HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:16:46 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beserker Unbound  (Read 3279 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 19, 2019, 02:29:46 AM »

Berserker Unbound

From the creator of Black Hammer! A merciless sword and sorcery warrior finds himself blasted through a wormhole to a modern-day metropolis where he must protect those around him from an evil wizard determined to send him to hell. From the Eisner Award-winning team of Jeff Lemire, Mike Deodato Jr., and Frank Martin comes this urban warrior fantasy series!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

How did I miss this?  There's already two issues out!  Jeff Lemire?  Mike Deodato Jr?  I am sooooo on this!!  (I don't even care what it's about.  I must have this!)

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 01:15:56 PM »

Wait for a sale.

Okay, maybe not. Maybe it will hit better for you, but issue #1 of this is JUST LIKE and I mean as a carbon copy with plot, look and feel of Savage Avengers #1. In-fact, I said just that about a month ago  Wink

Beserker Unbound #1 - Ugh. The timing of this is bad. Real bad. Reads like Savage Avengers #1

(Maybe I should have gone over the creative team in my post, but I thought you were well aware of the title, buddy. My bad)
 Undecided

But yeah, it was pretty much like rereading SA#1 all over again. I mean that is what Deodato was working on right before leaving Marvel, so of course the look is going to be the same, but it also read the same ... even though the over all events are different ... the core is still the same. What hurt worst was that SA #1 only came out about a month prior to this

Issue #2 felt more original ... no, not really, it felt like it also had been done before, but not as deja'vu inducing  Grin

As it is only a four issue mini, I am still going to read it through completion but I found it lacking. However I am sure you will enjoy it more than I did as you have not read Savage Avengers yet, so if nothing else, that will be beneficial for you
   Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 04:00:30 PM »

Ah. I do remember that post from you but didn’t think anything of it at the time.  Hmmmm.  Lemire isn’t perfect. I didn’t really like his Animal Man.  I might just wait until you finish it and see what you think in the end.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 05:01:26 PM »

One thing I will say is that I honestly am not sure that the writing has any issues, but keeping this and that Savage Avengers first issue separated is damn near impossible and having read that first, well, yeah. I know the creators both wanted to work with each other, and I think they have something else lined up after this mini (I think it is with Lemire, but Deodato is doing another creator owned project after this), but the timing of this ... man the timing.

Especially considering, from what I have read, that this is what Deodato wanted to do with Lemire!

Did that come from meeting with Marvel about SA? I don't know, but, yeah, sucks. The timing that is, not the book.  Grin It is a decent enough story, but yeah, it's Savage Avengers #1 and surely that "What If Conan ..." issue all over. If you like that, you should like this. But still, wait for the cheaper offering
 Wink

And oh, I did look and this came out a full three months after Savage Avengers hit, but I think I may have not read SA until a month before this hit, thus my problem.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS