HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:30:08 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Doctor Strange  (Read 10387 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 14, 2015, 10:15:08 PM »

Interested in your thoughts.....

http://www.looper.com/4166/doctor-strange-cause-big-problems-marvel/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_794099

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 12:47:31 AM »

I know they won't do it; but imagine a movie where Cumberbatch/Strange is not the main character. So, instead of getting to know him, you learn about him from the eyes of another in the movie? I'm trying to think of a good example for this. The only that popped in my head was Doc Holliday/Val Kilmer in Tombstone, but that's not close enough either.

Oh! Oh! Oh! Think of the Indian tracker/ranger character from 'Predator.' That dude was bad ass, and I have no clue what his deal was with anything else beyond what he appeared like.

However, this movie won't do that. It's a Marvel movie, of course it won't!

However, remember Marvel said no more origin movies; it's all going to be hitting the road running? Obviously from seeing Strange in Tibet there is going to be either A) be a flashback or B) be an origin. Wink

That little article does make me wonder on some things. Will there be magic-magic? I certainly hope so! None of that Thor cheat, please! Do I want Strange and Mordru chanting things across from each other, trying to say a spell faster than the other? Instead of them winging laserbolts from their hands as fast as they can? Yes please!!

Hell, at least with 'magic' you can at least say...'magic, duh.' I mean, everything that brought Vision together might as well have been said with a "Science; got it." Replace science with magic, and it's all good. Cool

But he's gotta be magical. I mean, uber-magical; live it up! Ugh, I just realized that the brainless multitudes of mindless henchman to fight will be...mindless ones....As if the bad guy reaver things from Guardians wasn't generic enough. Wink Smiley

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 01:33:08 AM »

A) Magic is just the Science most of us just don't understand  Wink
B) Yes, it has to be an origin flick. Has to. At least parts of it. Right?

C) I'm not reading the link above in-case it has spoilers I don't want to see  Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 01:36:40 AM »

No spoilers. Just a top 10 of what the writer wants to see & how they won't possibly translate into a 'Marvel movie.'

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 01:50:52 AM »

Yeah Perry, no spoilers. Just a guy like us with what he wants to see.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 10:15:22 AM »

Okay, thanks guys. Knowing that, I took a look see.  Smiley

He (the writer) seems to worry about what they will do with the "magic" of Strange. I don't think Marvel has to shy away from anything regarding magic. I certainly hope they don't. I think establishing the cosmic power of the universe, especially in Thor: Dark World and Guardians, Marvel has laid the ground work for "Elder Gods". Beings of immense cosmic (or unknown) power certainly can exist along side items of immense power. Along side beings like Thanos. Heck, there was a super large skull in space that had people working inside of it in Guardians. There is nothing that says these cosmic "Elder Gods" have to be actual "GODS" or religious deities, but merely ... much like the best series ever written, Earth X  Smiley ... beings of such power that they were just treated or thought of as "Gods" ... good gods or bad gods. Just like Earth X explained Thor, and Marvel kinda used that idea in the Thor movie, kinda. Just went more "sciency" than "alieny" is all.
 Wink

Sure, using the Vishanti may slide over into the "cult" side of things, but Marvel could, and perhaps should, just tweek those to be along the same line of "cosmic" entities more so than those on the Sorcery side of things. I would have no true problem with that, as long as they don't puss them out.

But even if they do go all cultish and sorcerery (the dude is the "Sorcerer Supreme" damn it), using "gods" should not be a problem for 99% of religious people, though yes, you may get some radical religious sects complaining about beings like "Eternity" (which slaps down creation by his existence), but they should not be listened to because, ya know, this is a freaking movie. A movie based on a comic. A comic inside a universe where people fly.
 Grin

Just image if this movie hits (please, please, please hit. Oh please hit) and we get to eventually see beings like the Living Tribunal, Lord Chaos, Master Order and the In-Betweener (and the fore mentioned Eternity of course). How cool would that be? And would we see ... the Watchers here? Eventually? Or would they/he show up in the FF movie Marvel will eventually do after the taste of the latest error has left everyone's mouth ... say ... in 2084
 Cheesy

And lastly, for the link, I don't agree with the writer at all about magic being "boring" on screen. I thought the fight between Gandalf and Saruman was very well done, regardless of their 'age' and Potter has done nothing if prove you can have magic on the big screen, so poo-poo to that writer.
 Tongue

But I do kinda hope this movie closely borders a horror movie. I want this puppy dark damn it. There is nothing fluffy about Strange. I want to be awed, I want to scared, I want to be STRANGE !!!!
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 01:44:24 PM »

As a religious person I can agree that ITS JUST A MOVIE - like Perry said.  I would want a version true to the comic with all its craziness.  After digesting the article I've decided I don't agree with him either.  If anything, Marvel has proven they can pull off the unusual.  They pulled off a talking raccoon and a talking tree for Odin sake.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 02:10:09 PM »

As a religious person I can agree that ITS JUST A MOVIE

As I think most sane, fellows and fellettes of faith will most assuredly do as well. As they should. This is fantasy, a movie about a "Strange" doctor not a movie based on any doctrine
 Smiley

I would want a version true to the comic with all its craziness. 

Exactly. Like I said (too many times) at the Caps table recently ... let that puppy ride!!!

If anything, Marvel has proven they can pull off the unusual.  They pulled off a talking raccoon and a talking tree ...

Grin

... for Odin sake.

Nice!
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 02:59:17 AM »

I, too, as a man of faith, don't give 2 rips about what a comic book movie shows for entertainment that holds no subversion. Just bring it with good work!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 09:51:24 PM »

New Info on the Doctor Strange Cast Members
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/643591-new-info-on-the-doctor-strange-cast-members#Fhu8s2MH58S3UqUO.99

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 12:39:08 PM »

New
Teaser
Trailer
Looks
Strange ... I mean incredible!!!!!

Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 06:32:53 PM »

Looks sweeeeet!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 08:27:02 PM »

nice  Grin
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 08:29:50 PM by Perry » Logged

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 03:33:23 PM »

ok so i took the daughter to see this in IMAX last night.  just let me throw this out there to paraphrase Ferris Beuller, if you have an IMAX near you, I highly recommend it.

so, to show how good this movie was, everytime i take the girl to one of the comic book movies (Marvel or DC) i always ask her if she liked it when we leave.  i usually get an "I don't know" or a flat out "No" answer from her but after this one she immediately responded with "Yes".  I'm not sure if it's because the film dealt with magic and she really likes Harry Potter or if she genuinely just enjoyed it (I took the answer of "yes" and just let it go  Grin).  We both really enjoyed it and yes, there are 2 scenes after the credits and unlike a lot of the other marvel flicks with 2 scenes at the end, both scenes played heavily into future films. 

go see this film.  I'm looking at you, Perry. Cool

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 01:59:17 AM »

I saw it, I really enjoyed it!!!

Really good, really solid start to finish. It doesn't have as much cutesy humor as Iron Man, or cheeky humor (which I liked) as Thor, but the pure human moments where the incredulous demands a bit of levity are just right and done well.

I believed in the magic of it, and enjoyed the transformation of Strange into a sorceror. Visuals were really cool, and I'm glad that the leading lady didn't derail the hero, or demand the hero's attention for him to succeed or fail on the status of her life. So very good.

I recommend it! Smiley

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS