HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 03:17:41 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What is scary about this  (Read 2660 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 09, 2016, 01:48:54 PM »

RANK   DESCRIPTION                                             PRICE      VENDOR
1   SECRET WARS #8                                             $3.99      MAR
2   DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE #2            $5.99      DC
3   STAR WARS #13                                              $3.99      MAR
4   BATMAN/TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #   $3.99      DC
5   BATMAN #47                                                   $3.99      DC
6   GUARDIANS OF INFINITY #1                           $4.99      MAR
7   DARTH VADER #14                                           $3.99      MAR
8   HARLEY’S LITTLE BLACK BOOK #1                   $4.99      DC
9   STAR WARS ANNUAL #1                                   $4.99      MAR
10   DARTH VADER ANNUAL #1                                 $4.99      MAR

How about that 5 of the top ten are over $4.98 per comic. Half of the top ten comics are $5 or more!!

Regardless of how much Snyder fights for us, like he did already when DC tried to raise his Bat book to $4.99 a few months ago, that price ($4.99) is going to be the norm for popular comics by the end of 2017. Maybe even by the end of this year. But I will give it two full years for it to really sink in.  Wink

Buyers have proven time and time again that they are willing to pay these ridiculous prices for these damn books so why wouldn't they raise the price, at least on the popular books?

Batman, Justice League, most Bendis books and Star Wars will sell at that price. I know everyone on the interwebs will say they would never buy a book at that price, but guess what ... either they lie, or people that buy the books are not on the internet, because people ARE buying books at this $5 price point. Not only are they buying, but they are pushing the sales into the top ten.

Master Race was $6 and people pushed it into the top 3.

While yes I know those are figures are just based on the LCS orders and doesn't indicate actual sales to the public, but the good comic shops know how to order to fit demand, so I don't think it is over-buying to the extreme. These titles may in fact sell out at some stores.

Now, on the flip side of this, if the companies start making the size of the books 50 some pages, like Master Race, then sure I can see the peeps being a little more forgiving, but for monthlies, that page count can't be maintained ... as far as the artists go. There would have to be rotating artists or arcs would have to be in the bag long before they are first released.

That is why I hope that new DC title Legends sells really well. It is an anthology. With anthologies we can get 60 pages of stories a month. Sure it is in 15 page doses per story and some of the stories you may not care for, but page count wise it is an easy way to do it. Make a $6 book, give us four titles in said book, at 15 pages of story per title. 15 pages is about 2/3rds of a book, so that isn't too bad. It would take 4 issues to tell what you would normally tell in 3 issues, but that's alright, right?

So look, if the companies are gonna start pushing comics to that price point, lets show them that anthologies are the best way to make both us and then happy. Buy the new DC comic Legends of Tomorrow when it comes out. Let's get the page count we deserve for the price they are heading for.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 05:31:39 PM »

I think Legends is $8.  I almost choked and only ordered it because DCBS has it for 50% off.  While I understand that prices have to up I fear my comic book days are dwindling.   Undecided

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 04:20:01 AM »

I think Legends is $8.  I almost choked and only ordered it because DCBS has it for 50% off.  While I understand that prices have to up I fear my comic book days are dwindling.   Undecided

I feel that. I say that.

Then again, we do say that alot. Like old men around the general store porch harrumphing about youth. We'll see what we do. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 09:50:17 PM »

I think Legends is $8.  I almost choked and only ordered it because DCBS has it for 50% off. 

I hear ya. But I would gladly pay $8 for 80 pages of comics I enjoy. There's the rub and the only 'true' drawback to me for anthologies. You kinda have to enjoy most of the stories or it just isn't worth the price. But if you do, we are getting four 20 page titles wrapped into one comic for $8 vs four separate 20 page stories for $12 (if you go by the cheaper $2.99 a piece of course). I would gladly pay $8 a month for a Batman, JL, Grayson and Midnighter comic, but would feel cheated if I paid that for a Batman, Catwoman, Green Arrow and Starfire comic.

Ya just gotta like what inside to make it worth it, and 9 times outta 10 you are not gonna love all of the stories. I read 2000AD from time to time and some months I am "Wow, I need to start getting this and start a collection. This is good stuff" but most times I am "Okay, I really liked that one story, but those others, including part three of that one was not that great"
 Cheesy

I just wonder if we are getting the stories split into 20 pages each or if will be fluid. Like issue one will have stories with page counts of 20, 25, 5 and 30 for each title

While I understand that prices have to up I fear my comic book days are dwindling.   Undecided

Just the way you read them, my man.  Wink

Okay, no, you may actually one day walk away from comics. I get that. Price is a factor and so is life. Giving it all up is an option. I wouldn't blame ya, but I have no plans, future or otherwise to stop reading. Too much really good stuff out there. And for $100 a year just for Marvel digital, why would you stop that?
 Cheesy

I feel that. I say that.
Then again, we do say that alot. Like old men around the general store porch harrumphing about youth. We'll see what we do. Wink

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Yeah, and it gets easier to say when your favorite characters are just not being presented in the fashion you would like. It gets frustrating.

But there really is fantastic stuff out there fellas. Ninjak is AWESOME!!!!!  Cheesy Cheesy
(Not to mention the many, many great creator owned stuff)

I said, about 5 years ago, that it was a great time to be a fan. And well, other than the price (ESPECIALLY FOR DIGITAL FUCKING COMICS!!!) I think it is even more true today.
 Smiley

But give me another 3 months and I am sure I will go through my Biannual "Screw comics!!" rant
 Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS