HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:55:05 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Omega Men  (Read 9293 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 06, 2015, 10:03:27 PM »

This is NOT your Daddy's Omega Men (Or mine, but that's okay  Cheesy)

Issue #1 is not going to be the most popular new book by DC, but it sure is one that I am really intrigued by and happy to see.

I love how this book almost maintained a 9 panel layout for almost the entire comic. Really made the two splash pages hit with real impact.

This is taking the Omega Men into a darker spot than the original series tried to do. Well no, that is not true. The manner of the Omega Men is still there, but now they seem more true. Not as heroic on the outside, even though I am sure they are/ This is more on the line of true terrorists (in a way  Grin). Makes them a substance ... a true piece, an important one as part of the DCU cosmic.

Will this comic last, if issue #1 is any indication, I doubt it but I sure as hell hope so. Sadly as issue one is not a "great" starting comic, I think a lot of people will not give it the chance it deserves ... and it deserves a chance. Is issue #1 great? No, but I can see greatness just around the corner, if only DC and the fans can see the same.

If buyers give the good ole three issue try, I think they will be hooked. I just hope they give it three issues. It's gonna need it.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 05:08:22 AM »

I know nothing of the Omega Men.

I'm trying a lot of stuff these days...but it's stuff I kinda know, or has been acclaimed by you friends here, or critics alike.

I'm...."eh....." on the Omega Men possibility making it to my box.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 10:54:54 AM »

Trying to decide if this would be a book to have ... with no prior knowledge of the team ... and I would assume the answer would be yes, as nothing in this would be considered entrenched in the old team or books. Sure the characters may be all new(ish) but with this story, it doesn't matter. It is a bit "heady" in it's approach, being this is a group of rebels/terrorists, with the latter being why I think I enjoyed this issue so much. I always thought that would be the best way to tell their story; as a group of radicals (only in that they would appear to be that from the other side's point of view. Not that they actually are ... per se)

One character, Broot (one of my favorite 'strong guys', even though his name is a little on the nose) is great here in his limited appearances and Tigorr (whose name is not only on the nose, it's on the lips, eyes, chin ...  Grin) was just a bad-ass like I have never seen him and that was also very cool.

Still, this is not what I would call a safe "recommend", but based solely on the context of the title, not due to being unfamiliar with the team.
 Smiley

I do suggest a "Byrne" however, if you get a chance.
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 01:01:21 PM »

Damn it! This title will not last. I love the approach that DC is taking with this title, but fan's are not supporting this. I have no idea how the exact sales are going (need to hit the LCS or ask Dave next time I talk to him) but I have heard this is not selling well and I think the reason is this book is just not for the typical DC buyer. If this was on Vertigo, I think it would have a much better chance as it just feels like a Vertigo title, but ... I don't know, it just feels like a book that should be pulling a lot of praise and I am just not hearing anything.

Much like the Batgirl cover that had the homage to the Joker shooting Babs, I think the tone is a little outside the "hero" title that most DC (and Marvel) titles push and sell.

Great book. Won't last.  Cry

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 01:27:32 AM »

Wow ... the art took a turn on this issue. Hope this is a fill-in spot for this artist as this is just not for me. If this artist stays on, I will have another DC book gone from my pull.

That aside, I still like this book. Still not a lot happening though. O think that needs to change soon. Probably why people are leaving or not picking up the book ... plus I can bet the art in this issue scared even more away. Damn sure didn't add any new readers in droves with it.
 Sad

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 01:40:37 AM »

Ouch.  That's too bad.  I was hoping it would pick up some traction.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 07:44:44 PM »

HELL YEAH !!!!

Clicky Here

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 08:49:57 PM »

That is GREAT news!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 05:56:33 PM »

So I also finished, along with the fantastic Vision, Tom King;s other 12 issue series Omega Men last night. And while not quite as impactful on the whole as his Vision (except for some parts here and there that those familiar with the team would feel perhaps almost as powerful), this book does speak a yarn worth reading.

I had a couple issues,. well one, I had one issue with where Mr. King took one of DC's characters, but at the same time, I can also respect that what he did was make this character mean something. And that is something that this character has not seemed to persuade this reader to think in some time. This particular character is about as redundant as anything in comics now anyway. So taking this character to this new level did some good, I feel. Maybe not now, but in the long run, at least in my eyes.

I really wish I knew if DC was now planning anything with this team, thanks to the critical response of this series, but I have a hard time seeing them bringing this team back for the foreseeable future. Heck, maybe due to this story itself, sadly, but maybe they, the Omega team in general, is something best left in the past for now anyways? As it stands for me, I know there is a part of the team I will leave behind, with fond memory.

Omega Men 1-12
9 outta 10 Planets of importance
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 01:26:35 AM »

Just read the Preview and issues 1-4.

This is an amazing series.

I just wish someone around here would have told us this was great and maybe we could have saved it.  (If we'd listen)  Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 12:41:34 PM »

Cheesy  Right?  Cheesy Cheesy

It is really good.

Ya know, and this may only be because the last two books I really, really enjoyed were in this style, but I now wish that all comics were based on limited series runs.

I know that may sting the fans of seeing numbers like Action Comics #966 but think about it, having a series or a creative team's finished product be numbered 1 through 6 or 1 through 12 or 1 through 15 or 18 or 22 ... whatever that may be, be numbered from start to finish? Oh yeah, I could see that. Same writer, same artist issues #1 through whatever. No fill in artist. Just the original creative team. Ya know, have Marvel and DC be a little more like Image comics. Except they can change the creative team, change the volume when the creative team changes.

Of course this would mean a effort has to be placed on editorial to allow them to do this, no major changes in the respective universes can be had, there has to be time allowed to allow the artist to get a major, major jump on the title so there would be no late books and there would need to be a better way to label the books, so there would be work to be done to get this going. But I'm sorry, having read two series back to back from start to finish, that had the same creative team, that were able to tell their entire story ... it is worth doing this.
 Smiley

EDIT - Or it could have just been solely the writer that I enjoyed so damn much, too
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 12:43:44 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 02:11:08 AM »

Issues 7-12 - done.

How is this series not part of DC's rebirth?  This was some of the best storytelling I've read all year. THE BEST.  I'm almost speechless with this ending.  I want more!

Tom King really out did himself here.  I hope they come out with a 12 issue sequel.  It's just ripe with future plot potential.

10 out of 10 fallen lanterns for the whole series.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 10:49:17 AM »

Made great use of Kyle at least.
 Wink

Was a great run, though I was sad that
Nimbus was not in this series (but was on one of the wanted posters  Grin). I guess that character didn't fit in with the story, and I can see why. Still, I liked that dude. Better than Harpis I think whom I can do without (and did as she wasn't in this series. Haha).

Also saddened that
Broot is no-longer with us, but as his name is really just a title or mockery, I suppose any of the Changralyns could technically take his place. Yeah? And loved how much more vicious they made Tigorr !!!

Great title and a shame that this, unlike Vision which was a semi-planned 12 issue only run, was canceled due to poor sales. I can only image what King could've done ... maybe even include that character that was in that wanted poster?
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 05:20:56 PM »

I agree with you on both of those spoilers. I bet if he could go longer we could see one or both of those.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS