HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 12:26:12 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: MICRONAUTS  (Read 7927 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 25, 2016, 08:08:20 PM »

Just placing this topic here for me to reply in after the new #1 hits this Wednesday. Gonna be one of the first 4 books I read for this week. Plan on posting ... hopefully no later than Thursday.
 Smiley

Who else is getting this?

Jedi?

Wringer?

I think Jeff pre-ordered it ...? ... maybe? Jimmy, are you interested in this?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 08:49:08 PM »

I think Jeff pre-ordered it ...? ... maybe? Jimmy, are you interested in this?

Nope!  I opted to just start it in digital from the get go...which I will do but probably not until the price drops $1 like they usually do when the next issue comes out.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 01:40:08 PM »

Ahh, best way to do this probably.

I say that as I am scared of the art. I haven't seen it and this is not coming from Dynamite, but still not familiar with the artist. Crossing my fingers.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 02:05:48 PM »

Issue #1 (no spoilers)

So the biggest thing I had to overcome with this issue, before even reading the first page, (and I am sure I will not be alone) was trying to totally eliminate any and all Micronauts knowledge ... as much as I could ... from my memory. I knew this was not going to be "my" Micronauts, but it could still be a fun, different version if I allowed it to be. I can't say that I was successful in thinking of this as a new title with no history, but I like to think I did my best in not allowing that history to interfere with my reading and judgement.

I'm gonna start first with the art. I thought it was perfect. There is a style here that looks very much like ... well ... any older Disney animated movie, or more precise, very reminiscent of that that old game "Dragon's Liar"  Cheesy (You guys remember that? If not HERE is what I am talking about). Now it doens't have that look exactly, it isn't like animation per se, but some of the panels reminded me of that game very highly. The main reason the art felt perfect for me though? It made it easier to differentiate the Micronauts of old with the Micronauts of now. Having the art look close to animation cells (not really, but again certain panels) made this a totally new book for me. For that, I was grateful.

That is not to say the art's ONLY success was helping wipe my mind of days gone by, no, no. There is good stuff here. There is a cleanness that comes with that style, naturally, that fits great with what was originally a toy line. Yes, the tone of this series is a little darker than say ... Donald Duck (and yes I know I just crossed animation companies, having earlier talked about Disney  Cheesy), but it is also a book about toys. The art kinda reminds us of that. Especially with the designs of characters and robots
 Wink

I will say the art sadly looks very muddled when showing us this "cloud" thing that I won't go into yet.

Now the story ...  decent. Bunn did a pretty good job overall I think. Nothing that blew me away nor made me not want to come back (I do want to come back, by the way) so that is a win I suppose. We are introduced reintroduced to some familiar characters and a couple new ones (or ones I certainly don't remember) as well in a typical "getting to know you" first issue. We have our Baron Karza and of course Acroyear, who I have a question about in a minute, and we have a new "Commander Rann" as well. Okay, not a new one, but more of a different take on the Glider aspect. I mean more in line with the toy. While ...you know, I am just gonna stop talking about that. No spoilers remember?

Overall I liked this book enough to keep going. This book had a tough job in dealing with us old farts or even dealing with the young poots that read the Marvel version. It did a good enough job of separating itself while still tickling the memory cells. And while the rating below may seem low or less than stellar (remember a 5 is just a good, average comic with no glaring issues) and normally not a grade I would jump back in for the next issue, it still has enough characters/content/story and of course nostalgia for me to come back for issue #2.

6 outta 10 Biotrons

And how do you guys pronounce Acroyear? When I was younger, I could not stop calling him ac(rhymes with mac)ro(like row)Year(just like year). And with the emphasis on "Ac".
ac-row-year
but then I changed it to be more a(like "uh")croy(rhymes with boy)yer(like "yer gonna get hurt")  Cheesy (emphasis on "croy")
a-croy-yer

Does anyone know how to say it?

I mean I'm the kid that use to pronounce Sub-Mariner like the naval vessel - submarine, but with an "er" at the end. Submarine-er  Cheesy I also, just over the past two years or so, stopped pronouncing Magneto like a magnet with an "O" at the end ...Magnet-O Cheesy (which still sounds better to me than Mag-NEAT-o)
 Angry
But God knows I am not the best when it comes to character pronunciation, so I am wondering how everyone else says it.

Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 06:43:36 PM »

I always pronounced it as a-croy-yer but who knows.

Sounds like I will enjoy this when I get to it though.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 09:26:05 PM »

Sounds like I will enjoy this when I get to it though.

I hope you do. And you have a good chance as long as you let the past stay in the past, as it were  Undecided

This was a pretty fun first issue, but they (first issues) always have things in them that could've been better, it is just the nature of the first issue. For example, you are usually left wanting to know more than you got and that is no different here.
 Cheesy

And cool, a-croy-yer it shall be  Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 07:53:19 PM »

Finally read Issue 1 today.  I forgot to forget about the past so it may have deteriorated my enjoyment.  For example, I'm not sure what I think about the art becasue Baron Karza didn't look like my Baron Karza - a little more cartoony.  I didn't think WOW about this first issue but when I finished I knew I wanted to read the next issue.  I was at least smart enough to acknowledge ahead of time this would be a different world and different Micronauts from what I remember so I went in with no expectation that it would be the same.  My only complaint while reading it was the art.  

I've since come back and read Perry's post and what he says about the art makes sense.  At some points I thought it looked a little like Black Science (a book I love).  So when I get issue two I'm going to wipe out my pre-conceved notions about what they are supposed to look like.

That said, the story is setup for the characters but interesting enough to make you want to see what happens next.  I think the opening is the best part as it creates the mystery you want to discover the answer to.  I need to go to the Book of Knowledge (i.e. the internet) and refresh my memory on the toys (not the comic).  I did like seeing Microtron - ha ha.

I'm with Perry on this is worth reading based on the first issue and I'm looking forward to learning more of this story.  I can see it going either way - great or sour.  Time will tell but I will say that Bunn is usually pretty good so I'm optimistic it will be good.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 09:01:20 PM »

I totally understand your point of view regarding the art. It isn't ... what I was thinking even I would like in my Micronauts and at first I was taken-aback, but as I said, that diod help eliminate the old from the new.

Of course since reading this issue, I have gone back and looked at some Micronauts pages and man, some of that Michael Goldon art (whom I still really like) looks pretty odd now, even though I like his stuff and really liked his unmasked Acroyear.
 Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 04:57:32 AM »

Of course since reading this issue, I have gone back and looked at some Micronauts pages and man, some of that Michael Goldon art (whom I still really like) looks pretty odd now, even though I like his stuff and really liked his unmasked Acroyear.
 Wink

I wish MU had those old titles in their library. I'd love to go back and re-read those!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 11:39:35 AM »

Wow, I didn't even think about that. Them not being able to have them due to rights ... I suppose? Damn.

While looking around the other day, I did find THIS, a little history, I think, of the Micronauts and possibly what went wrong with some future plans. I have not read it yet (I just now remember that I bookmarked the damn thing to read later  Cheesy), so it may just be all bull, but I thought I saw some things in there the first time I ran across it, a few key words as I was scanning the page, well enough to bookmark anyway, that may make it a cool read.

But do so at your own risk as again ... I have no idea what it is really about.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

EDIT - Okay, don't bother reading that.   Grin Unless you want some information on the failed series Marvel almost launched in '94. Kinda pissed it didn't happen, even though I wasn't reading comics then, as I would have loved to go back and get a series of Micronauts drawn by Cary Nord!. Oh yeah!!!

Oh well.
 Undecided
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 12:08:47 PM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 10:37:33 PM »

Just read issue #2 from last week ... not as enjoyable.

I think I may walk away for just a little while to look over my reading lists to see what I need to concentrate on. I really have been scattershot lately, reading all over the place. I think I need to pick me a smaller size of books and just concentrate on them for awhile.

Also stopping Renato Jones 1%. He blast Trump in issue #2, but the story is really ... it is kinda repetitive, him going after overindulgent, over exaggerated, rich people. There is little meat here in this ball of anger. I get the anger directed towards the 1%, I just want a more enjoyable book and not just "blast you away because you are a rich pig!!" issue after issue.
 Undecided Undecided

Yeah, I am all over the place. Hahaha.

I do need to make a pull/read list and stick to it for a few.
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 07:22:34 PM »

Micronauts: Wrath of Karza

Read issue 1 and then just flipped through issue 2.  I'm done with this series.  So something happened between the Micronauts proper book and then this continuation that must have happened in that huge Revolution Crossover that I didn't read.  Now I'm lost and this appears to be another crossover or a continuation of Revolution since G.I. Joe, MASK, and the Transformers are in this.

Too bad.  I was enjoying the main book and now the whole universe is different as well as the characters.  Just not for me anymore.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 08:31:14 PM »

Damn sorry to hear, buddy.

Celebrate by buying the digital versions of the original.
 Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS