HR Boards
September 15, 2019, 05:47:59 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ad Astra in theaters September 20, 2019!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Superman: For All Seasons  (Read 2647 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 26, 2015, 11:40:01 AM »

So, seeing as how my "to read" pile is now totally empty *cough, cough*, I decided to jump in and read that Superman For All Seasons 4 issue mini-series by Loeb and Sale. Didn't take me long to see the beauty in this book. I took a picture of the third and fourth page (a two-page semi-splash) to show you and while it may not hit you the same way it hit me (it isn't that special) I think it summarizes early Clark, without him or any other characters being the main focal point. I hope you can at least see the time that was spent on this one page. The coloring is also really good here, unlike my damn camera! (sorry, and taking a pic of a tablet may not help the quality).

There is an even better dinner scene splash that I may put up later.

I think I am gonna love these four comics  Smiley

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 09:39:10 PM »

Thought you didn't like Superman?  Grin

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you were the one calling him Super Pooper?  Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 05:26:05 AM »

Hate him, but I also know good talent can make crap look like chocolate  Wink  It still tastes "kinda nutty" (in the words of Austin Powers) but I can still appreciate the idea, thought and story ... if it is a good one.

I have always tried to find stories that I enjoy of ole' Super-Pooper, they are just so rare for me that he became my worst hero, yet I found All-Star to be utterly fantastic, as well as Red Son and perhaps shockingly, Man of Tomorrow (which had the handicap of being both a Superman story and a comic of the 90's)
 Grin

Just like Arrow, and perhaps an internet anomaly, I try to like stuff more than I try to bash it.  Smiley

Except for stuff by Guggenheim.  Cheesy
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 07:39:59 AM »

I'm going to have to add this to my library, it seems! It's always been on the periphery,  but I've never just pulled the trigger.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 10:01:50 PM »

Just finished the second book but so far I am not sure I can recommend this as a "read", Jimmy. But I wonder if you would enjoy it the same way I do.

Artistically it looks very good (though while I loved the lummox look that Sale gave Clark while on the farm, that look doesn't transfer for me quite as well with Kent in the city), but as of yet, after only two of the four issues down, it isn't grabbing hold as a book that forces me to hold it over my head and preach to the pulpit about reading it. This is just not one of those minis. Again ... so far.

However, the reason I do like it (and I suspect you may as well) is for while it lacks magical dialog, it does bursts forth with mystical Superman. There is just a feeling I get when reading this and the best way I can describe that said feeling is by saying something so stupid, that you will think I have either lost it or I am bullshitting you but ... when I read this title, I can feel Superman. 

Yes, that is a screwed up thing to relay over the internet, but that is the best way I can describe it.

Just like when I posted that picture above, all because I felt it summarized what Clark Kent is without much verbal detail ... it was just all in the picture for me, these two issues keep slapping me across the cheek with this spooky ass good feeling. Not a feeling of enjoyment as much as a feeling of "This is Superman". It's not the action inside the page because so far there is very little to be seen (though I think that is about to change). It is also not the dialog that takes place, although what little is here is perfect. It is just a feeling deep down that I am holding something ... noble ... something calming ... something ... Superman'ish.

Yep, I lost you all with that one didn't I?  Grin

Basically, don't read this if you want a high flying, action book with lots of interesting banter. Hell, in fact don't read this at all. Just feel it it.
 Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS