HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:39:41 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GREEN ARROW - REBIRTH  (Read 10610 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 02, 2016, 01:23:50 AM »

Okay, this one I read and ... meh ... the art wasn't the best for me, not sure I like this Black Canary ... or this Ollie really and I am not digging the fact they referenced that damn "Island"  Wink, but what really got me is
the fact that Ollie called his facial hair, the same style I have, a Goatee. It is called a Van Dyke more often than not (or a "Circle" technically) A "Goatee" has no mustache.
Ollie would know that. BAH !!!

2 outta 10 facials

What? Oh, yeah, not facials.  Cheesy

Okay, in all seriousness I will give this another shot to pull me in next month, but yeah, not really feeling this as of now. Not bad but certainly not good, just ... off. But yes, I will give it another shot to improve or to pull me in.

Edit for actual score -
5 outta 10 - For being just an average comic.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:10:43 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 03:34:14 AM »

Agreed on facial hairing there, Perry. I've corrected many people when I style mine of either way.

I worry about the artist here, to be honest. Gonna miss Patrick Zircher.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 04:11:25 AM »

I wrote this over in the Top of the Stack thread before I saw this.  Amazing how we're all on similar pages here.

Finished Green Arrow Rebirth.  Yuck. This I did not like.  I'm still going to get the first issue just to make sure this wasn't a fluke but if it's not then I'm saving my money here.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 12:48:46 PM »

Agreed on facial hairing there, Perry. I've corrected many people when I style mine of either way.

I know!! Darn them!!!  Smiley

I worry about the artist here, to be honest. Gonna miss Patrick Zircher.

That would've certainly helped to have him here.

Amazing how we're all on similar pages here.

Yeah, it was ... yeah
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 01:09:09 PM »

I wont' write this series off for dead.

I wish I could convince you guys that Percy's writing on the year before was such a BETTER and DIFFERENT vibe than this.

Perhaps the memo was 'make an intro issue that will spell everything out for newcomers, and set your tone for the next year.'

Establish new costume and hero look? Check.

Define Ollie's motives and operations? Check.

Set up the relationship going forward with Dinah and Ollie? Check.

Explicitly write out the ethos of conundrums that are Mr. Queen and the Green Arrow? Check.

The art...very much in the vein of Sean Murphy (Joe the Barbarian, Punk Rockstar Jesus), only seems to ape the style without the flair or expressive dash. And ...Schmidt, I think his name, does his own coloring, and the palette is muted and colored in the same blah tones that I am leery of all presentation.

I truly hope the first issue of the regular series returns to where it was before this Rebirth issue. Seriously, I've really, REALLY liked reading all of Percy's stuff on the title before this!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »

I wish I could convince you guys that Percy's writing on the year before was such a BETTER and DIFFERENT vibe than this.

You can and did  Cool I believe ya, buddy.
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 05:27:32 PM »

You can and did  Cool I believe ya, buddy.
 Smiley

Oh I have no doubt it was. Maybe this new series will be better than the Rebirth issue?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 03:20:28 PM »

I am still loving the mystic and weird vibe that Percy is bringing. Magic! Monsters of the night! Love me that stuff, and with the mystic island and tribe stuff that Lemire brought, as well as these angles, it all seems to fit very nicely this Green Arrow.

However, I have to kvetch about the hamfisted plot that ALWAYS pops up again and again and again with rich playboy billionaire characters-the company is taken by the closest, inside man (always), and our rich man is again a poor, with nothing to his name slob. This part? I hate this part.  Lips sealed

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 09:05:59 PM »

That trope can be annoying, but glad you are still digging you some Ollie !!!!
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 01:43:28 AM »

I think the book is still doing quite well. This next artist has a painted and very near visual quality of Dan Bererton (if you know that name). It works really well with the 9th circle monster men. I enjoy! I've been getting lots of Ollie and Green Arrow action (just got Grell GA volume 5 that I need to read as well).

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 01:24:29 AM »

Still digging the issue up through #8. Ollie seems a bit of a younger man, not a 20something, but not a perceived 38 year old man either. But this guy? Percy is writing the guy who would definitely turn into the 38 year old guy we all loved for years.

Art is fast and quick by Schmidt, and I've grown on his style. Loose line work, very flowinig, and without heavy inks to weigh the page down. good use of having Diggle be an old friend and pissed off one at that at Ollie, so I really think the book is doing well by me!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 02:55:45 AM »

A bit goofy of an arc. Not silly, but I'm almost lost as to how this arc got to the point it has. It's like someone told Percy "hey, can you do this story set up this way instead? yeah, that'd be great...."

So, not quite loving what's happened over the last issue or so. From the great writing of Emi, and how her life has moved into the dilemma she currently lives with, what with her mother and the Yakuza, to weird eco-treehugger millionaire island scientists with secret subways? Too jarring.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 03:06:30 AM »

10 & 11 (I think)

Murder on the Empire Express storyline ends.

Rather pedestrian, considering the cool stuff Percy was doing before with Mexican blood gods, old magic werewolves, and secret cabals.

What I did like was the ease in which he wrote Dinah and Ollie together. It seemed so relaxed...and contentious at the same time, but that is their dynamic (or, at least for a long time it has been). They love each other, they drive each other crazy, they piss each other off as no others can-but they work together as a couple. Percy nails this. Makes me believe in the relationship.

Which is what makes me believe in the book.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 03:00:02 AM »

Think I'm the only one reading this book!! As I said elsewheres, the books' initial plot seems like soemthign I have seen before, but the ending has me interested.

At least Otto Schmidt is back on art again.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 05:30:57 PM »

Think I'm the only one reading this book!!

Cheesy

I think you might be, Jimbo.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS