HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:20:13 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GREEN LANTERNS - REBIRTH  (Read 6279 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 02, 2016, 01:08:09 AM »

Another placeholder
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:13:07 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 04:17:49 AM »

This one was one of the better titles this month. Of course it was written by Geoff Johns.

I'm torn on it for the future. I have absolutely no interest in either of these GL's. Jennifer is a little more interesting but not enough to pick up this title. 

Then of course there is this at the end:
Atrocitus and the Red Lanterns!   Shocked

And just like that I'll be in for the first arc.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 01:31:01 PM »

I both agree and disagree on your main points.

I agree that I also have little to no interest either of these characters. Simon Baz is just not an interesting character to me as of yet, though I can see why he could be for some and Jessica Cruz (I think someone got the name Jennifer in his head from another green hero; Jade  Grin), while showing promise in Justice League, doesn't really drive home the "this is worth $2.99 twice a month" vibe that DC needs here. Once a month, maybe. Heck even likely. But twice a month?

And I have to ask, how is it that Jessica rids herself of both the old, Earth 3 ring and that evil Earth 3 deity that resided in that ring (Volthoom), and still have the same look? I mean, I like her one white eye with the lantern around it, but would that not have been a product of what Volthoom wanted her to look like? Wouldn't she choose a different look? Just curious. Doesn't ruin anything for me
 Smiley

Now for what I disagree on, the reveal at the end ... did the opposite for me. Sent me running away faster than I could swipe right.
 Grin
I just have never liked the concept of a "group of "RAGE" filled aliens". If they were truly rage filled, they would get nothing done. Atrocitus was cool. I like the rage idea then, when he was a solo act, but when he started to collect or gather other rage filled beings, the weight of the concept fell in on itself for me. When you're in a state of rage you can't plan things. You damn sure can't sit down and discuss things. So either he was never "filled with rage" or he is just an angry alien with a group of angry aliens. That doesn't seem as cool as just one rage filled dude.
Undecided

Then you add in the fact there may be
yet another "spectrum" type of thing coming, as the box showed us a glipse of in the beginning of this issue
"WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!?!"
 Cheesy
I am scared we may be going down an already heavily overused plot device sooner rather than later. I don't mind the plot device, but give us a few years before going back to the well.
If ... IF that is indeed a "spectrum" or another "multi-colored" threat or event, that is. I could be well off the mark

So even though this was a tad better overall than the other Green book (so far the only two I have read), I am still not wowed here. I will also give this title the first issue proper to grab me, but I just don't know if this is for me. Heck, I am really worried I won't like the Hal Jordan one either. I think the GL Corps is just a great memory for me now. Much like LoSH
 Cry

6 outta 10 - rings from everywhere
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 05:26:15 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot about your second point regarding the box. And I TOTOALLY agree with you.  Been there, done that, sold the T-shirt.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 09:34:46 PM »

Cheesy
Right?

And did I spoil Justice League #50 for you a tad with that post above? I didn't mean to. I forgot you didn't read it before Rebirth and I'm not sure you have read it as of yet. Sorry if I did.
 Embarrassed

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 11:43:51 PM »

Cheesy
Right?

And did I spoil Justice League #50 for you a tad with that post above? I didn't mean to. I forgot you didn't read it before Rebirth and I'm not sure you have read it as of yet. Sorry if I did.
 Embarrassed

lol - I haven't read issue 49 yet much less 50.   Cheesy

50 isn't shipping until the end of the month so don't worry about it.  You know I won't remember anything I read here by the time I get to it.   Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 01:01:42 PM »

I liked it.  Grin

But I really fall into the kool-aid vat when big things happen in the GL universe.

Both these characters are so new and so...unknown, we'll see if I grow to like them. Forcing this into a buddy cop action book may help some.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 01:32:45 AM »

Shouldn't this also be moved to the "team" books?  Grin
I liked issue 1 and 2 a lot more than the Rebirth issue. Maybe because I read the two issues back to back, but I am excited to read issue #3 this week. Loving the bi-weekly stuff ... so far
 Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 02:48:00 AM »

Yes! 

Moved  Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 11:13:36 AM »

Yes! 

Moved  Grin

Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 08:19:36 PM »

I say I am over this, then I like it, then I don't care, then I like it, then I am tired of it, then ...

What the hell is it with this title?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS