HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 06:45:19 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ACTION COMICS - REBIRTH  (Read 34441 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2018, 04:16:02 AM »

And in my opinion, that Jim Lee cover looks like crap. It's like someone ghost-drew a Lee cover but didn't have the chops. Hell, it's doesn't even look like the same figure drawing he did for the Bendis story.

And then that's the Action 1000 cover? I may go hunt down the variant i would want.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »

3 - Wolfman/Curt Swan doing a hostage story; just very happy to see the Swan included! That last page, Perry, was a pin up dug out from some vault from many, many years ago.

Oh, Okay. I had heard the entire thing was put together from unfinished Swan panels/pages that were done by him right before the end. "Lost pages" type of thing.

Either way I was saddened by the over inks or the way they chose to ink his stuff. Just barely looked like Swan. Of course if it was more towards/at the end, it is understandable, though still just as sad. (It was like looking at Perez's recent stuff  Cry)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2018, 11:37:53 AM »

Well I bet THIS will only strengthen Jommy's thoughts on Bendis' Superman books
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I ... I just don't know what to say about this. I hope it is not true, I mean ... really?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2018, 01:58:37 PM »

Ducking Bendis. Roll Eyes

She searches for the perfect mate in Batman... But then schleps down the ladder for a screw with a paperboy?

Lame.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2019, 03:04:55 AM »

Perry - I'm getting interested in Action Comics again for some reason.  Seems like something big is coming out of this storyline.  I stopped reading at #1004 so I've only really missed 4 issues of the Bendis run.

I know you like it.  So convince me to come back.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2019, 02:01:26 PM »

Hmmmm, well, that is a tough one as after seeing how poorly Superman ended up being, after a continual decline, I don't want to oversell Action.  Cheesy You also kinda know what you are getting as you have read almost as much as I have, I have yet to read the most current issue 1008, so I am only 3 issues ahead of you so I can't push too much more than you already know. As you are aware, the Superman title has more of an "action comics" feel to it, more of a bam/pow comic, in a way, while Action is more of Superman's version of Gotham Central, but inside a newspaper.

There are still Bendis'ism that some hate  Grin, but I don't usually mind most of those. I even enjoy the Bendis speak as I like the way it works the pacing/timing of panels, but hey I am not here to sell you on Bendis, like most, I feel you enjoy some of his stuff while some of it you don't.

I will say that I have enjoyed it even more over the last couple of issues because we are finding out more of the newest threat (the one you should know) and because the art is looking freaking amazing. I always talk about art matching the tone and Steve Epting is perfection here. I had said he is looking his best since his CrossGen Crux work, and I feel that is true, but then again, this also reminds me of the great work he did with Brubaker on Captain America. He is just a great "Street Level" type of artist (and that is the basic idea with Action now) that is works really well.

So yeah, there are things that make me roll my eyes ... like Jimmy Olsen's joke (I hope) about dating Talia, but there is also some good non-cape stuff here. Plus, we are getting ready to have a great confrontation between the DEO/CheckMate/Leviathan that I am eager to read about.

And even though Superman went to shit, I am still reading a Superman book. Me. It helps the book is not JUST about that guy, but still, I am reading a Superman book
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2019, 04:15:52 PM »

...but there is also some good non-cape stuff here. Plus, we are getting ready to have a great confrontation between the DEO/CheckMate/Leviathan that I am eager to read about.

Yes.  This is exactly what got me interested again.

I feel you enjoy some of his stuff while some of it you don't.

You are correct - love his Jessica Jones, Ultimate Spider-Man (both Parker and Morales), and even liked his New Avengers.  But Guardians of the Galaxy? ugh.  So he's hit or miss but mostly hit.

Epting on art is definately a plus.  He's good.

I think I'll pick it back up but I'm going to re-read 1001-1004 first just to make sure.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2019, 08:50:09 PM »

I think I'll pick it back up but I'm going to re-read 1001-1004 first just to make sure.

Oh absolutely, give them a read and then decide.  Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS