HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:55:00 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Captain America: Civil War  (Read 13133 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 03:44:06 AM »

We're going tomorrow morning. Squeal!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 02:03:07 PM »

In the theater now. Starts in minutes!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 05:45:01 PM »

In the theater now. Starts in minutes!

That was a lot of fun. Winter Solider is still my favorite but Civil War is good.

krono0666
HR Vigilante

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 09:32:36 PM »

Personally, I thought the movie was fantatstic.  I'm not sure it's the best Marvel (or even the best comic book movie) ever, it is still really well done.  I think I still place Winter Soldier above this one.

So what worked?  This movie has some of the best action scenes of a comic movie.  The hand-to-hand stuff is a little hard to follow because of use of shakey cam and quick edits, so that's disappointing, but everything else was done so well... particularly the airport scene.

Characters are also well done.  One of the main problems I had with Batman V Superman is that the characters were completely underwritten.  And yet, with all of the characters floating around in Civil War, a lot of the characters felt like real characters.  You could feel the guilt and pain in the Scarlet Witch.  You could see the awkwardness and longing in the eyes of Vision.

You actually understood why they were fighting.  The main fault I had with Batman V Superman is that neither character we stating arguments about the same issue.  Superman's issue was that he felt the world didn't need a hyper-violent vigilante like Batman.  Batman's motivation, on the other was not the opposite of that, though.  Batman was beating up on Superman because he felt like anyone with that amount of power could not be trusted and so should be put down.  Those aren't even flip sides to the same arguement!!!  In Civil War, however, you understood why each side was doing what it was doing. Same topic of discussion... different sides of the arguement.

Spider-man and Black Panther were AMAZING!

Some of the things I didn't like:

Again, some of the action get's lost in shakey cam and rapid editing.  A shame... because some of those fights looked niced.

Marvel still has a weak badguy.  While i'm not saying that there needs to be a world-threatening evil, I wish the motivation was stronger and not so cliched.  And I wish the villain didn't have to go about his plan in such a convoluted way.

Otherwise, I thought the movie was really enjoyable and I highly recommend it.

"Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 08:27:22 PM »

I would probably rank this movie as my second favorite comic movie, right behind the last Cap movie.

Very, very, very well done.

While the story may have placed this movie just below the Winter Soldier movie, just below, the way they worked all the heroes in, never once feeling like any were just "there to be there", was just an incredible piece of work. Yes, an amazing job all around.

And
the fight between Rogers and Stark, that was what a "vs" looks like.  Grin Oh, Spidey was more Spidey in this movie than in any movie before. These guys know their characters.

Yep, I have no issues with this being my second best Marvel flick.

9 outta 10 ... easily.
 Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 12:07:14 PM »

Oh, I quite liked this movie. I thought the weaving of the old time car accident in the past to the current events, to a huge dramatic personal finale was so very well done.

I won't lie that it was "hard" to watch-as this movie was about breaking down, and breaking apart relationships, and that in itself was highly depressing!! I had wondered going through the movie, knowing the possible final moment of the movie, if I could believe that theses characters would once again stand side by side as allies in some future event. I think so...but man, it's gotta be well written.

Were both Tony and Cap's arguments believable? Tony moreso, for stating that as a gov't sponsored team, then yes, there is oversight. Cap didn't get to run WW2 as he wanted, there were Generals, and intelligence briefs, and recon. No unit in the war got to do what they saw fit. However, Cap's fears were entirely correct. Having selfish humans in control of major powers with those "toys" in their chest to control what they want? Sounds like a fear everywhere.

I laugh a little bit, wondering that if they some how could have actually talked at the airport about Cap's mission, then that multi-million dollar fiasco of a fight could have been avoided.  Cheesy

I thought all the characters had a great moment or two. Tony's drive again flip-flops this movie all based on what he feels most-but at least his personal selfishness/self-centeredness is consistent through all the films, if only to define why what he does is so inconsistent. Which also plays so great into the final act/fight, since he states "I don't care"-and that's true; he doesn't care at all what any other person thinks. That's how Cap essentially started the movie; by not joining with the NATO compact. Except, for Cap, what he says "I don't care; that's not right." Tony's line is "I don't care. I do what I want for me." Wink

I loved Black Panther's single minded devotion to his task. I want more.

Spider-man was really good. I was *almost* at one point wondering if I was going to get annoyed at how much he was talking or blathering, but I found that it was still okay and I could enjoy the whole thing.

I will say this: There was no reason for Ant-Man to actually fight like he did. He finally "mostly" put himself on the straight and narrow, and then to do something to get his ass thrown in jail, for life this time, because a super-buddy asked you to fight for Cap? This was the biggest stretch of anything in the movie.

I'm glad that annoying, terrible editor/cinematography action of the first act stopped. I rather hated the first Bourne movie because I couldn't see shit in the fights, and the first act was like that in this movie. Even my wife complained how awful it was to watch the opening of the movie. At least that got better.

I could enjoy a dark buddy cop team up movie of Bucky & Falcon. Grin

I'm sad that I didn't get the Zemo I had hoped for. No, it wasn't because he wasn't wearing his purple sock head garb. It's because it was clinically depressed man at the end of his rope fighting through his revenge, and not the world dominating mastermind of Baron Zemo. (and yes, I realize that typing that there-"world dominating mastermind" is rather what movie Zemo did-but he's still not doing in the Zemo way Wink )

I love how the Russian super soldier thing didn't mean anything. Great red herring!!!

If there's a Cap 4, I would predict that it's time for Nomad! And crazy John Walker!!!

That's what I have for right now, before rereading stuff in this thread! Smiley

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 12:45:22 PM »

I will say this: There was no reason for Ant-Man to actually fight like he did. He finally "mostly" put himself on the straight and narrow, and then to do something to get his ass thrown in jail, for life this time, because a super-buddy asked you to fight for Cap?

This was one of the two things that really got me. Not enough to ruin the movie or anything, but yes, kinda pings the ole "What?" meter. I was really hoping that Scott would have at least told Tony, when Tony was asking him about this very thing, something that made sense ... or at least SOME reason. I don't care if he would have just verbalized "Hey, When Cap calls you come" or some other bull about "What kind of man would I be to let my daughter grow up in a world where ..."

Just something! But nooooo

I agree with you 100% Made no sense for Scott to do this without at least telling us why. We know the other character's "motivation", but why would Scott do that? Why risk it?

The other thing that kinda bugged me was the ease in which Zemo did what he did. I don't mind the journey getting the book, but to just get into a SHIELD base the way he did and then, the real killer, get lucky enough to have the three men needed to "break apart" the Avengers, to get lucky enough to have those exact three men in the room, at that time ...??  Yeeeeaaahhhhhh ? ...? ...?
That's some hella scheduling by Zemo there.
 Cheesy

But still, one hell of a ride and easily in my top three
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 05:48:57 PM »

Zemo was my only gripe.  I didn't mind the villain being someone who wanted revenge but it could have been anybody.  Zemo needed to be saved for a real Baron Zemo story.  He is a great character and that was lost here.

But yeah - this is in my top 3 as well if not top 2.

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 02:51:20 AM »

i went and saw this for the 2nd time today.  i have to say that i think all of the Cap movies are the best in the Marvel franchise.  I can't say which one is the best because i think all 3 of them rock. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS