HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:43:05 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DR. FATE  (Read 3308 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 18, 2015, 04:03:53 PM »

Well Jeff wanted to know how this was so I made it my top of the proverbial stack for this week. Sadly.

Yeah, I didn't want to type that last part, but to me (and it may be different for others) this was a skip.

The art was certainly different looking (but also very familiar ... I know I have seen this style somewhere else) and that is a good thing. I am at the point in my life now where "odd" or "very strange" looking art is a welcome sight and this art was definitely not the cookie cutter art style that you find in most comics. Limbs were not stiff and almost seemed to be fluid at times, with wavy lines making up their structure. Facial features over exaggerated. Very "independent artist" style and not something you would normally find in the big two of old (old meaning prior to 2012 or so) At first the look really took me out of the book, even when I immediately appreciated it for being different. But as the book rolled on I think I really got into the style. I enjoyed it and it fit the book very well. I mean, it fit the motif of the book, the book itself was not that good.

And that brings us to the writing. Bottom line I just can't tell you honestly that you will not like this or that you will. It didn't hit for me because I think it is painfully obvious that I no longer enjoy Levitz's work like I use to. Others may still find this a very good read. It is there, a good book, but I just couldn't find the dialog and structure to be of my liking.

So to Jeff in particular, I don't think you will enjoy this for two reason:
1) The art is very strange. Even though I liked it, it took me some time, and I am one that likes funky art.
2) I just don't enjoy Levitz. I don't think you do either, if the last Legion stuff holds true, but as I only read a little of his Legion, maybe this will be better for you. but I am not sold on it.

I can't recommend this to you, Jeff, but I do think you should flip through and see if you find the art okay or good even, and if you do, maybe try to read this first issue. I don't think you will come back for issue 2, but maybe?

3 outta 10 - memories of old.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 04:35:39 PM »

Thanks Perry.  I will flip through it at the LCS to see what you mean about the art but I have no problem skipping this one.  Sadly our heroes of old just aren't hitting it out of the park anymore (i.e. George Perez's Sirens).

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS