HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:45:35 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BATMAN - REBIRTH  (Read 22687 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 02, 2016, 01:07:38 AM »

Haven't read it yet, but here is my placeholder  Grin

EDIT - Will hopefully read tonight
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:12:31 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 04:13:53 AM »

Just thought I'd repost what I said in the Top of the Stack thread.

Batman: Rebirth was pretty good.  Just a setup issue and not near as "Wow" as last weeks DC Universe Rebirth.  I did see the ad for the upcoming All Star Batman coming in August.  Man, I'm torn on that.  Love Snyder.  JRJR on art?  Not so much.  Angry

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »

Finally had a chance to read this puppy and I agree with Jeff.

A decent start but no real meat, other than Bats bringing in Duke (from the WE ARE ROBIN series) as a new trainee/side-kick ... which is pretty cool. I wonder what his name will be as Bat's came right out and said "I don't want another Robin". With that yellow costume with bat emblems ... hard to say.

Over all, with the Calendar Man main plot ... including a very interesting tweek to Julian Day, this seemed very much like an Annual instead of a Rebirth (which is basically a "0" issue) and that is fine. I didn't need to be brought up to speed with Bats and I think the majority of the people will get what's going on easily enough, though some older fans may not like the new Calendar Man (I am not one of those. I like this ... change  Wink Grin).

The art was pretty darn nice looking. I will say that. Janin brings that beautiful look that wowed me in Justice League Dark over to this book and my eyes are all the happier for it. I hope Finch, who is doing the first arc (I guess), isn't gonna hog all the art duties and my boy Janin comes back soon. Man I love his close-ups.

Anyway, a very good one-shot that was the brightest of the week for me and while I didn't know Snyder was co-writing this until I opened the book (and man can you see his influence here), I am looking forward to seeing what Tom King does on his own with my favorite DC character. 

a solid 7.5 outta 10 seasonal changes
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 03:42:01 PM »

My only complaint, if I had one, would be that after the big reveal at the end of DC Universe Rebirth I was hoping for further development with what Batman found behind his Dad's letter.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 09:40:45 PM »

Batman #1

Not sure whether or not this is going to keep me interested.  This story wasn't bad and acts as sort of a setup issue, but after reading Snyder's Batman for so long the voices of the characters don't feel right.  It's probably going to be hard to live up to Snyder's run but this is an honest try.

I think it's worthy of a first arc try so I'll pick up the next issue.  I like the ending surprise EXCEPT for....

The names of the characters.  Gotham and Gotham Girl?  Ugh.  That's terrible.

One of the weaker Rebirth comics this week.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 03:25:16 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 01:38:02 PM »

I like the ending surprise EXCEPT for....

The names of the characters.  Gotham and Gotham Girl?  Ugh.  That's terrible.

Cheesy Not a fan, huh? Well it is an odd choice, but I am thinking there is a reason for that ... I sure hope so but it doesn't hit me as bad as it did you, but I really enjoy the meta of Gotham City being an aspect in anyway.

Although truthfully, had it been
"Metropolis or Star City Lad" I may have the same feelings as you
Cheesy

One of the weaker Rebirth comics this week.

I feel something else, and I'm not just talking about the letdown that was Titans - Rebirth (again, not bad, just a nothing book, really). And maybe it is just due to my Batman love, I will admit that, but there is a structure here to this writing that I really enjoy. Yes, this issue was nothing more than an over long action sequence  Cheesy, but the dialog and tone just fit Batman.

Was I blown away, no, but I enjoyed it.

I hope it turns around for ya, but I know sometimes we just don't bond well with certain things. I can sure relate. Glad you're giving it time.

Maybe I should follow that methodology as well and at least try Superman #1?
 Undecided
(Man that Gleason art, though ... scares me)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 02:06:38 AM »

No post since issue 1?  Does that mean it died for you Perry?

Issue 4

This title got better for me.  I'm hoping for a little more...
Psycho Pirate and would love to see him in a stronger arc here.

I think I'm willing to go through a second arc with this title.  It has potential.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 12:08:57 PM »

No post since issue 1?  Does that mean it died for you Perry?

No, no  Smiley. I just have not read this title since issue #1  Grin It is on my "Weekly Reader" for this week, but came close to wait until issue 6 and read the remaining five, but I just can't wait that long. Will read issues 2, 3 and 4 this week.
 Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 01:49:57 PM »

So I finally finished my Bat issues, read 2-5 over the last couple days or so, and yeah, I liked it ... over-all.

I still don't feel that King has Batman's voice, he just says some stuff or does some stuff that I feel Batman just wouldn't say or do. Like putting
Alfred in harms way against a Superman level opponent
for one
 Roll Eyes

Still, I am liking this tile for the most part and really loving King's version of Alfred (I hope he gets his own arc soon).

Interested to see what happens next.

Issue 4

This title got better for me.  I'm hoping for a little more...
Psycho Pirate and would love to see him in a stronger arc here.

I was right there with ya buddy, and they kinda rushed that part right out of the title, didn't they? Maybe King brings it back around the next arc when dealing with Gotham Girl? Maybe?
 Undecided

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 12:49:01 AM »

Not a bad end to the arc but I'm wanting a little more.  Can't put my finger on what that it is but it seems it just needs a little something to be a great comic.

Looking forward to the next arc to see if it finds this thing I can not think of.   Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 04:06:42 PM »

Issue #9

Okay, okay, we're getting somewhere. A set-up issue, for sure, but one that has me really excited.

Question and last page spoiler, so don't look if you haven't read the issue ... 
how did the title Catwomen end? I thought under the Nu52 she was a "good guy", well you know what I mean, as good as she can be being a bad guy  Grin. Has this been wiped away for this Rebirth or was there a "lock her up" moment prior to this in the Nu52?

Also, and another spoiler, though not as profound ... except for me and a few others ....
Saturn Girl still locked up? and in Arkham? What the What!?!?!?
Oh man, Oh man, Oh man....  Smiley

Now this title has stepped up. Still, like Jeff said, something missing, but I am hoping King has found his legs now. But we will see in two or three more issues.

7 outta 10 total inmates
 Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 02:45:18 PM »

Cry

Batman Issue #10

As a reminder, I started my last post, about issue #9, in this manner - "Okay, okay, were getting somewhere".  Yeah, that is what I said, but now I just want that "somewhere" to be anywhere but here. I did not enjoy this issue. In fact I came downright close to hating this issue. No, I take that back, I did hate this issue. What in the hell is Tom King doing? This is the same guy that brought us Vision? That brought us Omega Men? I say nay, it can't be. That guy, that Tom King could write his ass off. This Tom King ... well ... it is like he never read a Batman comic in his life.

I have been struggling with this book for a long time, since issue #1 in-fact, and I have tried to remain positive. Yes, there has been things that I have scratched my head over, things I found 100% out of character (like Batman talking about dying with that plane in issue #1) and things that just didn't seem right, but I have stayed on thinking that this genius of a writer knew what he was doing, so, I thought, just let the problems slide as eventually Tom King will right this ship. He will shove all the problems aside and shine down the light that is his creative mind. But no. It is just getting way out of hand now

This is bad. I just can't describe it. While reading this issue I kept hoping for a robot to be shown dressed as Batman, or some something other than Batman but I was not given that relief. Is this Tom King's Batman? It just can't be, can it?

I have rated this title in my top ten and all the while admitting it is was only because I was both a fan of the character and of the writer. I can no longer justify that. I just can't. This issue just sums up the nine that had preceded it so perfectly, even as I was trying my best to self comfort, to try and show what good was in the issues and bring them forward while pushing back the bad ... the massive amount bad that has been shown in this title. This one issue is the proof that has opened my eyes. This title is horrible. Please stop this.

All that good art ... wasted.

What in the hell is going on here? Even now I think if this issue was a robot Batman (which would bring out more questions, trust me) this is still just bad.

This hurts to type, and it is mostly for the art that saves some points but ...

3 outta 10 - broken backs
 Cry Cry Cry

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 05:34:20 PM »

Glad to hear I'm not the only one on the fence with this one.  Maybe it's editors are the problem at DC.

I'm thinking I'll save my money on this and use it for $5 Batman.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 06:20:38 PM »

Oh if I could only blame it on the editors, but there are subjects, actions and dialog pieces here that just scream writer's fault.

It just boggles my mind it can be this bad, at least this issue, when he has proven to be so good at writing. I understand laying an egg from time to time, all writers have done that, but to be so far off on this book ... man, I hope it is just a dream
 Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 12:19:02 PM »

Cool. I mean, not cool, but cool that I know not to blindly buy this stuff in tpb after all.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS