check it out. I like Damien and this new kid ... he might have something.
 Smiley

7 outta 10 Asian Bar-B-Ques
 Wink
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

(Yes that is a bad racially, stereotypical joke, but damn I am tired of all this thin skin that's been going around for the past few years now. I treat people well and with plenty of respect for their race, religion, sex and sexual orientation and countless others things, but this lack of making jokes because someone will get "hurt" ... tired of it. TIRED OF IT!!! I am Italian/Irish, if you want to call me a WOP, joke me about potatoes or talk about greasy hair I swear I will not be offended. I will just laugh right with you. Whatever happened to that shit? Whatever happened to laughing? Holy crap how did I get on this road. I'm sorry for the rant, guys.  Cheesy Cheesy)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 01:04:37 AM »

And now, I am thinking I may go ahead and look into the "Super-Sons" title when it hits. At least check it out. I like Damien and this new kid ... he might have something.
 Smiley

Yes, I'm going to pick that up to.  It's got some interesting potential.

7 outta 10 Asian Bar-B-Ques
 Wink
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

(Yes that is a bad racially, stereotypical joke, but damn I am tired of all this thin skin that's been going around for the past few years now. I treat people well and with plenty of respect for their race, religion, sex and sexual orientation and countless others things, but this lack of making jokes because someone will get "hurt" ... tired of it. TIRED OF IT!!! I am Italian/Irish, if you want to call me a WOP, joke me about potatoes or talk about greasy hair I swear I will not be offended. I will just laugh right with you. Whatever happened to that shit? Whatever happened to laughing? Holy crap how did I get on this road. I'm sorry for the rant, guys.  Cheesy Cheesy)

Really? You had to explain it?  It was funny on its own.  Like my college roommate used to say to me; "Jeffro, F*ck 'em if they can't take a joke."   Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 02:47:51 PM »

Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 08:37:20 PM »

Still really really enjoyed issue #1! Keep it coming!!

And Gleason's art is just fine by me. Nothing bothers me about it, to be honest.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 09:10:39 PM »

And Gleason's art is just fine by me. Nothing bothers me about it, to be honest.

You lucky bastard !!  Grin Wink

I mean, I do enjoy his storytelling. He knows "how to draw", but those mouths and like Jeff says, the occasional big eyes ... big enough to make Manga characters envious, are just too distracting at times. This mouth man, look at THIS mouth
 Grin

But so far the writing is keeping me involved enough to look past the awkward panel here and there.
 Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 08:18:56 PM »

Superman #3

Still keeping my enjoyment level up, though I wish I had a further history of this issues ... guest star  Grin but I am just not familiar. Though that is all do to my past non-readership I had with Superman I am sure. I hope. Regardless, still another pretty good issue.

7 outta 10 ways to feel like it's the 90's again?  Wink

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 01:55:33 AM »

Superman 3 & 4

I love me Eradicator stories. What a great element brought in by Byrne and the original Crisis change. I love how that character changed and grew so much in prior volumes. I'm excited to see it back here, and I'm curious how it will grow and change.

That...absorption of Krypto was really weird....however, ...I'll just let it slide. Was Krypto changed into energy? Was mass converter into another form of matter? Whatever, I'll deal with it.

Young Jon...I'm still okay with. However, he's nearly at that point where I get angry with comic children wanting to jump into the fray. Just because he knows he has super powers, that doesn't change his child attitude that would normally present as fear with adults fighting. But, he's not there quite yet. And, when he does jump in, it's when he's supported by his parents to do so. And when they tell him to back off, he does that as well. So, at least that is still working.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 01:26:40 PM »

Issue #5

Dear lord, this Eradicator story is killing me. He
ate Superman?!?!?! WTF??? Absorbed his essence like Krypto?
Whatever you want to call it, how the hell did he do that?
UGH.

Loved the young Supes reaction, Lois' "fight" she had in her and of course, the
Lunar Batcave
 Grin, but I can't wait for this story to be over and this character gone. There is still good stuff here that would normally grade this an "A", but for me "E" stands for Eradicator

7 outta 10 chewable Tums!!!!
  Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 03:37:30 AM »

This Eradicator story almost lost me on this series.  But now that's over we can get back to the cool stuff that this series was starting to do.  At least I hope so!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS