HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:31:27 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: February 2016 Previews - Whatcha gettin'?  (Read 10486 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 29, 2015, 11:43:42 PM »

Assuming I can resist adding Walking Dead 151 (switching to trade's) this is what my pre order will look like....

Batman 49 (Feb 10) - Hanging in through issue 50.  The last few arcs haven't wowed me like Court of Owls did.
Earth 2 Society 9 (Feb 10) - Dan Abnett's doing a nice world build (literaly) here.  Not a must have but a fun read.
Flash 49 (Feb 24) - I keep thinking I'll drop this but then...here come the Rogues. Not sure why I keep wanting to drop it because its actually pretty good.  I think its my bias towards characters not being "my" Flash characters.
Grayson 17 (Feb 24) - Still on board with this title and enjoying it.
Justice League Darkseid War Special Cvr A (Feb 17) - Been good so far but I fear it's going too long.
Titans Hunt 5 (Feb 17) - I haven't even started this yet though I have issues 1 & 2.  I'll get the whole thing regardless b/c I love these characters.

Fade Out Tp Vol 03 (Feb 17) - Final arc.  Maybe I should have just gone ahead and picked it up monthly.
Sidekick Tp Vol 02 (Feb 3) - I may drop this one.  Just curious as to how it ended.  

Doctor Strange (2015) 5 (Feb 3) - My only Marvel title.  May switch over to reading this on MU.

Bloodshot Reborn Tp Vol 02 The Hunt (Feb 10) - Liked the first arc even if Lemire's take is a little out there.
Ivar Timewalker Tp Vol 03 Ending History (Feb 17) - Love this series.  This could be fun reading in trade.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:51:15 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 01:02:02 PM »

Just some comments on your pull before I get to mine ...

Did you try Midnighter, Jeff? It ties in with Grayson so well (and often ... though mostly just in dialog but they have also shared the pages as characters) that it is almost like Grayson's sister book. Spiral and the God Garden, Grayson and Midnighter, spy vs spy.

Flash ... I enjoy, but I do get tired of Brett Booths lack of panels. Every page is some wacky panel instead of the standard square/rectangle. I like his work and I like the fact he doesn't hold to some "standard", but after 3 issues it gets old. That is what has been hurting Flash for me. But still like it.

Earth 2 I have tried way too many times. I like Abnett, but I just can't do it anymore. Just not into the look of the characters either.

Titans Hunt is decent. While it is fun, it is making DC a hell of a lot more confusing right now, but hoping they ... well ... hoping it ends well

I like the new Bat Villain, but as much as I like what they are doing with Bruce, and what will come from it, I am getting tired of the Batsuit.

Dr. Strange - I can't blame ya. It's okay, but the art, the one thing other than Aaron I was looking forward too, is too congested. I like the look, but it is just too muddled. Too much going on that it hinders its own look. But that is just my onion.
 Wink

As for me ... I'm trying now to get my Image list under control. I'm still getting comics I just don't have time to read as I am currently trying to catch up on all my DC and Marvel and I've been reading back issue stuff as well (Just finished Secret Six and getting ready to start the Batman vampire books, Red Rain and the like by Moench and Jones). I could easily have 30 to 33 Image titles on my pull. I am just that into most of their books right now. Just crazy.

I will say I know I am getting these from Image ... and it is a short month  Shocked:

Beauty #6
Birthright #13
Black Magick #4 (Ruckaaaaa)
Black Science #19
Fuse #17
Goddamned #3
Huck #3
I Hate Fairyland #4
Invisible Republic #10
Nailbiter #19
Outcast #15
Papergirls #3 !!!!!!
Postal #9
Saga #33
Spread #12 !!!!!
Wolf #5

Lots of titles not in this months preview! That will help me this month  Cheesy

No Copperhead (Still  Sad ... though I talked to Scott and he said it's coming. Just large hiatus to stockpile)
No Fade Out
No Invincible
No Manifest Destiny
No Morning Glories
No Rat Queens
No Shutter
No Southern Bastards
No Sons of the Devil
No Velvet
No Wicked and Divine

Marvel, once all is said and done (once the ANAD is in full force) I hope to be at about 20 but right now it is in disarray. Just Marvel comics is all my list will let me say  Cheesy

As for my DC, I am pretty set and getting/reading:

Aquaman #48 (Nothing against Bunn, but eagerly awaiting the new writer  Wink)
Batman #48
Detective #48 (Have yet to read one damn issue. Think I will think on this one actually)
Constantine #8
Flash #48
Grayson #16
Justice League #48
Justice League America #7 (already a re-solicit ... here comes the Hitch lateness  Cheesy)
Justice League 3001 #8
Midnighter #8 (for 74¢ @ DCBS  Wink)
Omega Men #8
Astro City #31
Clean Room #4
Lucifer #2 !!!!!!!
Red Thorn #3 (Though those covers make it seem ... not for me, so if it turns sparkly, I'm out)
Unfollow #3

Valiant, who I keep saying I am catching up on next, just adds to the pile, adds to the time!  Grin Grin

Oh, and Danger Club #6 and #7 are both on sale for 35¢ each too, if you've never tried that mini, reading the ending may get you into it.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 05:32:56 PM »

I won't lie; what with dropping comics for a bit (Financially), it allows me to take a good, hard look at my habits and go....really?

I obviously have not been able to read ANAD Marvel. So, perhaps the execution is fine, but right now, I don't like the direction. There is almost zero titles that I truly want to purchase on my own, save the ones that have the same team as before Secret Wars.

DC....well, I just got the last 'Superman' issue from my pre-orders,and it's shit. Just shit. Snyder at least gets to write the essentially same Batman that he wrote pre-New 52, and Green Arrow is good, and Sinestro is the same character/storyline since before N52, and GL can do what it wants in space, but Barry isn't Wally, Wally isn't 'Wally', and Finch's Wonder Woman....isn't anything I want a part of.

I've really enjoyed the Image and Valiant I've been reading. Alot!!! But man...I don't know about the Big Two anymore.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 06:34:09 PM »

I'm with you on the Big Two, Jimmy.  There's just not a lot I can do without there.  I'm loving MU because I'm still reading 2014 comics (Currently running through Fantastic Four).

I actually prefer reading digital now and wish it was cost effective to switch my Image/Valiant/DC reading to that.  I predict I will cut my titles down enough to totally switch sometime next year.  The older issues are cheaper in digital and since moving to Trade is six months behind anyway it may be easy to do.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:36:47 PM »

Jeez guys, you need to get the better titles  Cheesy Wink

I understand your complaints, overall, but aside from being a little tired of Booth's Panels and the Batsuit I am really digging the DC books I am reading. Grayson and Midnighter are like watching a James Bond flick, but with powers. The Justice League stuff is fun as hell and most of the new Vertigo titles are off to a great start, plus Astro City is constantly good for me. Yep, really liking what I am getting from DC

Marvel, I am not sure they are taking any "direction" other than starting again which the big two just has to do every so many years. It's the nature of that particular beast. There is no way around it. But even with that, Ant-Man, Iron-Man, Hercules, Angela, Thor, Ex X-Men and Wolverine have been a blast to read. Absolute fun as hell. I am also looking forward to the New Inhuman title, the Miles title, the new Moon Knight title and even the new Nighthawk title. Heck, add in the Star Wars titles that I am just loving the hell outta of ... nope, not down on Marvel either right now.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying my Image and other publishers as well, hell even more-so, but the big two are doing just fine for me. I guess it all depends on what you want and when you want it.
 Smiley

Regardless, I hope you, Jimmy, find something you can enjoy. There is just too much out there to be down on comics right now.
 Smiley
Heck, give the new Hyperion comic a try when it comes out ... maybe Marvel can do Superman better than DC right now.
 Wink Grin Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 09:53:10 PM »

Marvel, I am not sure they are taking any "direction" other than starting again which the big two just has to do every so many years. It's the nature of that particular beast. There is no way around it. But even with that, Ant-Man, Iron-Man, Hercules, Angela, Thor, Ex X-Men and Wolverine have been a blast to read. Absolute fun as hell. I am also looking forward to the New Inhuman title, the Miles title, the new Moon Knight title and even the new Nighthawk title. Heck, add in the Star Wars titles that I am just loving the hell outta of ... nope, not down on Marvel either right now.

Well, I at least did say I haven't read them yet. Wink Cool

I hope to keep enjoying the ones I liked before (Thor, Ant-Man, Captain America, Dardevil). I have hopes of reading a cool 6 issues of Karnak by Ellis. I'm sure MU will make Cho-Hulk that much better. I'm behind on Angela. MU is great for anything that Bendis writes, and well, same with X-men titles. Star Wars is fine, but, I've read all those kinds of stories and things before. Still fun, but still been there (for me, as a fan). ((and yes, you can say that about all comics in general, but hey, quit qibbling!!  Tongue;)

Again

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 01:26:49 AM »

No, I get what you mean about the SW comics. But damn it man, you should read that Lando mini when it hits MU. That was great.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 01:59:27 AM »

Totally will. Everything ends up being an okay read if I get to scan through it on the tablet in the 25 minutes before going to sleep in bed. I see no reason to skip it. Wink

As long as it's better than Leia, which I don't find that inspiring or eye opening. I like Vader, but whatever tech he gets for his aid around issue 3 needs to be Force-choked and thrown out an airlock. Et chuta!

Don't think I can say enough right now how Aaron has made me such a fan of this Thor he's writing now. I'm really going to miss Remender on Captain America (either of them!) I hope Bunn is up to the task.

I know it sounds like I was really bitching and whining before. I think what I'd rather say is that with a break, I'm allowed to take a bit more stock and step away to wonder 'why' I'm collecting a book.

I say this about Flash. It's fine...but just fine...and sometimes fine isn't really all that much fun to collect. I haven't been wowed by it any form-but I've been fine reading it. It just makes me want to go back to Flash 164 and start reading Johns run for a 4th time instead.

So, if I leave that book behind...do I go for another Image book I've thought of trying? Something...fresh that doesn't irritate me? Sounds like the right thing to do.

But, if I follow in the footsteps of Jeff to really sell off non-essential trades...man, am I in trouble!!! Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 12:27:59 PM »

As long as it's better than Leia, which I don't find that inspiring or eye opening.

It was a good insight into Leia, but not an overly great ... or even really good book. Sadly, the Chewbacca mini is about the same. Just a book that has Chewie in it and not a good Chewie book
 Undecided

Don't think I can say enough right now how Aaron has made me such a fan of this Thor he's writing now. I'm really going to miss Remender on Captain America (either of them!) I hope Bunn is up to the task.

Really love Remenders Cap, though I blasted it at first, mainly due to the horrible new ... over the last 15 years ... JRjr art. Though I really didn't did the story either, until it all played out later. Really good stuff

I know it sounds like I was really bitching and whining before.

Puh-lease. Even if you were so what? You have to sometimes. Don't feel bad, man. God knows I've bitched my fair share around here.

Although I honestly didn't take it as anything other than an internal question/struggle anyway.  Smiley

I say this about Flash. It's fine...but just fine...and sometimes fine isn't really all that much fun to collect. I haven't been wowed by it any form-but I've been fine reading it. It just makes me want to go back to Flash 164 and start reading Johns run for a 4th time instead.

I still need to do that. Of course I still need to go back and read Waids huge run from start to finish as well to see if I can finally figure out this "Speed Force". I jumped in and out of that title for so many years I was always confused about the darn thing.
 Cheesy
I mean, I get what it is by in large, but I want to fully understand the why's and how's of it.

I will read it one day. I got about 7 issues in this last time.  Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 10:04:41 PM »

Placed my order today and it is just like my list above except I dropped Doctor Strange.  I'm gonna pick that up in Marvel Unlimited.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 01:09:46 AM »

Since I got a job (I did!!) I put in my order for next month...Jeff, do you know that the Darkseid War trade there is only about the one shots related to the arc, but not the Justice League issues themselves? I passed on it when I read that.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 02:10:07 AM »

And...hmm....I was looking up the other day on comixology that most of the DC titles drop to 1.99 after being out 6 months.
and that combo price for 6 issues is cheaper by far than buying the 'trade' version. Go figure on that!!

However...is that how I want to go? Buy only the paper trades I want to buy to keep, and go digital on all the rest? Does Valiant have a place to buy stuff for cheap, or is comixology all there is?

Because I've decidedly been looking at waiting to buy from instocktrades instead of doing the pre-order on DCBS for trades as well....$50 seems pretty easy to fill up when looking at trades. So....is that the way I'm going to go?

Hmm....thinking...thinking....

I may cancel my DCBS order...which looks like this:

Ivar Time Walker v3
Bloodshot Reborn v2
Thor v2 Who is Thor?
Thanos Infinity Finale
Cyborg v1
All New Captain America v1
GL #49 Neal Adams Variant (arent' all those Adams variants awesome?!)
Superman: Lois and Clark #5

So....do I cancel that order, then in the same month, order all that stuff from Instock trades, and then wait the 6 months to read the other stuff on comixology? I mean, I'm already doing that with Batman and Justice League, what's a few more titles? Thinking thinking.....

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 03:18:53 AM »

Since I got a job (I did!!) I put in my order for next month...Jeff, do you know that the Darkseid War trade there is only about the one shots related to the arc, but not the Justice League issues themselves? I passed on it when I read that.

Not much time, but wanted to jump in and say that if the others are like the one ... Batman (?) ... one I read, they may be worth getting. It was not only a decent story (crap, I wish I could remember what character it was ... remember, I said decent story, not memorable  Cheesy ) but I seem to remember it being somewhat important to the story. Necessary? Perhaps not, but I think it was tightly wound. And I know I am excited about the Lex Luther one!!!

And I don't think the $1.99 DC comics at Comixology are cheaper than what you can get at DCBS. I know the 2.99 comics there were only !.79 which is 40% off and I think their trades are the same. 40% off I mean.

I am pretty sure Onstock is close to that % off but like you said, with free shipping on $50 (which isn't a lot when you buy them all at once) that is still cheaper than the $1.99 apiece, right?

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 03:59:22 AM »

here we go:

Conan the avenger #23
Darth Vader #17
James Bond #4
Ex-mortis #4
King Conan: Wolves Beyond the Border #3
Star Trek #54
Walking Dead #151
Star Wars #16

All of this was $20 and some odd change, but could I stop there?  NOOOOOOO.

Howard the Duck The Complete Collection Vol. 2
Crossed Vol. 1 (been wanting to try this for a while)
Disney's Silly Symphonies Vol.1 HC

now we're up to $86 with shipping.  That's about right. Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 03:39:21 PM »

Jimmy, Just so you know, I am now questioning my last statement about the Darkseid tie-ins. I just read three more (Superman - Odd, more than good, Flash - Cool, though kinda odd and Green Lantern - Very cool and good) and there is really not much here that you have to have.

It does take a deeper look into ... something I can't say yet as I'm not sure how much you've read  Cheesy ... but they are not as "somewhat important" as I thought. Other than going deeper into the idea of ... well ... you know (or don't)  Cheesy

If it is cheap, I say get it, just for the one shot style stories, but if you pass, no real worries either. I can always tell you what happened.
 Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS