HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 06:34:49 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Title and pull list help?  (Read 5641 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 21, 2015, 11:58:27 PM »

Okay, as you guys know I am trying to get my digital stuff under control so I can start reading and, more importantly, start staying on track with reading the issues I am getting. Well, I have decided to drop two of these four titles, just for now (I will get back to them, just not going to get them right now ... unless something major happens that I need to know about or keep up on). So two of these are going on my "2015 back order list"
 Grin

I am currently up to issue #38 on Flash, and while this savage land is not blowing me away, I am enjoying it somewhat. So much so that I would like to keep going with the title. So I guess I should say I am interested in your thoughts on the remaining three titles. The three titles are -

Aquaman
Green Lantern
Green Arrow

I have not read any of these, in depth, but certainly nothing since the "DC Preview - Sneak Peak" issues. I mean I have no idea what is going on with this titles except to know that Hal is mad about something and he is in space with a glove.
 Cheesy Cheesy

So, can anyone help me decide what other title I will continue to grab currently and which two titles go into the "2015 Back Order List" to be read somewhere down the line?

I am leaning towards Aquaman, but ...  mean ... are there anymore Aquaman stories to be told? Yes Johns brought a certain swagger to Arthur, but how many times can one read about "Danger to the Oceans"  or "Black Manta, Blue Death" or "Sea Master attacks!!!" I am not saying it can't be done, but I just don't know. Plus, is the art decent? the writing?

If not that one I suppose I would lean towards GL. Only because of the different types of stories that can be told due to the vastness of space. But if the character is acting like a jerk, that kinda kills it for me. Also, the art and writing are important.

Next there is the Green Arrow. Always coming up last for me even though I enjoy the character. Even the one that was a jerk because that is who he is.  Cheesy But while I know little to nothing about the recent happenings of GL or Arthur, I know even less about the current going ons relating to Ollie. I know I like/loved the art when ... crap ... you know who was on the title (I can't believe I lost his name) I also know I wanted nothing to do with Ollie when the TV stuff started to slide over into the comic. In fact, if that is still going on we can stop even thinking about adding this ... no-way do I want THAT Ollie. I want 1975 Ollie more than hunk'afied sparkle eyes.
 Grin

So what ya think? Which two should I place in the "to be read later" pile?

Thanks
 Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 02:41:28 AM »

Current Green Arrow by Percy and Zircher is not a reprint of the tv show. Ollie is living in Seattle, taking care of his half-sister Emiko (because he's the only one who can have custody). He's not a billionaire crusader; but he's a guy who stalks the streets at night because he can take care of those who can't do it themselves.

After JEFF LEMIRE and ANDREA SORRENTINO's ( Cool name drops!) excellent run, I'm really enjoying this. It's a man, his city, and a man who is unphased walking down the street in costume to talk to people he just helped. Hell, he's got a mystic pet wolf now too! (which was the focus of the last month's issue, and it was AWESOME just to read it!).

So, I think in the realm of enjoying something because a story begs you continue reading it, I think you'll like Green Arrow best over the other two.

I do read all 3 you have thought of. I'm enjoying now where Aquaman has been heading, for sure. Not sure if you would really like all things art wise with it. It's grown on me, and in the A-man's thread, I even gushed a bit how the last issue really took me.

Green Lantern has been interesting, and I've enjoyed it quite a lot. The 90s look of long hair, trench jacket, and goofy leotard isn't my favorite, but whatever. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 01:00:01 AM »

Thanks, man.

So what you're telling me is to keep them all?  Wink

Just hard for me to cut any of them, but here is what I have for my DC reading, including Vertigo titles (American Vampire is ending/taking hiatus after issue 11).

Astro City
Lucifer - Can't wait for this !!!!
Red Thorn - This may be too "Twilighty", but hoping not
Batman
Detective
Batgirl
Grayson
Constantine
Cyborg
Aquaman
Flash
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Justice League 3001
Justice League
Justice League America
Martian Manhunter
Midnighter
Lobo & Omega Men as long as they last
and
The Batman DKIII - Master Race and the Batman & Robin Eternal mini-series

Edit - Crap, I forgot about the Teen Titans mini that is around the corner.

I cut down and I'm still over 20 in JUST DC?? WTF !!!???!!??
 Angry Angry Angry
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 01:01:35 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 04:30:54 AM »

Ha! Your no longer a Marvel zombie!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 11:44:32 AM »

Ha! Your no longer a Marvel zombie!

Cheesy
Yes, I am buying a tad more DC  Wink ... but you should see that Marvel list  Grin

And saying that, you should see my Image list. I have almost become more an Image Vampire than a Marvel Zombie. I'm just sucking up all I can of that company.
Vampire
Sucking
Bah-Dum-Dum.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

So many good/great creator owned titles out there right now. I mean how does one choose between all these great titles? And these are just the ones that I have tried ... had at least a peak at, if not read at least an issue and enjoyed.

Autumnlands (Tooth & Claw)
Beauty - Fantastic book
Birthright
Bitch Planet
Black Science
Chew             
Copperhead
Deadly Class
Descender
Dream Police
Dying and the Dead
East of West
Empty Zone
Fade Out
Five Ghosts
Fuse
Invincible
Invisible Republic
Island
Kaptara
Lazarus
Manifest Destiny
Material
Morning Glories
Nailbiter
Outcast
Postal
Rasputin
Rat Queens
Revival
Saga
Secret I.D. 
Shutter
Sons of the Devil
Southern Bastards
Spread
Tokyo Ghost
Velvet
Walking Dead
Wicked and Divine
Wolf
Wytches

Not to mention the two Warren Ellis books I will have to try when they go on sale -
Trees
Injection

Or the few books I know I want to read, but have yet to truly try -
Low
Manhatten Projects Sun Beyond the Stars
Sex Criminals

Or the mini's I am going to try again when they are all out -
Nameless
The Jupiter Series

Yes, it was nice to cut a couple books that just ended up being less enjoyable than I wished -
Faster Than Light
Southern Cross

But that doesn't begin to make up for the titles that are hitting soon that I want to try -
Black Magic
Codename Babushka
Goddamned
Hadrian’s Wall
Huck
One %
Papergirls

And that is only the Image side. What about the other companies that are putting out great creator owned stuff like -

Abstract -
Rachel Rising - Terry Moore's must buy for me

God is Dead - Not anti-religion as it sounds  Grin Mythological Gods fighting each other on Earth, essentially.
Mercury Heat - A cop on Mars not named Arnold
Uber - Damn Dave!!! What if the Germans had Supermen during WWII?
War Stories - Ennis WWII stories. Love Ennis and love WWII stories (and Dave knew that and forced Uber on me)

Boom -
Arcadia - More to it but, a virus starts wiping out Earth's population, survivors are coded into a computer program
The Woods - A small town schools occupants vanishes and wakes up in the woods. But where are these woods?

Oni -
Hellbreak - A group of people try to break into Hell to pull someone out
Letter  44 - Congrats, you just won the Presidency of the U.S. ... now read this letter!
Stumptown - Like Reeces cups, two great things combined. A P.I. story and Greg Rucka

So much great stuff!!!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 05:15:17 PM »

I didn't like Nameless.  Finishing it out but turned out being unmemorable.

Ok.  You might as well list out your Marvel stuff here too.  Gotta see the full insanity your going through.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 05:52:48 PM »

I didn't like Nameless.  Finishing it out but turned out being unmemorable.

Ok.  You might as well list out your Marvel stuff here too.  Gotta see the full insanity your going through.

Cheesy Cheesy

Well other than all the Secret Wars tie-in stuff (that thankfully is almost finished), right now it is "easy-peasy lemon squeezy" to list my Marvel titles as I only have Cap White, Dark Tower: Lady of .... I forgot the title, but it is the newest comic from Stephen King's Dark Tower adaption ... and Miracleman.

But I had plans ... and even sold my physical Batman comics in order to help pay for this ... to try at least three issues of most all the new number ones coming out of Marvel. Other than Silk which I have literally no interest in even trying, as well as a one or two more titles that I may have cut from the following list (the ones with the asterisk "*" I am only giving one issue to grab me or they are getting cut. Not messing around with them):

ANAD Avengers
New Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
A-Force
* Contest of Champions *
Howling Commandoes
Illuminati
Inhumans
Uncanny Inhumans
S.H.I.E.L.D (See note at bottom)
Squadron Supreme
The Ultimates
Weirdworld
Astonishing Ant-Man
* Angela *
Black Knight
Black Panther
Black Widow
* Blade *
Captain America (Sam)
Captain Marvel
Citizen V book, whatever the name will be
Daredevil
* Death’s Head * if the rumor is true
Dr. Strange
Hawkeye
Hercules
Howard Duck
* Hulk *
Iron Man
Karnak
* Moon Girl /  Devil Dinosaur *
Moon Knight (just announced)  Smiley
Miss Marvel
Patsy Walker - Hellcat
Red Wolf
Scarlet Witch
Silver Surfer (just announced)
Thor
Unbeatable Squirl Girl
Vision
Amazing Spidey
Spider-Man
* Spidey 2099 *
Spider Woman
* Spider-Gwen *
* Carnage *
Web Warriors*
Guardians  Gal
* Drax *
Nova
Starlord
* Venom (in space) *
Old Man Logan
All New X-Men
Extrod  X-Men
Uncann X-Men
Wolverine x23
* Deadpool *

SHIELD note - Not sure if this title is continuing now as it was suppose to have stopped for Guggenheim's Agents of Shield #1 (which I would not have bought if you tied me to a tree and threaten to poured honey all over my body as Bill O'Reilly licked it off while the FOX News anchors gave me their version of the weekly news)
 Tongue

But now, with that Batman title sale, I am not sure I am gonna make it. I really want that first Nightwing run and that Robin one is staring at me as well.
So very, very hard to pass on under a dollar comics. Even digital ones.

Cheesy Grin Undecided

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS