HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:49:32 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Reading List - 7/27/2015  (Read 8397 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 27, 2015, 07:40:03 PM »

Been moving a little faster.  Now into November of 2013.

This week I'm reading:

Cataclysm: The Ultimates Last Stand #1
Cataclysm: Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1
Cataclysm: Ultimates #1
Cataclysm: Ultimate X-Men #1
Cataclysm: The Ultimates Last Stand #2
Cataclysm: Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #2
Cataclysm: Ultimates #2
Cataclysm: Ultimate X-Men #2
Cataclysm: The Ultimates Last Stand #3
Cataclysm: Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #3
Cataclysm: Ultimates #3
Cataclysm: Ultimate X-Men #3

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 01:13:22 AM »

i started reading cataclysm when they hit MU but lost track because the release schedule was uneven and not in order.  may have to go back and reread those now that they are all out.

I am currently up to date with on MU and reading the books released this week.

Read Star Wars #1 this morning...that is a great book and reads very much like the actors are speaking th elines.  looking forward to this greatly

Spider-Woman #3 (spiderVerse Tie in)
Wolverines #4 weekly series
Thor #4...this has been fun so far
Spider-Man and the X-men #2...love Spidey as screw up teacher...he did a great job in similar stories with Avenger Academy and Future Foundation and this 1st issue was a good start
Secret Avengers #12...this has been fun too and is coming to an end within a few more issues
New Avengers #29...Time Runs Out in 4 months
Inhumans #11...kind of all over the map but interested in how they progress
Invaders #14...this has been a fun/weird book main badguys have been Kree and Eternals
SheHulk #12...good title so far

will probably reread:
MoonKnight #11...love me some MK...bought these monthly but always reread when they hit MU
SpiderVerse TeamUp #2...honestly dont remember what happened here...i think i bought it off the rack but cant seem to find it
Uncanny #31(axis) and New X-Men #37...if i have time.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 02:50:12 PM »

I'm not going to lie; I've really been enjoying Uncanny X-men by Bendis. I mean, utterly ridiculous, and it's only infighting amongst the same people for issues on end, but I'm enjoying the drama of it nonetheless.

Jimmy T since 2001
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 04:34:37 PM »

i still read uncanny and new off the rack but dont always remember what the hell is going on (stupid 47yr old brain Wink ) so i sometimes reread them in MU.  Especially with AXIS.  Alex was one of the inverted heros and was a real racist ass against the humans and...
and was one of the 3 that didn't revert back but recent issues on Uncanny has him joining up with Scott as if nothing happened
i'm trying to piece it together.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 02:04:55 AM »

I'm not going to lie; I've really been enjoying Uncanny X-men by Bendis. I mean, utterly ridiculous, and it's only infighting amongst the same people for issues on end, but I'm enjoying the drama of it nonetheless.

Because falling off that damn stool twice was just not quite enough, Jimmy now makes me fall out of my chair.
 Grin Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 03:33:57 AM »

Side note, I'm really backed up on MU:

Spider-verse Epilogue of Uncanny
Star Wars  1 & 2
Darth Vader 1
Squirrel Girl 1 & 2
Thor
Avengers World
Uncanny X-men

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 12:22:43 PM »

I enjoyed Squirrel Girl more than I expected. The art is certainly different, but the tone of the book helped put it all together.

Love what her pet squirrel sees  Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 02:52:56 PM »

make sure to read all the comments in the margins at the bottom of each page.  some are very funny.

it has been a fun book so far.  wouldn't pay $4 an issue but I am enjoying this on MU
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 05:26:03 PM »

make sure to read all the comments in the margins at the bottom of each page.  some are very funny.

it has been a fun book so far.  wouldn't pay $4 an issue but I am enjoying this on MU

Oh yeah, reading them all.  Grin and I agree on the $4 value. Not THAT much of a fan. But I will say it's worth the read for 99¢ an issue
 Smiley

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 11:04:11 PM »

Perry...bit the bullet already and buy the $70 sub and wait the 6 months.  you will ready that much in 1 month and then its all free. 

here's what I've read in the last 3 weeks:

release to MU Aug2

Rocket Raccoon #8
Guardians of the Galaxy & X-Men: The Black Vortex Alpha #1
Marvel's Ant-Man Prelude #1
Ant-Man #2
Operation: S.I.N. #2
Star Wars #2
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #2
Angela: Asgard's Assassin #3
Hulk #11
The Punisher #15
Avengers #41

Released on Aug9:

Guardians Team-Up #1
All-New Captain America #4
Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man #10
Ms. Marvel #12
Darth Vader #1
Bucky Barnes: Winter Soldier #5
Guardians 3000 #5
Cyclops #10
All-New Ghost Rider #11
Captain Marvel #12
Wolverines #5

Released Aug16

Silver Surfer #10
New Avengers #30
Fantastic Four #643
Captain America & the Mighty Avengers #5
Deathlok #5
Black Widow #15
Avengers World #17
Thanos Vs. Hulk #3
Spider-Woman #4
Thor #5
Wolverines #6
X-Force #15

if purchase at 3:99 a pop that would be $135 or $ 115 with a 15% discount (not counting tax).  $34 at .99...and that not even a full month of books or every book released.

my monthly trip to the LCS cost me $41 for books between July15 and Aug 15, I'm hoping to cut that in half once All New marvel kicks off.

come on, once you get past the first 6 months its easy.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 12:06:17 AM »

Wringer my man, I would be all over MU if it wasn't for their "Reader". That has been the only thing keeping me away for years. I first tried MU ... hell, I can't even remember how many years ago now  Cheesy ... and once a year or so, I pop back in to see if they have a new reader that works as well as it should. I was spoiled by COW (Comics On the Web) years ago and I just can't go back to a lesser reader interface.

Jimmy is right, the newest one (or the one they had a few months ago) was probably the best yet, and I honestly didn't find too much that bothered me ... me and my anal, picky, old ass  Cheesy Cheesy but it just wasn't quite right. I didn't like the zoom and ... something else.

Neither aspect that bothered me was terrible, again, looked like the best they have had so far, and I could probably get use to it, so I may jump back in someday. I mean I am getting so far behind on my DC/Marvel stuff now the transition wouldn't be too hard (except for, like Jeff, when that new Dr. Strange hits  Cheesy) so who knows, I may jump back in ... if that reader is still decent.

But I am honestly super stoked about a ton of those new Marvel titles coming out here next month, October and beyond, so I can't miss the start of those. Plus I am thinking about working on something for another site, so I kinda have to read/study those for at least three months ... if I do it (nothing big, just something Dave, myself and another couple guys may get going ... maybe)

But back to MU ... I may try it again soon. I have yet to try it on my tablet, as I just got my first tablet not too long ago, but a lot of comic money ago
 Cheesy Cheesy

But I am honestly glad you are cutting your spending down  Smiley

It's just really hard for me to be "outta the loop" for 6 months. It is why it took me so long to switch to trades. I just had to stay on top of stuff as a lot of guys I know ... okay ... about 3 or 4 of the guys I know  Cheesy, talk a lot about comics. A lot. Especially Dave. Trying to avoid all their talk (his talk alone) was just hard to do. I like talking comics.

All that said, I think I will have an easier go of it once Dave gets married. Ha, man, she doesn't even live with him yet so ... hahahaha ....  HAHAHAHA  it's going to be such a culture shock to him HAHAHAHA.

So yeah, I'll get there eventually.
 Smiley

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 02:10:00 AM »

I hear ya...MU on PC is not a great experience, reading or finding the books you want to read....just not very intuitive.  the android/iOS app is very different and far better experience.  that said...I've never used a different reader so I have no idea what I may be missing Smiley

Since moving to Arkansas 6 yrs ago (wow time flies) I really don't have anyone to talk comics to regularly except my LCS guy and you guys.  my last couple bosses were big DC guys so we would just argue Smiley  I am looking forward to some of the New Marvel but I've gotten to a point that as long as i'm reading I don't need to be there for the day and date release.

anyway...hope whatever you have planned works out.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 02:18:08 AM »

anyway...hope whatever you have planned works out.

I'm hoping it won't  Cheesy I don't have time now as it is  Grin

But yeah man, if you can hold out, no reason not to use the heck out of MU. "Bad" reader or not.  Smiley

(And anytime you want to "talk" comics, just give me a call)
 Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS