HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:50:19 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WONDER WOMAN - REBIRTH  (Read 24282 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 02, 2016, 01:12:00 AM »

For next week!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:10:23 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 05:25:37 PM »

I liked it.  Rucka is gonna knock it home with Wonder Woman.  I liked the back and forth between old and new and the conflict it's playing out with Diana.  This is going be a fun journey to follow over the next few months if not longer.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 02:22:20 PM »

Agree. This is THE Rebirth book so far. From the very first page you get that "Now this is they way this book is suppose to sound" and it doesn't stop until the last page is turned. Damned glad Rucka is back to this title. Man, what a get.

Not much more to say here other than I liked the first part of of the books art better than the last half. But would have still enjoyed having just one artist instead of two ... regardless which one it was ... doing the entire thing.

8 outta 10 talking ropes
 Wink Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 03:40:48 AM »

Issue 1

Off to a good start!  One could say this issue is slow as its setting up the arc.  But the ending cliff hanger was fun.  Going to be weird having this story arc only in the odd numbered issues while a Year One story arc runs through the even numbered issues.  It's an interesting experiment which I'm interested in seeing how it goes.  I kind of like having it all contained in one title instead of multiple Wonder Woman books.  Keeping an open mind.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 01:57:44 PM »

Yeah, in that way, writing like that, it is like getting two Wonder Woman books a month ... written by Rucka, so ... yeah!!!
 Cheesy

I also enjoyed this set-up issue (another great example of why all the solo Rebirth #1's should have been a zero issue. I mean if you're gonna use the second issue, or first really, as the setup ...  Grin).

I was really impressed with the art here. Sort of a mix between Darick Robertson and Richard Corben. I could really see the styles of each on one page. I was worried about this artist, as the name didn't ring a bell for me, but I think this particualr story is in fine hands. I already knew Nicola Scott would be okay, but couldn't quite place this artist.

Of course, with Nicola doing Wonder Woman, and I just thought about this, I wonder what that will do to Rucka and Scott's Image book, the Black Magick series? I have to see if that was just a mini or is that on hold now. Sadly, I don't remember it being a mini, which means ... well, poo. If they are both on Wonder Woman now, the Outlook doesn't look great!!!
 Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 02:14:11 AM »

I Love Love LOVED this first issue!!

Diana as a creature of myth, whose truths can change based on who's telling the story is a great angle, and I can't wait to read this!! Thank you Greg Rucka! So glad DC sucked you off back, to write for DC again!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 08:36:14 PM »

Still really onboard this book after reading issue #1. Glad to see Rucka back, and man, Liam Sharpe looks amazing!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 12:49:45 AM »

Issue 2

Damn you Greg Rucka.  Damn you for making me love the retelling of an origin story.  Damn you...and bless you!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 11:13:02 AM »

As much of an ass that he is about his covers (having Cho fired and all for what seems like ... well ... nothing THAT bad and what did you expect when you hire Frank Cho??) he can certainly write this title.

The only bad thing I can say is that I think I am more excited about WW year one than I am about the regular story.
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 01:40:01 PM »

What happened with Frank Cho?  I hadn't heard that between him and Rucka.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 08:19:29 PM »

Rucka got him fired from doing the alternate WW covers, because ... well, no-one really knows for sure, but (Again, conjecture ... other than Cho's side of the argument where he says all this) ... Rucka got Cho fired because Rucka didn't like the way he was sexualizing WW.

HERE is more on it, and I just have to ask ... isn't that where her bikini suit line has always been? I mean, if they/Rucka is mad about showing panties ... I just don't know what to say.  Rucka and CHo don't get along from Cho's enjoyment of showing women in a way Rucka doesn't like, so I was shocked to find the two were even on the same book anyway.

Eh, I couldn't care less about variant covers usually anyway, so I have no dog in this fight ... other than to say I think Rucka was a dick here.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
But hey, he has control so it's his way. Can't fault that.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 02:48:10 AM »

Also, this is all Cho's talk here as well. Nothing from Rucka (unless that's a link to something I haven't seen yet).

Also, fuck Frank Cho. He's a mostly shitty guy, from continuing to throw that Magera Spider-woman pose at everyone he can, claim himself to be an "artiste", then get haughty when his lame ass pin ups of t'n'a get editorial direction.

HE says it's all Rucka. Rucka has proven himself as a fantastic talent.

Cho has proven that he can't do backgrounds, is only good a pin up shots, and he only has one woman form in his stable.

Fuck Frank Cho.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 01:55:46 PM »

YEAH !!!!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 04:08:39 PM »

Wonder Woman #3

Focusing on Cheetah with this issue, a character I never really liked (is she really a threat?), I found a little conection with the character here. Not a personal one, but a connection that made me understand the character a little more. I still feel she is weak as a threat, even though she seems to be able to handle Wonder Woman, but I grew to like her a little more. Heck, this issue was pretty emotional and that really opened up the character I think. The art, while I am not a huge fan overall (though it isn't "bad"), was perfect for facial expressions. I mean I felt Cheetahs pain when I looked at her. A fantastic job, there.

With issue #4 hitting next week, 8/10/2016, and it being concentrated on Diana's past, it is gonna feel like forever when we get back to this story. A very odd side effect of a bi-monthly title telling a monthly story. I may try and put this title on a hold for a few, to get a few more issues in the bank before I return. After reading books like Action, Superman, Batman, Detective, etc .. and getting very used to those stories being continued after only two weeks, this month long wait, a normal occurrence for almost every title in the Comic'verse, seems like forever!!!!!

Although it is gonna be hard to sit on a good book, a very good book in-fact, I may not be able to do it.
 Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 05:16:52 AM »

Issue #4

A great issue that finally puts Diana upfront. Almost seemed a tad rushed but we all know the battle competition story far too well anyway.
 Cheesy
I loved every page

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS