HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 10:46:58 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Martian  (Read 7668 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: October 09, 2015, 01:27:38 PM »

...was Fantastic!!!! Just loved it! Was so happy that a movie could still make me experience awe and wonder at its subject, and make me hope (when, c'mon, you know the ending) and dream of what happens as being something we could lift ourselves up to aspire to! Can't wait to read the book, but man, what a movie!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 03:03:21 PM »

Great to hear!  I want to see this - I like Matt Damon and the previews really looked good.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 08:30:26 PM »

Just saw this and while I enjoyed it, I also kind of struggled with it as well. Not that there was anything wrong with the acting, writing, directing, lighting, et al, but, well, I think I would have enjoyed it more in book form.

As a movie it kinda loses weight for me as, missing any real antagonist ... other than an entire planet (Yes, I know, I get that aspect) I lose the "fear" or I never get the "oomph' of satisfaction when "we" prevail. Perhaps it is also from the fact I knew the ending, but I don't know, I think it is from the fact that it is a one person cast, in relation to going up against the situation, ya know? I mean, throw a few more people with him, where I could worry about THEIR safety as well, and maybe I feel more into the movie. But having just one guy and knowing he is safe by the credits roll just made the movie a good movie and not a great one.
I am sitting here trying to think of any "like minded" movies where the environment was against just one person and I can't think of any off hand. I would love to know if I felt the same about other movies just like this.
Again, I liked it, but didn't at anytime feel as invested or worried as I like to be in these types of movies. Hell, Apollo 13 had me on the edge of my seat and I still knew how that ended, but it also had a couple of characters that I could worry about. I had even thought to myself during that movie - "Did they ALL make it back?"  Grin This movie, while certainly a feel good movie and one that showcases our need to explore (If we spent even a quarter of our spending on NASA that we spend on War ... oh, excuse me, I mean on peace  Roll Eyes imagine where we would be. Where we could be.)
Cry

But at the end of the day I was glad I took the time to watch. Pretty "sciency" until
the "bomb" part when the the guy just poured liquid Oxygen into a cylinder without any measuring? Space explosions are REALLY bad when you don't calculate the explosive force, there buddy   Roll Eyes

Oh Yeah ..
7 outta 10 - "I am Iron Man"s
 Smiley
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:33:30 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS