HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:55:40 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Transformers: A New Generation premieres in theaters September 13, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: TOP OF THE STACK 4/27/16  (Read 8214 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 27, 2016, 10:32:26 AM »

(With apologies to my boy Andrew Chard  Wink)

We all of them, our favorite or most intacipated books. And when they hit, we can't wait to get our grubby little hands on them. They are the first 2 to 5 books that our bright eyes gaze upon, pushing all others to the "I will read them when I have more time" slot. Yes, for these books we make time, damn it. These ... above all others!!!
 Cheesy

Here is my Top of the Stack for this week.

Book 1 - Micronauts #1 - This just has to be here. At the top. First comic to be read. But make no mistake, while I am very eager to read this and wishing this to be at least good, I am also very scared that this may be a big disappointment issue for me. Still, I am rubbing Baron Karza's belly and hoping for the best.  Grin

Book 2 - Aliens Defiance #1 - I am not usually a Dark Horse Aliens/Predator kinda guy, but they have recently been putting some very good writers on these books (including Dan Abnett on the current Predator), so when I heard that Brian Wood was coming on next to do an Alien book, I started salivating acidic slime. I am all over this.

Book 3 - Dr. Strange: Last Days of Magic #1 - Yes, the first 3 or 4 issues of the current Dr. Strange ongoing were not the best work Jason Aaron ever put out, but we forgive the great ones for the occasional slip up. Well, it has started getting better and this one-shot, another publishing wallet pull, leads right into the next issue (issue #7) that is also coming out this week so ... yeah ... Marvel knew what they were doing to pull more funds from my back side.
"By the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak and the Hory-Money Grab!!!"

Other titles I know I am going to read ... sometime within the week:
Justice League #49 - Timing and lateness has "killed the ride" a tad, but this is still a fun little story
Batman #51 - Snyder and Capullo's swan song
Avengers Stand-Off: Omega #1 - Yes, yes, blah, blah, blah. I've had fun with it regardless. Like an old 80's story  Smiley
Dr. Strange #7 - More magic stuff
Ultimates #6 - If you guys want some good Galactus stuff, read this darn series !!!!!
Conan The Avenger #25 (last issue before Conan the Slayer ...?)
EDIT -
and
Velvet #14 - Maybe. I can't decide if I want to wait and read this after more issues come out or what. This last wait, after I just got caught up, was not fun, but it was nice not having to remember everything either.  Grin But I think Bru puts a recap page in (Something I still wish DC would do) so I may read it now. But I am also stockpiling Saga (which also hits this week) and if I can do that, I should be able to stock-pile this, right? But man I really like ... Oh I don't know...

So only about 8 or 9 titles for this week and of course more Morrison Batman and some older stuff I have that has been waiting on me to get through like James Bond, Black Magick and Bloodshot. (I am so ashamed I let those slip) Embarrassed

So what is your top of the stack? What are your top books you plan on reading ASAP?!?!?!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:38:42 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 12:24:48 PM »

I have MU titles going back 7-8 weeks.

I have comics I physically bought 3 weeks ago that I read...3 from (another dozen to go!)

I got my trade order for the month, and have Ivar, Time Walker v3, Cyborb v1, Batman v8, Sam Cap v1, She Thor v2, and 2 others I can't remember!

And a library book that I've had for 5 weeks that I'm on page 93 of 587!

Reading...is so fleeting.

All I did do was make sure I read Secret Wars HC. That's all I've been able to nail down for myself. Wink

I WOULD like to read that Batman volume, 4 issues of Lando, see how much I could hate on Bendis 2 issues of Iron Man, more postSW Sam Cap.....

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 01:38:42 PM »

So your answer is ... nothing?
 Tongue

Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 12:49:33 AM »

So your answer is ... nothing?
 Tongue

Grin

And I don't mean that  like it may seem. Ha, damn text ... you can take it so many ways.  Grin

I am saying you have all that to read, but have yet to do so, so your answer for what is at the top of your stack is nothing. That is what I meant in case any confusion.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 01:00:09 AM »

Building up in my next shipment are these three:
Justice League #49
Velvet #14
Wrath of The Eternal Warrior TP Vol 01 Risen

As for what I'm reading this week.  

Trades I'm working on:
Invincible TPB Vol 22 "Reboot?!" - this is currently in "the reading room".   Grin
Wonder Woman Earth One HC

Floppies:
Batman #50
Flash #50

Comixology:
Low #11
Low #12

Marvel Unlimited:
Uncanny X-Men Special #1 (2014)
Iron Man Special #1 (2014)
Nova Special #1 (2014)

Edit: added Low 12 to the list.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:00:30 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 07:06:19 PM »

Trades I'm working on:
Invincible TPB Vol 22 "Reboot?!" - this is currently in "the reading room".   Grin

Floppies:
Batman #50
Flash #50

Comixology:
Low #11
Low #12

Marvel Unlimited:
Nova Special #1 (2014)

Actually making progress this time.  So far I've enjoyed everything I've read today: Invincible, Low, Batman, and Flash.  I think I'm going to bang out those three MU issues and then tackle Wonder Woman Earth One.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 07:54:28 PM »

Trades I'm working on:

Floppies:
Batman #50
Flash #50

Comixology:
Low #11
Low #12

Marvel Unlimited:
Nova Special #1 (2014)

Down to just Wonder Woman.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 09:00:15 PM »

And done!  Finally met my goal for a change.  Now off to find that WW thread.....

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 01:13:10 AM »

What were those Marvel Specials you just read? I don't remember them

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 02:33:09 AM »

What were those Marvel Specials you just read? I don't remember them

It was a three part crossover and kind of lame. Basically Cyclops gets kidnapped by mistake by some interstellar bounty hunters and the search for him crosses over the three comics.  It tries to be like Superior Foes of Spider Man but the villains are just a buffoons.  You might have read it and you would still not remember it.   Wink

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 03:02:09 PM »

Cheesy

Ha, okay. No, think I missed that. Rather luckily it sounds.  Smiley Thanks

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 08:19:51 PM »

I got through Green Arrow 50 & 51 (REALLY good stuff! I love Percy's take on this guy. (Percy, not Perry, Perry. Wink ). I can read this guy as a young Ollie we all used to know and love.

Green Lantern 50 & 51. Venditti has made me a fan of his Hal. Not the greatest gunslinger rogue of the universe, but a guy trying to do the most of the universe as one man can. I've really enjoyed that alot!!

Black Canary 9. A flashback to an event we never saw, and it was ALL flashback. This title has become utter nothing. I should have quit it 2-3 issues back now, realizing it wasn't coming back around in this form.

Aquaman 50-Abnett still has me digging on the King of the 7 Seas. Brett Booth comes over to tell this tale, and you know what? as 90's as Booth can be, I really dug seeing him draw Aquaman for the first time in my memory!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 01:00:17 AM »

Glad you're digging some of these final issues of DC, Jimmy. I don't read what you have been reading, but I am hearing a lot of complaints about them being mostly throw away stories
(As they would be with the other talent moving on to get read for Rebirth, so not sure what they, those that were saying that, were expecting)
 Undecided

Glad you are not as effected as those negative nellies seem to be.  Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 01:14:09 AM »

Percy gets to stay on GA, so I see his story continuing as usual.

Venditta stays on GL, so I think his story will lead into post-Rebirth.

Action Comics is a huge spinning wheel. Ugh

Aquaman is certainly setting up new stuff, with Abnett being the guy on board. So yay!

Deathstroke is actually finishing it's maxi-story line, so an ending coming!!

But yeah, I see it happening (well, HEAR it happening) in the other DC titles.

Justice League 3001, I believe, is going away. Too bad, I really enjoyed it!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 12:41:54 PM »

Working my way through East of West Tpb Vol 5.  Really good story arc is in this one.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS