HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:31:15 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AQUAMAN - REBIRTH  (Read 29707 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 02, 2016, 01:10:53 AM »

I'll be back
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:11:36 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 07:12:38 PM »

Not bad but nothing memorable for me.  I'm starting to think we have to get the real #1's to know if we like these or not.  The Rebirth issues aren't much more than catch up issues,

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 02:58:28 AM »

I think this was the epitome of an Aquaman comic. And sadly, I just don't think I am in for it.

There is nothing bad here, like Jeff said. Nothing really great either, other than being exactly the comic it needs to be. It is a comic about the king of the oceans and this is what kind of stories I think we will/should get. Again, I just don't think I am the audience for this character. Not this way. Not the correct way.
If you are however, this will be a good version of Aquaman for you to read about, this aquatic Aquaman.

I may come back to see if he starts becoming more of a land hero, but he really does need to be a water hero again. At least for a few years I think.

For what this was, it was good. But for me, about an average comic.

6 outta 10 Hunger Game Atlantis Zones
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 08:15:22 PM »

Issue #1 (Regular series)

Okay, not bad. About the best Abnett book I have read in sometime, as sad as that is to say (he has really not wow'd me lately).

This is a typical first issue, setting up the new themes (like the Embassy) and staging new characters (one of which I hope we didn't lose already as I enjoyed his brief appearance).

While there is nothing special here, the art is serviceable, if not kinda neat and the writing is good for the topic. I have to keep in mind how hard a sell Aquaman is by the nature of his water-world, isolated as it is, so I try to keep that in mind when reading. Aquaman also suffers, like a lot of characters I like (Moon Knight especially) for not having the best rouges gallery to pull from. You mostly get either Ocean Master or Black Manta. I will not spoil what villain shows up here, but I am sure you know it maybe one of those two. Yeah?
 Grin
Sure, there ARE others like the Fisherman or Dagon or a few others, but ... yeah. Black Manta or Ocean Master.

I mean much like my complaint with Doomsday or Luthor being the only Superman villains we see at the start of any "new" Superman product, Aquaman has the same dreaded reappearance of foes, so you know going in there is a 50/50 shot at who the "bad guy" will be. And if we are honest ... honest in our agreement that Ocean Master kinda sucks ass as a villain, the percentage is actually more of a 80/20 split.
 Cheesy

Still, this issue was much better than the Rebirth issue if nothing else, though that wound't have been too hard in my opinion.
 Cheesy

6 outta 10 Cries of "Can we bring back the Malignant Amoeba?"
 Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 07:35:24 PM »

Issue #2

This book needs to be the first "Rebirth" book that drops back to once a month publishing. This book may be worth $2.99 a month, maybe, but it damn sure isn't worth $6 a month. It's not. The end of this just made no sense what-so-ever. How can you have that much anger and that much dedication and then ... ?

Ugh.

I also think that our boy Abnett needs to run right out and apologize or except an apology from Lanning, as he is just killing his solo career. He hasn't been good on much.

Dude, get the band back together, ASAP!!!

5 outta 10 resolutions that make you scratch your head.
 Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 03:15:31 PM »

Gotta agree Perry.

Every writer in the last 12 years continues to make the same plight and plot for Aquaman. Since no one, to a small degree, gives a shit about the character (truly, like me Grin), then go nuts!!

I mean, Peter David was allowed to do that, and look at his run! It actually climbed charts! It's looked at as a wonderful, seminal run on the book! Aquaman truly became badass!!

I think more than anything, I'm sick of watching Aquaman wear his own popularity on his sleeve the way his fans have to when they say they like him and others laugh. But, this A-man has also been an incredible ass of a king to the Atlanteans ever since he came back in the New 52. It's no wonder they've always thought about ditching him.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 09:03:18 PM »

Indeed, Jimmy. He can have great stories, I know he can, but ... man, I just get so frustrated watching a character I like not have a good book. He is almost back to being the brunt of jokes, but not for just being who he is, but for being a character no-one can get a hold of and have a good long run with.

Maybe if they kept him by a lake instead of by an ocean?  Cheesy Cheesy I mean, I live by the ocean so I feel comfortable around it, but maybe it is the vastness of that body of water that comic fans in Kansas just can't enjoy or get a grasp on?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Maybe if we put him by a lake, make him a camp councilor? Jason or no Jason ... just get him some fresh water?  Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 01:50:38 AM »

Issues 3 & 4

Perry is right.

It's a damned stupid, and poorly written that these gov't men just yell stupid inanities at A KING OF SUPERHUMAN PEOPLE about them bombing their ship and doing it to make the USA look stupid. Seriously, is that man Trump himself? And by the way, he's totally a member of this NEMO group; not that this is an element we can't see coming. And much like the foolish trope of the right hand man in Green Arrow being the betrayer, then yes, this stupid trope will come to pass.

And I know that Arthur needs to tow the line between human and Atlantean, but man, he seems like a silly pussy by letting this arrest happen and be this meek, foolish puppy. Between issues 3 & 4, it's just a poor sequence of events that attempts to create tension which is only "accomplished" as long as everyone is an utter moron, and no one thinks before acting.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 01:19:15 PM »

Absolutely, buddy. Good points, all.

And the thing with Manta now, after the bull at the end of issue #2, is now ... Arrhh.
Whatevs (as my daughter use to say)
 Angry

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 04:21:14 PM »

Aquaman #6
Titled "The Drowning: Conclusion" ... or as I call it ... "Perhaps there's hope"

This was not bad. Not bad at all. Aquaman vs Superman and Aquaman didn't back down. I think this may be, no, I know it is the best issue of the series. Aquaman actual felt regal in this issue. He even drives an "I AM KING" statement home with perfection.

Really looking forward to the next issue now.

7 outta 10 - Tag Teams Wrestlers
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 01:14:47 AM »

Aquaman #8

Better, but not the best or amazing.

As I've said before, I'm sick of an Arthur who waffles as a king (although, he's done better in the recent 2 issues), but it always seems like he never puts Atlantis and it's cultures at his forefront at all. I'm glad to see Mera is attempting to learn and grow-

AH HA.

Maybe that's what bugs me!! Arthur jsut doesn't seem to learn and grown in his kinghood! (that's what I loved on PAD's and Jurgens run on the Aquaman title).

I want to see this guy be more than just a surface dweller who happens to be king-I want him to be Atlantean as well. Perhaps that growth will come.

If this pedestrian way of inciting a world war between the US and Atlantis doesn't ruin the book.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 02:34:33 PM »

Issue #9

And this issue continues Jimmy's description ... "better but ..."  Grin

Although I will say that the ending was great. Loved it.

One thing I do like about what Lanning is doing on this book is bringing us more in touch with the people of Atlantis. I am not too familiar with most of them, I know there have been writers to do this before, but I can appreciate Lanning bringing me (a relative newbie) into Arthur's underwater world, his people ... making his world bigger ... allowing for future stories to be not, necessarily, about Aquaman, but the people in his life. Aquaman should have stories about his Lois Lanem but more than that. What about Aquaman's Jimmy Olson? Aquaman's Batcave? Aquaman's power battery. Yeah, I like what Lanning is setting up here.

7 outta 10 "What's in your wallet?"s
 Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 07:43:07 PM »

Issue #10

Alrighty !! good stuff. Great art, compelling story, just all in all a good comic. From cover to close I enjoyed the heck out of this. Love Mera here.

Yep, this is a good Aquaman arc.

8 outta 10 - aquatic visions
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 08:46:48 PM »

Uh oh. Am I about to spend more money?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 09:17:33 PM »

Cheesy

It's good, not sure if it is let's spend $6 a month good yet.

The art is awesome though. So crisp. Story is good too, but hit or miss as a series. Better of the Abnett stuff I will say that.
 Undecided

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS