HR Boards
December 12, 2017, 10:42:00 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hero Realm now
officially 475 members
strong!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BATMAN - REBIRTH  (Read 1170 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »

Batman issues 16-19

A decent Bane story that is bringing me tons of enjoyment based almost solely on the look of Bane. I am not a an uber fan of Finch, I mean he is fine, I like his stuff, mostly, but he's not in my top 5 let's say, but the way he is drawing Bane in this arc. Holy shit I am absolutely loving it. Much like Finch, Bane is not in my top 5 either. Hell, he is not in my top 10 Batman villains, but I have never enjoyed him more than I am enjoying him here and that is primarily just on his look.

Bad-Ass look!!!!

Yeah, this was a good read, but I am very glad I had all these issues to read straight through. I read issue #16 a little while back, but when I hit #17 and had the two next issues, the arc became so much more enjoyable.

As much as a pain in the ass it is to have all these issues to read through, it is also so much better. Comics are made for that cliffhanger monthly (or bi-weekly) ending, but they read so much better collected. So much better.

I will read #20 when it hits, as I think it will be the finale for this arc, but after that, I may collect about 3 or 4 more issues to have backlogged before I start again. I think.
 Cheesy

(Man does Bane look awesome here)
 Cool
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 03:45:37 AM »

Wow, it has been awhile since I have taken the time to post here.
 Grin

Batman issues 25-32

I said it before in the Weekly Reader thread and I will say it again here; Ugh!

Tom King is such a great writer, truly, but I just can not seem to enjoy his Batman. Oh sure I will enjoy an issue here and there, but the only thing consistent in King's Batman is that King does not get Batman. The voice is just wrong. The mentality is just wrong. The Actions are just wrong (I can't wait for you guys to read what Bats does in issue #32  Roll Eyes)

Oh and don't get me started on Riddlers last few pages. I will not say anymore on that until more of you have read this. I just can't speak on that now.

What I will say is, that this arc is a shining example of King's Batman. A story that could be so epic in scale, so grand, yet it falls under the weight of bad characterization and bad not the best plotting.

And ... well ... I am sure you guys have heard about Batman and Catwoman, but I am going to place it under the spoiler tag just in-case
Batman has asked Catwoman to marry him ... does that one statement not showcase the lack of understanding about who Batman is? I get you want to shake up characters every so often and no, I am not mad about it happening, I just don't think, out of all the DC characters that you could have get married (and show Marvel it can work *cough,cough* PETER! *cough*) that Batman in the one that makes the perfect choice. I don't want to see "Kinder Batman", "Picnic Batman" or ... oh god ... "Cuddling Batman"
 Cheesy

Now true, Catwoman isn't your normal, run of the mill wife either, so of course there are stories to be had there
but from what I can tell so far, and again, I hate to say this as I love the guys writing, but having read over 30 issues of his Batman, I just don't believe King is the best choice to tell us THAT story.

The art was really cool looking though. I do have to say that.
 Cheesy

Man, this arc could have been spectacular, with its
war between Joker and Riddler
, but ended up being so much less so. Just wrong voices and dialog that turned my smile upside down.

King, I love ya, but give me your other stuff any day!!

Thanks in no small part to the art and colors, the War of Jokes and Riddles rates a
5 outta 10 -

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 02:26:01 PM »

Maybe Bendis will take over.

"If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?" - Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 04:45:50 AM »

Maybe Bendis will take over.

Maybe, but with his recent drooling over a Superman image at a library in Cleveland, I am thinking he is going for the Man of Steel.

Man, I can't wait to see Jimmy's head explode it that is the case.
 Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I was hoping JSA or LoSH ... but ONLY because I want SOMEONE to do those damn books. And while I would prefer someone that could do a team (not Bendis' forte at all in my opinion) at least it would end up with those titles on the shelves ... something we have been waiting for since Rebirth first hit!
 Angry
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS