HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 12:21:53 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Armchair Editing Marvel  (Read 6249 times)
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« on: July 17, 2015, 09:28:16 PM »

Hey, guys.  Hope you're all doing well.  Sorry for the long absence - or maybe "you're welcome" to some of you  Grin.

Goofing around I wrote up 52 titles I would put out and with which creative teams if I had the choice.

I realize Marvel puts out more than 52, but it just seemed like an okay enough number as any.

Feel free to check it out here:
http://jwardwrites.tumblr.com/post/124277017516/armchair-editing-marvel

I'd like to read your takes and responses.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 09:45:29 PM »

I notice only 2 X-men books. I say good planning. Cheesy

Slott can leaving Spidey any day now. He trips up more often than he flies. I won't even read his stuff for free on Unlimited.

Gage would be fun to see on Iron Man, I think. And Garney is always awesome!

I love me some PAD. ....just not sure he would have put more gas into the tank to make that trek again on Hulk.

Cool call with Hester writing/Drawing Daredevil! Too good.

Keeping Aaron Thor is right. Romita Jr. has gone so far beyond the great, most recent run of his on Thor that I find putting him on any book is a mistake now. Doug Braithwaite is busy doing Valiant books, but I bet he'd be great on Thor...(again? Can't remember if he did the book already!)

BKV was/is great on Strange, and yes to Marcos Martin!

I also see a lotta personal 90s love in there, with choice of characters/books, and writers too. But Priest on both of the Heroes for Hire would be awesome anyways. Cheesy

I thematically hate Kid Nova on principle, so I want him gone. I haven't read his series, but I just can't stand seeing the kid in snippets of stuff here or there.

Love the idea of Joe Hill on Punisher.

Now, PAD on Thunderbolts? I feel like he'd find that other hidden gear he always has to put the pedal to the metal again to make this team just be...something it wasn't quite before. Wink

No Fantastic Four in there...and no Bendis either! Cheesy

I doubt Rucka would do any street level stuff any more, but Brubaker would seem to be doing nothing but writing Black Widow stuff currently.

I think the biggest, goofiest thing I would love, I wouldn't care how it would be!! would be to see Warren Ellis do some space/galaxy event thing with my love, Genis Vell Captain Marvel with the cosmic awareness. OH, that tale....

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 08:30:11 PM »

My thoughts as I read down your list:

The Mighty Thor
·         Jason Aaron (W)/John Romita Jr.
·         No way - not JRJ as the artist.  That would ruin the book.

Avengers: International
Defenders
·         Keith Giffen & J.M. DeMatteis
·         Now this would be interesting.  Especially with them on Defenders.

Dr. Strange
Cloak & Dagger
·         Brian K. Vaughan (W)
·         Yes, yes, yes.  I would buy both of these books with Brian K writing them.

Guardians of the Galaxy
·         Jay Faerber (W)/Jamal Igle (A)
·         Very interesting putting Faerber on GotG.  He could make this fun again.

Thunderbolts
·         Peter David (W)/Tom Raney (A)
·         EXCELLENT choice.  Like Jimmy said above, PAD would bring out some really interesting minor characters and make them great on this title.  How can we make this happen??  I want it!!!!!!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 03:11:37 AM »

I notice only 2 X-men books. I say good planning. Cheesy

Slott can leaving Spidey any day now. He trips up more often than he flies. I won't even read his stuff for free on Unlimited.

Gage would be fun to see on Iron Man, I think. And Garney is always awesome!

I figured Marvel won't be doing too much with them anymore.  A great time to scale back on the X-Men.  Though I think I still put top notch talent on it.  Sean Murphy is the best artist going as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not a "X" guy and I'd consider checking it out just for him.

Haven't kept up with Slott's Spidey.  It's a top seller, I think, so I figured stick with it.

Gage's take on Stark was on point in that Civil War book he did.  Add some actual fun into his run and it would be very refreshing.

I love me some PAD. ....just not sure he would have put more gas into the tank to make that trek again on Hulk.

Cool call with Hester writing/Drawing Daredevil! Too good.

Keeping Aaron Thor is right. Romita Jr. has gone so far beyond the great, most recent run of his on Thor that I find putting him on any book is a mistake now. Doug Braithwaite is busy doing Valiant books, but I bet he'd be great on Thor...(again? Can't remember if he did the book already!)

Yeah, PAD on Hulk felt desperate to me too.  It's "been there done that," but the man knows what he's doing with Hulk.  My first pick would've been Hester, though I can't see him writing and drawing one book then having time to write a second one. (FYI, I'd pick him to write that Defenders book too) Hester and Huddleston created one of my favorite books in The Coffin.  Putting them back together, and on Hulk... damn. 
BKV was also considered, but having him do minis seemed more "realistic" with his schedule.

Speaking of Hester... for over 10-years he's been easily my favorite writer in comics.  Easily. 
I recall reading a Tweet of his talking about how rare it is to see a writer/artist doing double duty any more.  Especially, on a Big Two comic.  That's what gave me the idea.  I was going to either pick Hester (as I like his art too) or Jason Latour. 

I was not familiar with Doug Braithwaite until your post... now I want to amend my post and pick him.  Good call.  I'm still a huge JR jr. fan, but it's tough to fine a book at Marvel he hasn't done.

BKV was is great on Strange, and yes to Marcos Martin!

I also see a lotta personal 90s love in there, with choice of characters/books, and writers too. But Priest on both of the Heroes for Hire would be awesome anyways. Cheesy

I thematically hate Kid Nova on principle, so I want him gone. I haven't read his series, but I just can't stand seeing the kid in snippets of stuff here or there.

Love the idea of Joe Hill on Punisher.

Only person on Dr. Strange that would interest me is BKV or Hester.

It feels like Marvel spent the 2000's giving 70's/80's characters another chance.  I figured some 90's guys were due.

I haven't had any experience with Kid Nova except seeing the occasional online preview.

I'd give the Punisher character a short rest, personally.  However, with him popping up on Season 2 of Daredevil it seemed like another series with the same tone would be a better way to go.  In some ways Castle is a horror character and he's definitely based in revenge, so why not Hill?

Now, PAD on Thunderbolts? I feel like he'd find that other hidden gear he always has to put the pedal to the metal again to make this team just be...something it wasn't quite before. Wink

No Fantastic Four in there...and no Bendis either! Cheesy

I doubt Rucka would do any street level stuff any more, but Brubaker would seem to be doing nothing but writing Black Widow stuff currently.

I think the biggest, goofiest thing I would love, I wouldn't care how it would be!! would be to see Warren Ellis do some space/galaxy event thing with my love, Genis Vell Captain Marvel with the cosmic awareness. OH, that tale....

I think the future of Thunderbolts should be villains who are now brainwashed and given new hero identities - new manufactured memories replacing the old ones.  After a while they characters realize something's wrong and they try to find the answers.

I heard Marvel was going to give FF a rest for a bit so I went along with that.  Pushing Bendis out wasn't intentional, it's just that nothing came to mind as being right for him.

Brubaker on Widow does make sense too.  Has he written her before?

I could honestly see an Ellis Captain Marvel.  Interesting call.
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 03:13:35 AM »

My thoughts as I read down your list:

The Mighty Thor
·         Jason Aaron (W)/John Romita Jr.
·         No way - not JRJ as the artist.  That would ruin the book.

Avengers: International
Defenders
·         Keith Giffen & J.M. DeMatteis
·         Now this would be interesting.  Especially with them on Defenders.

Dr. Strange
Cloak & Dagger
·         Brian K. Vaughan (W)
·         Yes, yes, yes.  I would buy both of these books with Brian K writing them.

Guardians of the Galaxy
·         Jay Faerber (W)/Jamal Igle (A)
·         Very interesting putting Faerber on GotG.  He could make this fun again.

Thunderbolts
·         Peter David (W)/Tom Raney (A)
·         EXCELLENT choice.  Like Jimmy said above, PAD would bring out some really interesting minor characters and make them great on this title.  How can we make this happen??  I want it!!!!!!

Sadly, I have no actual stroke at Marvel to make the Thunderbolts thing happen for you, Jeff.

Thanks to you and Jimmy for your replies.
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 04:22:43 PM »

Well, my creative team idea for Power Man and Iron Fist is actually going to become a thing:

http://taylornetworkofpodcasts.com/2015/10/06/power-man-and-iron-fist-return/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS