HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:10:31 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FLASH  (Read 15451 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 23, 2015, 07:57:28 PM »

Soooo Brett Booth has been on Flash for awhile now. How is the writing? Putting Wally aside for now. And kinda like the GL question, do I have to go back a few issues or can I just start with #41 when it drops? If you know.

Sorry but that damn JL #41 and the new JLA has me kinda pump again about the League members.

Plus I remember liking the third issue of the Finch's WW ... may even try that, knowing that Jimmy was not a fan of the first couple. Hell, I may have read those already, but I am not sure now.  Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 08:30:17 PM »

I added Flash back on my pull list starting with #41.  I like Robert Venditti and he has a good handle on Barry.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 08:59:01 PM »

I added Flash back on my pull list starting with #41.  I like Robert Venditti and he has a good handle on Barry.

Yeah, I like Venditti and that is my plan as well, but I also like Brett Booth, one of the few 90's artist that I can stomach (the other two I know of are Deodato Jr and Capullo) so I was thinking about going all the way back to where he came on.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 02:47:29 AM »

I won't lie; the last 10 issues of Flash were about a Barry-Flash from the future who was traveling back in time to right some wrongs and correct something. So, there was an altercation with Barry-Now and Barry-Future that resulted in some traveling. That traveling lead to a group that meets up with Prof Zoom (who is shown in solicits, I'm not spoiling anything).

So...not that you'll be lost...but it seems like some back story that you may enjoy getting caught up. I'm still reading this! Although, I did just sell those 10 issues for $26, so other people do enjoy them as well. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 02:30:10 PM »

Do you know how far I should go back? Are the Booth issues a good starting point or do I need to go back further?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 03:46:38 PM »

So is #30 good enough, Jimmy or do you remember?

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 01:44:10 AM »

That should be fine, I think.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 02:31:37 AM »

Don't forget to pick up Flash Annual #3 between issues 30 & 31.  It's part 1 of the story that continues in 31.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 09:07:11 AM »

Cool

Thanks guys. Still trying to decide, but if I do I appreciate the help

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 02:24:24 PM »

I'm switching over to trades for this now. Whether or not it's an indication of the book, I can wait the extra months to see how this reads collectively. As I've always said, I enjoy reading about Flash. <comic> Barry Allen? Still a boring cypher to me. I just cannot shake the image of a mature Barry Allen (not necessarily older man) being a hero that most of the world looks up to. This goof nut who is so oblivious in his daily life to the women and friends around him just doesn't connect with this reader.

And way to take one of the most iconic and simply designed but truly beloved costumes and make it look like shit. "flash" lines everywhere! Zee! Zing! Pawee!!  Embarrassed

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 03:19:35 PM »

Bring back the REAL Wally West!!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 06:03:49 PM »

On the "lines" we can all agree, but I can't feel the same as you, or any younger fan, when it comes to Barry because he is what I grew up with. Wally finally, after a long time in the red suit, became a good Flash for me to read about, but it took years and years before I could say he was Flash.

Of course when Barry came back I was so use to Wally that Barry just seemed ... not only old, but slow. How can "this old man" be fast? I know how I feel in the morning and the last thing I want to be is fast ... unless it is in the middle of the night and I am on one of my many trips to the bathroom. (How in the hell did my bladder shrink to the size of Legion Flight Ring I have no idea  Cheesy)

Finally though Barry came back to me as Flash. That will never happen for you, but if Wally ... the true Wally West was to ever return as the Kid Flash, you will, or could possibly, find all the joy I had with him in my early years. He was Kid Flash. And a damn great one at that. I hope you at least have that feeling someday.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 01:46:04 PM »

As The Multiversity and Convergence shows, Wally West is truly out there....but I wonder if DC would hate to put out a mini or maxi series about him currently and see it sell way more than the one about Barry. Wink

I'm sure this Barry can fine. I truly enjoyed the "big" kind of hero Barry can play, as seen when Johns wrote him during 'Blackest Night', and even during Flashpoint (not that I enjoyed Flashpoint's results, but Barry was an interesting character then). I just Venditti needs a bit more going on here for me to be on board.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 04:04:36 PM »

....but I wonder if DC would hate to put out a mini or maxi series about him currently and see it sell way more than the one about Barry. Wink

Oh I am sure they would hate to make all that money  Wink

Would Wally sell better than Barry? Over the long haul, I say no. I know Barry is not your favorite (or jeff's I think) but Barry is the better Flash, if solely for his occupation alone. How well does Barry's job work in the TV series? It works very well. His job keeps him close to police action and thus criminal activity. What were Wally's jobs again? Unemployed? Lottery Winner? Police Mechanic? So he hears how all the cop cars were damaged, after the fight?
 Cheesy Cheesy Wink

Would Wally sell better in the short term? Sure. Just like Jonathan Stewart would sell better than Hal Jordon for a time (if he had not shown his face yet). I would lay odds there are a lot more readers still active in comic buying that grew into Wally as Flash and Jon as GL than that are active (or alive) readers that grew up reading about Barry and Hal. Hell I remember a few guys on CBR asking who the hell this white guy was and where is Jon Stewart when the GL movie trailers started airing.
 Cheesy Cheesy

You 90's guys just want what you're familiar with, I get it, but when DC wiped out its old universe to start this new one, it was only smart to go back to the beginning. Go back to the better options.
 Tongue Tongue Tongue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS