HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:47:10 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Final Crisis & Multiversity-an introspective study  (Read 6106 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: September 14, 2015, 02:45:47 AM »

Coming tomorrow! Cool Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 06:23:17 PM »

Waiting with bated breath!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 01:15:36 AM »

Waiting to learn something ... and not be confused  Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 05:08:59 AM »

‘Final Crisis’ may be my most favorite DC work that exemplifies what Grant Morrison can write and actualize as the greatest highlight of DC’s published world.

It’s a story of the greatest heroics in the face of greatest evil. Darkseid and the gods of the Fourth World have failed, been felled; died. However, that was the Fourth World. To rise again and establish a Fifth Age, a Fifth World, evil will rise on earth as Darkseid’s followers work to restore him to power. And they do. And evil wins. (Far better than in ‘Forever Evil.’)

In this, Morrison makes the New Gods into such as they are-gods. They are beings far mightier and far more than what the greatest of DC heroes are. As such, the ideas are bigger, the machinations are bigger, and the results are greater.

That’s what Morrison does-he goes bigger. While you may be able to label the story as dense, which it is incredibly so, I’d rather call it rich. Morrison writes as if every writer’s story ever told in the DC universe is a spectral shade standing over his shoulder, guarding at being forgotten or misused. While their stories are gone, with the continuity details forgotten, the idea of them lives on in how Morrison treats that universe. That the idea of what DC comics has become; the idea of what imagination and theatrical expression of creativity can say is what is paramount to any Crisis.

That’s what the heroes a battle-an idea. Darkseid’s minions have fallen to the Anti-Life equation. In Darkseid, there is only subjugation.  Subjugation to evil means no thought, no freedom, nothing worth living for. They fight to give life to everyone. So, Morrison expresses this idea through the physical fight manifestations on earth, as the remaining heroes join together to fight back against the physical minions of Darkseid, based out of Command center D. But, the higher ideal of fighting evil is left to Superman, in all honesty.

So, perhaps that’s another reason I love this so much. To a degree, it’s about 1/3 of one of the greatest Superman stories ever told. You cannot read Final Crisis without having read Superman Beyond 1 & 2. Traveling with a Monitor, and a host of other superman from the 52 worlds, they seek to stop a greater evil, since this crisis is occurring everywhere, and it’s mostly due to the Monitor’s fault as well. It’s the idea, and the ideal of Superman that creates the win here. It’s hard to go into specifics here, as so much of the combat there, the fight, the reasoning-all that comes down how Superman must act when faced against evil-he MUST triumph; he must fight with every fiber of his being. It’s who he is. He can’t do anything less. Good vs Evil. Ideas matter. Ideas are all.

This is also mirrored in the Batman issues where Darkseid’s minions try to break Batman-but you can’t break what he is-you can’t break the idea of Batman! Batman is absolute! Batman’s life is pain and loss and anger-but it’s what he does with all of that to become who he is. That is unchangeable. These 2 issues highlight so much of why Batman is so beloved as he is-and truly so. 1/3 of one of the greatest Batman stories ever told.

This is all interwoven with the story of a monitor, Nix Uotan, an exile to earth (due to events in Countdown’s year long story-this also explains how Earth-51 was a complete graveyard for Kamandi’s world to grow from).  It’s so large, so sprawling, but so important to the survival of the DC universe. Why? The Monitor was there to herald and see the <first> near destruction of DC comics in COIE. The Monitors always watch what occurs within the Orrery of Worlds. For them, it is a story. And the story of how DC comics almost comes to ruin due to Darkseid’s near success is the greatest crisis its ever faced.

Ideas sprawl, take on new life, ideas change. And that’s what happened to the Monitors, and why they had to leave. That’s the Final Crisis-what to do when everything changes too much? The Monitors helped bring this on, as they couldn’t keep themselves removed from the story, so, they are removed from the story of DC Comics.

Morrison’s ideas move back and forth so swiftly from the paneled fight to the imagined counter-structure of fourth wall breakdowns of ideas being fought. For me, it’s an amazing tapestry of heroics and grand ideas. (That's the other 1/3 part-its one of DC's greatest stories for me!!) It’s the beginning of creating a universe(ie a story) that lives and breathes for everyone who reads it-that’s the idea Morrison carried into The Multiversity. All that imagination is there for the taking-just pick up a book and read. It will live again!

If anything, this just gives me hope. My DC comics are there-or at least, still out there, based a big on how Convergence went to change things. My books and heroes are alive because I read them. Because I imagine them out there. Because others do so as well. They can live again!

This also cements just how big a fan I am of Doug Mahnke. I love his face renderings, I love the power he brings into Superman. JG Jones is fantastic-always is. Backgrounds, the weight he puts into characters, just love it. Carlos Pacheco? Ivan Reis? Love’em to death! My boys!! But Doug Mahnke? Now, that was truly THE MAN to finish this up, I tell ya.

I realize this didn’t go into specifics of issues themselves. I’m just as happy to discuss that as well. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 05:09:55 AM »

This took me a while, and I'm still not sure I did justice to what my heart feels, or how my imagination soars when wishing to discuss this and actualize what I believe after having read this.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 12:35:26 PM »

Be back to read soon, my man  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 02:25:12 PM »

Okay, just read your post. Good stuff. Better than Final Crisis and Multiversity was for me.
 Grin

Maybe I just didn't give them enough of a chance, but ... no, on second thought, I just didn't enjoy Final Crisis or Multiversity anywhere close to what you did ... as much as you did. There isn't much I could even add to the discussion except to say just that.

I did enjoy your post however, Jimmy  Cool And maybe a re-read of Crisis/Multi down the line would serve me better than it did trying to read the single issues as they came out (I didn't even finish either title originally), so perhaps you got me going that way.
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 03:03:38 PM »

There is no doubt that there is much that just seems nonsense. The Overvoid, Masters of Nil, Mandrakk, Dax Novu, so much just sort of made up on the spot for the issues. So often, what I do enjoy is that there is a story behind it-one we've never seen-but within the context of being told, it does make sense.

Now, mind you, Multiversity was still so much seeming gibberish! There are beings on the outside of existence wanting to destroy us. What I loved, after rereading the first issue again was watching the Monitor Nix Uotan responding the panel sizes and shapes and fearing the changes that was occurring. I got it this time!! Rereading Ultra Comics, which Morrison calls one of his favorite works, is still so damned trippy. By reading it, We, the viewer, provide the voice of the hero (Ultra)-(who is self aware of his nature too)-who then becomes aware of us as the voice in his head. So damned trippy!!! So fucking weird!!!

Some times I wonder if I sound like the guys I used to hate talking about Morrison's New X-men. Like, you gotta be thinking "Jim is crazy. Morrison could say that clouds are actually cotton candy, and Jim would defend it."

I think I just love Morrison's ability to make me smile with glee at a comic that is writing bigger than the media, yet it fits so well in with the hero icons presented. So weird. So cool.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 03:24:35 PM »

What??  Clouds AREN'T cotton candy?!?!?!?   Shocked

Grin

I don't remember enjoying Final Crisis but I may have been jaded by Infiniate Crisis and re-read is due.  I also think I got lost on where Batman died.  I do remember liking the Legion Final Crisis mini though.  Comixology has the Final Crisis collected edition for $12.99.

Multiversity - I enjoyed a lot of these single issues but got lost in what the whole thing is about.  I think a re-read of this back to back might be something I need to do.  Ultra absolutely was the best of the bunch and I could read that over and over.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 02:41:02 AM »

Multiversity - I enjoyed a lot of these single issues but got lost in what the whole thing is about.  I think a re-read of this back to back might be something I need to do.  Ultra absolutely was the best of the bunch and I could read that over and over.

Wanna have fun? Reread Ultra Comics #1 and read Ultra's panels out loud to yourself. Then, you get some good fun stuff going!!!  Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS