HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:07:16 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Transformers: A New Generation premieres in theaters September 13, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jessica Jones  (Read 15696 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 19, 2015, 06:25:21 PM »

Less than 14 hours for Netflix to open up Jessica Jones.

Already told the wife I am starting at 5:00 A.M, right when she has to clock in at work, as I know she wants to see this.  Grin

Of course as I am staying up late watching Thursday Night Football, I also need her to wake me before she goes to work so maybe my plan is flawed
 Undecided

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 08:00:11 PM »

Man - I've had this on the calendar for weeks but not sure when I'm going to be able to sit and watch it!  Wife and I will be alone starting to Friday thru Thanksgiving since the kiddo will be at grandma's.  You'd think that would be the perfect time but I see a lot of honey do's in my future.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 08:19:31 PM »

Just remember, "honey-do's" go both ways.
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 11:18:40 AM »

Smiley
Spoiler Free Thoughts on...

Episode one

Very impactful. Makes ya feel, for sure.

I was not sold, originally, on Ritter being Jessica. I thought she did a great job in Breaking Bad and her comedy "Don't Trust the B#### in Apartment 23" was too short lived, but just couldn't grasp her being Jessica. Well, she is not the Jessica I pictured, but she may just be better. She was fantastic. Portraying anger, fear, drunk... haha, just all over goodness.

And we all know Luke Cage is here, so no spoiler there, but he was also very well portrayed. Way better than I had hoped, actually.

The other Marvel hero I won't mention as you may ... MAY have missed that spoilage ahead of time, but I hope to see more of ... him/her ...  Wink later as well.

Not trying to say too much, but I will say that this first episode was a good deal better than the first episode of D.D. and I really enjoyed that. This one, with the emotion, just blew that away.

Spend one hour watching episode one and you will be hooked and eagerly awaiting more.

9 outta 10 - Shots of cheap alcohol
 Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 12:21:28 PM »

Episodes 2-5
Again, no spoilers, just a fast chat  Grin

Sadly, both the story and the action took a turn around episode 3 or 4 and by 5 it really goes off the good track. There is a twist in Luke and Jess' relationship that is ... well, I won't even say what it does until more people see it, but ... Me no like.

And the fighting scenes? While DD had me going "oh yeah", this stuff here is like right out of T.J. Hooker (or any other 80's action television show). Pretty damn weak. The fight scenes are just bad. As bad as the sex scenes? Even worse.

Hoping this turns around back to good, as I have really not overly enjoyed the last 3 episodes. Yes, Tennant is great and the first two episodes were really good (even with the overuse of sex) but the past three issues just really ... I don't know ... not suck for me ... but are not as good by any means.
 Undecided
 Undecided

EDIT - I got a little too spoilery and had to edit some out  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 12:28:33 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 02:22:57 PM »

I watched the first 2 eps. Pretty decent. Pretty good.

I think I can answer for myself, but I'll say it: will all these Netflix shows be so damned morose and bleak?

Answer: in creating their 'street level heroes', Marvel/Netflix are casting no illusions about the "real" New York most people live in. Which seems to be utter squalor and depravity.

Even with Daredevil, the show(s) just feel a bit depressing with it's 'no hope for anyone to rise up above the dirt' presentation.

I'm not looking for another Superman the Movie here (and I realize I do have other options available in Flash and Supergirl), but there's a reason I don't watch Law & Order SVU-it bums the shit out of me and makes me feel worse about myself.

First ep ending is so very fierce, and made it a great hook for the series. But it certainly wasn't a high note!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 04:13:21 PM »

In regards to the 'dread' of the show, I see it the opposite, Jimmy. There is a chance at overcoming the very harsh, stark, bleakness that these shows illuminate, in contrast to say the Walking Dead where there is literally no happiness to be found . Or at least no happiness that last for more than a day or two.
 Grin

While these shows (Netflix) do show the darker edge to New York (or the comics that represent that side of that city), they also give us a brightness that WD just can't deliver. I mean, DD beating the Kingpin was such a relief that while it didn't make the vileness wash away, it did give us, the viewer, a sense of relief or satisfaction that someone "paid for the crime". That the 'Hero' did win in the end ... even if it is just for now.
 Wink

I am only about 9 episodes in so far (thankfully it has gotten better again ... the poor writing and direction in spots don't totally ruin the product, but it came close) and I am already despising (loving) the Purple Man and I am looking forward to his ... well ... end or capture or ...
 Wink

But I understand what you mean. On the flip side, I think that is what troubles me about Superman, or early Superman at least. It was too damn bright, too damn happy, too damn fake in comparison to what life really is. Life isn't strolls on golden paved walkways with a warm light of safety shinning down on us, it is harsh at times. It is downright dreary AT TIMES. Not all the time, like in the Walking Dead (that show is just hard to watch over and over as it can be so depressing) and not bright and overly hopeful like the CW (who even with their darkest periods in their shows, struggle in making me feel the slightest bit down or saddened), but it is a combination of both happiness and sadness, hope and despair, light and dark and usually ... usually ... we go through periods of both for awhile before the other rears its head again.
 Undecided

But it is all a matter of taste, for sure. When I step out of my life and into the fictional world, I like the feeling of being saddened or angry at the beginning and through the middle. The struggle makes the story for me. Yet I also like having an ending with a happy or peaceful outcome (Like the movie Bambi  Cheesy or ANY damn Disney movie  Cheesy Cheesy) as it fits what I feel life to be more in tone with. But that's me. Others like their entertainment to be escapism. Either the dread of living life with Zombies  Grin or the glee and brightness a good heartfelt story can bring.

But don't get me wrong, I am certainly one that likes a movie that leaves me pissed off that there was no happy ending also. Like The Mist !!!! Holy Hell that was a gut-wrenching final. Loved it!!!

But getting back to your point ... yeah, these Netflix shows can be a downer.
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 05:38:31 AM »

Got to watch the first two episodes today.  I see what you mean by depressing.  But in spite of that I like it so far. I'm halfway through episode 3 now. Maybe I'll make more progress than I thought!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 01:04:20 PM »

I see what you mean by depressing. 

This from a Walking Dead fan?
 Grin

This should be like X-Men the Animated Series for you  Grin Wink

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 05:12:21 PM »

Without a doubt, I can at least feel the personal struggle, of say, mental disease here. Depression, PTSD, or whatever they are going to call it here-it works. I feel it. I like that. I can see how that will develop and be a theme here. And I'm calling it good.

But damn, bleak is bleak. I want to see some color on the screen at some point! Wink

I can't binge these shows. Can't binge Breaking Bad. Just the content wears on a guy-because it is done well! I know that's the point of the show! Smiley

I just wear that emotion alot when I watch shows like this. It's hard to imagine that these people go on; I'm not sure I could. But they can. And that's why I watch. Smiley

And yes, The Mist was perfect for all those reasons. Much like Storm of the Century, those horrible choices and situations faced, I think, were met just as how I imagine desparate people meet them.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 11:26:54 PM »

I can't binge these shows. Can't binge Breaking Bad. Just the content wears on a guy-because it is done well!

That's the only way I can watch Cheesy I get it all out in one rush. I can watch shows like Flash, which I enjoy the hell outta of, weekly without issue, it is good fun, but things that are just stark or emotionally draining? Those I have to push through in chunks, when I can. I watch WD at least 2, sometimes 3 episodes in a row. I feel I can get the "stink of depression" washed off of me quicker. Like if I watch each week it just starts to permeate my clothes like cigarette smoke. If you have to go to a dive bar, get all your pool playing and darts out in one session, so that smoke doesn't keep getting on your t-shirts each week you go back. Hit that bar once a month and stay longer. That's my thinking (as screwy as it is)
 Grin
Flash I like to sit on me for awhile. Let that odor linger week after week
 Grin

Perhaps that is why I like my Image books in HC as well? Just an impromptu insight into my psyche perhaps?

Maybe I like the darker edged stories in collected volumes as, while I enjoy the hell out of them, deep down I just want it to be over? Monthly titles need to be more bright? Happy? Hmmm ... maybe.

And yes, The Mist was perfect for all those reasons. Much like Storm of the Century, those horrible choices and situations faced, I think, were met just as how I imagine desparate people meet them.

Yeah, man. Exactly
 Cool

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 01:15:38 AM »

I see what you mean by depressing. 

This from a Walking Dead fan?
 Grin

This should be like X-Men the Animated Series for you  Grin Wink

I just meant I get what Jimmy is saying.  Didn't say I didn't enjoy it.   Tongue

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 05:59:45 PM »

I just meant I get what Jimmy is saying.  Didn't say I didn't enjoy it.   Tongue

I know  Cheesy Just seemed weird to see you call this show depressing due to ... that thing happening ... when you enjoy a show with so much worse being presented on a weekly basis.

It was just a joke.  Wink

Having said that and being done with all episodes, all I will say (still spoiler free) is that this started so much better than DD, so much that I had my hopes really set high that this puppy was going to be even better overall, I am left with some feeling of disappointment. There are a lot of things wrong with this show. Lots. From the horrible fighting sequences to the needless and poorly used sex scenes this show just missed on its way to topping DD.

Not that it isn't still a good watch, it is ... by in large. Heck, I am still glad they made it, I am still glad I watched it. Fact is that the missteps didn't ruin the experience as badly as they could have and in fact, I think that shows just how strong this show could've have been. I mean even with all the mistakes (perceived solely by me or otherwise), I still ended up enjoying the show. That says something, right?

Funny thing about the ending, again still spoiler free, is that they make actual mention of an issue I had with countless other scenes. They literally point out a problem with the shows writing as a plot function of the ending. Quite hilarious to me.
Can't wait to discuss that with you guys!!!!!
 Cheesy Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 07:24:34 PM »

With the wife still out of town at a conference until after 10, I figure I'll hammer out 2-3 with dinner tonight then.  Cool

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 03:21:44 PM »

I had a facepalm of epic proportions last night.

Hero best friend! Who? What hero? Her name is Trish.

Trish Walker....Trish, a nickname from Patricia....which also creates a little used nickname of...Patsy....

Patsy Walker, aka Hellcat.

sumnabitch! Idiot!! I was glad to see a bit of Patsy's veeerrrryyy early history briefly  mentioned with all the teen/hearthrob magazines that she was a star of.  Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS